Need Help! Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

I have just resurrected my Boxford TCL160 conversion.
    I have chosen to use the ESS Smoothstepper with the CM016 BOB.
    I need some help on the wiring arrangement from the BOB to the Spindle motor controller(Inverter drive) To include Fwd, Rev, Start etc

My CM106 booklet says 'for DC voltage control'you can change the speed of the motor by connecting the inverter. You use No1 pin in Port2
    This is confusing me.
    Does anyone have a schematic showing these connections made ?

I'm using the Frequol Z024-UL inverter which I have attached the schematics, I assume I am connecting the output of the break out board to pins 4 & 5

Any help at all would be appreciated.
    Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-dsc03504-jpg

Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-dsc03501-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-dsc03502-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

0-10v or 0-5v connects to pin 2 and 5. Look at page 77 of the manual. pin 5 is common and pinw is 5 or 10v.

Make sure you set the [parameters in the inverter to which you want to use 5 or 10 volts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bevins,

I think you mean pins 5 & 2 not pinw, am I correct.
    Would I be correct in saying that the 'Start forward rotation' is taken from one of the relay ports on the CM106 BOB

Thanks

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Your VFD allows you to connect a three terminal POT to control the speed. Pin 10 according to your VFD manual is connected to 5V, Pin 2 is the center wiper terminal, and Pin 5 is analog common terminal. You must make sure your BOB only outputs 5V for your VFD, many use 10V instead. You will need to connect the + voltage out from the BOB to terminal 2, and the common on the BOB output to terminal 5. This will allow the BOB to send an analog voltage to the VFD. You also must configure the VFD to accept control remotely instead of using the panel controls. The forward and reverse relays will also need to be wired to be able to turn on the spindle remotely.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Your VFD allows you to connect a three terminal POT to control the speed. Pin 10 according to your VFD manual is connected to 5V, Pin 2 is the center wiper terminal, and Pin 5 is analog common terminal. You must make sure your BOB only outputs 5V for your VFD, many use 10V instead. You will need to connect the + voltage out from the BOB to terminal 2, and the common on the BOB output to terminal 5. This will allow the BOB to send an analog voltage to the VFD. You also must configure the VFD to accept control remotely instead of using the panel controls. The forward and reverse relays will also need to be wired to be able to turn on the spindle remotely.

Russ
    Thanks Russ,
    Yep my Break out board (CM106) can be set to either 5v or 10v output so no issue there, thanks for the heads up.
    I'm using Mach3 Turn for control software so I can set the configuration there.
    STR (Start reverse) & STF (Start forward) need to be wired through relay contacts of the CM106, not yet sure how Mach 3 does that.

There is also one pin on the Inverter which is MRS which controls ramp up and down, do you know how this is configured from Mach3 ?

These are the only connections originally used in the Boxford TCL160 setup.

Thanks

George

Downloads
    Uploads

In Mach3 under spindle you say relay control. The ramp up and down on a spindle is controlled by changing the acceleration and deceleration parameters in the VFD. I can send. You more info on Mach3 changes tomorrow while in front of machine

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

In Mach3 under spindle you say relay control. The ramp up and down on a spindle is controlled by changing the acceleration and deceleration parameters in the VFD. I can send. You more info on Mach3 changes tomorrow while in front of machine

Russ
    Great,

Many thanks Russ.

Downloads
    Uploads

George,

Here is what you need to do for the spindle.

First start with the ESS Plugin Configuration
    Two relays need to be defined and you also need to define the analog output pin.

For example:

ESS PINS CONFIG
    Port2-Pin1 Out Active Low Relay1
    Port2-Pin14 Out Active Low Relay2
    Port3-Pin17 Out Analog Speed Output

ESS OUTPUT SIGNALS
    Spindle On Enable ESS Spindle Speed
    Spindle FWD Enable ESS Relay1
    Spindle REV Enable ESS Relay2

MACH4 CONFIGURE

OUTPUT SIGNALS
    Spindle On Mapping Enabled Spindle Speed
    Spindle Fwd Mapping Enabled Relay1
    Spindle Rev Mapping Enabled Relay2

SPINDLE
    0 6000 rpm 24000 rpm
    bottom of that page
    max spindle 24000

Now every board that adds the spindle relays and output works slightly differently, I have not looked at your CM106 board, will take a look this morning. But this will be very close to what you need to get your spindle working.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

George,
    I provided instruction for using MACH4, but just noticed you did not say which CNC software you are using, and Mach3 will be different set of instructions. Port2-Pin1 is the where the variable DC voltages leaves you CM106 breakout board which goes to the VFD.

The CM106 appears to have 7 user relays: on Port-1, Pin1, Port1-Pin14, Port1-Pin16, Port1-17, Port2-Pin14, Port2-16, Port2-Pin17

The board is taking PWM signal from the ESS and converts that to a voltage that is sent to the spindle.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Re: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

George,
    I provided instruction for using MACH4, but just noticed you did not say which CNC software you are using, and Mach3 will be different set of instructions. Port2-Pin1 is the where the variable DC voltages leaves you CM106 breakout board which goes to the VFD.

The CM106 appears to have 7 user relays: on Port-1, Pin1, Port1-Pin14, Port1-Pin16, Port1-17, Port2-Pin14, Port2-16, Port2-Pin17

The board is taking PWM signal from the ESS and converts that to a voltage that is sent to the spindle.

Russ
    Thanks Russ,
    I'm using Mach3, is there an upgrade cost option upgrade for Mach4 ?

Things are slowly coming together here.
    As I said earlier I resurrected my Boxford TCL160 lathe which I shelved last year just before I retired.
    I purchased an ESS Smooth stepper and CM106 combination.

Today I powered up the ESS for the first time.
    I ran the Warp9 SCU and acknowledged that my ESS was indeed at 10,9,9,9
    All seems fine in Machmill but I'm having some teething issues with Machturn. I'll need to go onto Art site to see if here are any known issues.
    But for now I'm happy to get any instruction on my spindle set up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russ,

Do you have the settings for Mach3,
    I'm looking at Engine Config Ports and Pins - Spindle Setup but I'm still confused.
    Ports & Pins output signal are by default
    Output #1 enabled checked Port 1 pin 14
    Output #2 enabled checked, Port 1 pin 17
    Output #3 enabled checked Port 0 Pin 0 ??

Where from here ?

Thanks
    George

Downloads
    Uploads

George,

Take a look at this document. The Mach3 setup is detailed starting on page13 with this board. They do cover the spindle settings as well. This should match what you need to do. If you have any questions let me know.
    Russ

http://cnc4youstore.com/images/Ebay%...ual_rev2_1.pdf

Georgie

George,

Take a look at this document. The Mach3 setup is detailed starting on page13 with this board. They do cover the spindle settings as well. This should match what you need to do. If you have any questions let me know.
    Russ

http://cnc4youstore.com/images/Ebay%...ual_rev2_1.pdf
    Sorry Russ, I'm being a bit thick here,

I have had a look at the doc on setup particularly with regard to the spindle setup but I still need some help.

Back to basics, As I understand it....

I believe the Smooth stepper generates a PWM signal to control the speed of the Spindle motor.

The CM106 BOB takes this PWM signal and converts it to 0-5Vdc or 0-10Vdc to control the Inverter.
    Is this correct ?

Then the resultant output of 0-5Vdc on port 2 Pins 1 & Gnd Is connected to my Inverter drive on Pins 2 & 5. Correct ?

What is the correct setting in the Ports & Pins for Spindle Setup ?

Do I uncheck the Disable spindle relay and set output signals No1 to Port 1 pin 14 (M3 clockwise) and output 2 to Port 1 pin 17 (M4 Counter clockwise) Correct ?
    Again in Spindle setup, what is the correct setting in Motor Control options (which boxes are checked) ?

What is the correct setting in the Ports & Pins for Outputs For Spindle ?

Sorry to be a pain but I want to make sure I get it right.

Regards

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

George,

ESS > PWM signal > BOB > Voltage > VFD

The ESS does generate a PWM signal for Spindle Speed, but only if you go into ESS plugin setup and check the box on the first screen of the setup.

The BOB converts the PWM signal and to an analog voltage with a range of 0-5V or 0-10V depending on how you configure the BOB. You VFD as I recall wanted 0-5V. This voltage comes out of Port#2 Pin#1

That output voltage goes to the VFD analog input which is Pin2 and the analog ground is pin5.

Things to check:

ESS setup make sure under spindle PWM output is checked

Mach3 setup

Ports & Pins:
    spindle enabled, step pin#1, direction pin#0, step port#2, direction port#0

Spindle Setup:
    disable spindle relays should be UNCHECKED
    output# 1 should be in this box
    output# 1 should be a "1" if you don't need the spindle to be able to reverse directions

Motor control
    use spindle motor output should be checked.
    pwm control should be checked.

Mach3 Output Signals:
    output#1 enable port#1 pin#14 This one is used to turn on the spindle
    output#2 enable port#1 pin#1 unassigned
    output#3 enable port#1 pin#17 unassigned
    output#4 enable port#1 pin#16 unassigned, but could be used to reverse spindle if needed

When you have all of this setup make sure you save before exiting the setup stuff.

Now if you edit the road runner sample gcode file and change the spindle speed to 6000 from 60.

M3 (start Spindle)
    S6000.000000

Why? Well you are going to use that file for testing. The water cooled spindle have a range of 6000 to 24000 rpm. If you try a gcode file where the spindle speed is below 6000 the relay will never click.

Under the spindle tab you also put the spindle speed range, the highest is 24000 and minimum is 6000

Let me know if you have more questions.

Russ

Georgie

Thanks Russ, I have set all that and will give Roadrunner a dry run tomorrow,

Couple of questions.

Outputs 1 & 2 C& CCW should both be set to 1 if no reverse is required ? correct?

I don't see where to set the Spindle Max & Min Speeds in the Spindle setup tab ??

Spin up & Spin down are all set to 1 Sec, Do these need altering at all. ??

george

Downloads
    Uploads

It really doesn't matter what you put in the CCW relay box, as it won't get used unless you use an M4 in your g-code.

Spin up and Spin down depends on your spindle.
    When mach3 sees an M3, it starts the spindle, then waits for the spin up delay before continuing with the g-code. So, if set to 1, it can start cutting 1 second after starting the spindle. If you're spindle takes longer to get up to speed, you may want to increase it.
    Spin down is the opposite, waiting for the specified time after the spindle is turned off.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

George,
    Ger21 is correct, if you put a one in CCW box it would still turn on the motor clockwise, or you can leave it blank as he suggested. Most people don't need reverse unless they have a spindle with and encoder and they do tapping. In those cases the spindle needs to be able to go in both directions.

Russ

Georgie

Thanks Gerry.

Georgie

Looks like I'm good to go for a quick test, meanwhile the Golf Course is calling so I'm oot of here for now. I'll report back on the result.

By the way, I cant use 'roadrunner' on this one because I an conjuring for Mach Turn (Lathe)
    For the moment I just want to ensure the spindle motor Starts and stops!
    Still cant see where to set max and min speeds you suggested 6000 and 24000

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Georgie,
    When I gave you the spindle range that was for the typical Chinese spindle that works with a VFD. Lathes often have regular motors that can be run at much lower speeds. Check you motor.

Russ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast