Need Help! Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

Georgie

Default Re: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

Hi Russ, check this out please,

I still need to confirm the pins on the breakout board to connect to my inverter drive.

I'm assuming that I connect the normally open contact of my BOB to the input of the VFD
    For example Port 1 pin 14 is connected to the Start pin on the VFD, is this correct ?

George

Downloads
    Uploads

George,

If you look at your photo way back at the beginning of this thread that shows the VFD connections.

STF - Forward This connects to Port1-Pin14
    STR - Reverse This connects to Port1-Pin16

Those relays will turn the VFD on/off and allow you to go forward and reverse.

The speed is controlled by connecting
    Port2-Pin1 to VFD pin#2 that takes an analog voltage.
    You also need to connect the analog ground on the VFD pin#5 to the analog ground right next to Port2-Pin1 which provides the reference.

After you have all of this connected, and even if the VFD is powered down, you can test the relays.
    This is actually recommended.

Now once you have the wires in place and the VFD unplugged from the wall. Issue the following command

M3 S6000
    When you do this you should hear one of the relays click, if you can't hear it click you have something configured wrong in Mach3/Mach4

M4 S6000
    When you do this command you should also hear a relay click.

M5
    This should turn off the relays and you will probably hear that as well with a light click.

After you know the relays are clicking you are ready for the next step.

You will need to modify a few parameters in your VFD before it can be controlled remotely. Have you done that before. If you provide the name of your VFD and the exact model or provide a link to the manual for your VFD and I can tell you which parameters need to change. You need to be careful when changing parameters in the VFD. Setting the wrong parameters in a VFD can damage the VFD or spindle so only touch the parameters needed.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

George,

Did you get the relays clicking?

Russ

Georgie

Russ

Not yet, now that they are connected I'll try this afternoon. I have connected the NO contacts to the VFD, Do I leave the CM contacts unconnected?

I'm confused with VOC Power select.
    Manual reads " Open collector output port, It is assigned 6,7,8 & 9 in Port2 and can join motor driver & can link wit the relay for exterior control too. ??
    Power VOC using here can select below pins (See Schematic)
    If you connect with motor driver, use 5V if the relay, Use 24v.

Also
    Can I hook up all Pulse+ & Dir+ from all drives to a common 5Vdc supply or can I leave them as shown in the schematic. ?
    Where do I connect the other pin of the Estop?
    Where do I connect my limit switches. ?

George

I know I'm being a bit thick but I want to make sure I get it correct.

Once that's done I can ask about spindle encoders*

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-cm106-pdf  
    Last edited by Georgie; 02-14-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Bad Image uploaded.

Georgie

Re load image.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-cm106-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor

George,

Not yet, now that they are connected I'll try this afternoon. I have connected the NO contacts to the VFD, Do I leave the CM contacts unconnected?

The CM contacts connect to the VFD on the Common, hard to see the picture of the VFD clearly but it appears to be labeled SD? Did not have a link the VFD manual but you must connect this to the common the the VFD. If you look at the picture on the VFD photo it shows switches going from the Common to various inputs. The relays on the CM106 board are really just replacing the switches, is the easiest way to understand what is happening.

I'm confused with VOC Power select.
    Manual reads " Open collector output port, It is assigned 6,7,8 & 9 in Port2 and can join motor driver & can link wit the relay for exterior control too. ??
    Power VOC using here can select below pins (See Schematic)
    If you connect with motor driver, use 5V if the relay, Use 24v.

I can understand your confusion on the VOC power select. What this actually is is the voltage applied to the collector of the transistor outputs 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9. If you are not using those outputs it does not matter. If you connect those outputs to TTL inputs meaning low voltage inputs you need to select the 5V option. If you are using the output to drive a 24V relay you would select 24V.

Also
    Can I hook up all Pulse+ & Dir+ from all drives to a common 5Vdc supply or can I leave them as shown in the schematic. ?

The differential outputs from the CM106 connect to the differential inputs on the Servo Drives, they do not connect to 5V. You have two connections for Step, and two connections for Direction on each servo drive.

The servo drive itself normally requires 24V, so look at your manual on your servo drive and you will probably be able to confirm the voltage for the driver. Normally the differential inputs are going into differential receivers inside the amplifiers, in most cases they are optically isolated but this depends on the driver you have selected, but this is pretty common.

Where do I connect the other pin of the Estop?

The Estop is a normally closed switch, and one pin ties to a pin on the CM106 board and the other end ties to either +5V or GND. You configure the ESTOP inside the CNC software. This depends on if the CM106 is expecting as well. I will find the manual and let you know for sure.

Where do I connect my limit switches. ?

Limit switches and homing switches are both connected to inputs. HOWEVER, if you are using one of the limit switch on each axis as a combined switch that needs to be know. If you homing switches are different switches than limit switches you treat them differently.

First lets assume you have separate limit and home switches. The limit switches are normally all wired in series from one switch to the next switch. One end of the switch chain normally ties to ground and the other to an input pin. Some people actual chain them all together and also include the enable inputs on their servo amplifiers so if a limit switch is tripped it disables all the servo amplifiers so nothing can move. Keep in mind limit switches are there to protect your machine, if you hit one something is clearly wrong and you need to stop.

Now if you combine one limit/home switch for each axis those will need to have dedicated inputs on the CM106, just like the home switches in the previous scenario. Home sensors always need to have a dedicated input for each axis. The other limit switches can but put in series and taken to another input. Once you decide how you are going to do this I can provide those instructions.

I personally like home sensors that are not combined as a limit switch but again this is personal preference. Then you can run all the limit switches in series and take them to a dedicated input only using one input pin, I also always include the enable signal on my amplifiers so I know for sure the machine will stop if a limit is hit, regardless of what is happening in the software it will just stop moving.

George

I know I'm being a bit thick but I want to make sure I get it correct.

Once that's done I can ask about spindle encoders*

The spindle encoder is will require two input pins on the CM106, these are for A and B phase from the encoder. You configure this in Mach software under encoders and tell it which input pin is A and which input pin in B, you do this under the spindle section.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction. Let me know if your more confused.

Georgie

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    George,

Did you get the relays clicking?

Russ
    The relay clicks when I press start, P1 Pin 14 is connected to STF and the contacts are closing. The DRO runs up to 6000 but I have no voltage on 2 & 5 on the inverter ?? Hence no motor run.

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Georgie,

Check your ESS configuration, go into the MACH plugin area and ensure the spindle PWM output is checked. If that is not check the ESS will not send out the waveform that gets converted to a voltage by the CM106 breakout board.

Russ

Georgie

These are my settings Russ

I'm using and ESS Smooth Stepper with a CM106 break out board.

I'm running Mach3 Turn

Start spindle with S6000, I have no output on pins P2.1 Vdc and ground which are connected to my inverter drive on pins 2 & 5

I have pi 1:14 to turn on the spindle relay and this works fine but I have no spindle movement. ???

The ESS plugin is set to:

Relay control
    Use relay output is unchecked.
    M3 is set to Output #1
    M4 is set to output #1

Motor conrtol
    Use spindle motor output is checked
    Use PWM control is checked
    Use step/dir is unchecked.
    PWM Base freq =5
    Minimum PWM 0%

Thanks

George

Georgie

Hey up Russ,

Good news is the Spindle is now turning and responding well to the M command, voltage output rises from 0 - 5Vdc according to the speed selected, I.e 0rpm = 0Vdc and 25000 rpm = 5Vdc
    A and Z axis are Jogging under manual jog mode ( just got to set up my motor tuning)
    So we are on our way, not to set up the limit switches.

Thanks for your help thus far.

George

Downloads
    Uploads

Georgie,

Great to hear, what was your voltage output problem on the spindle?

Keep in mind you just need to use free inputs for you home switches and chain all the limit switches together into one input. Post a picture of your setup. Thanks

Russ

Georgie

Pulse base freq was incorrect in Smooth stepper.

Ah! that's what the 'Enable input on the amplifiers are for'
    So if a limit switch is hit then the Enable signal is turned of so no more movement. I'll have a look at this.

I was planning on 6 limit switches
    2 for X axis X- & X+ limit
    2 for Z axis Z- & Z+ limit
    I would like to tie the Homing on each axis to these switches also.

I have an 8 way tool turret and I want to Know when I am at tool1 so I will use another switch there.

I have plenty inputs so I will probably use one for each switch..

George

Downloads
    Uploads

The way the combined home limit switch works is as follows

When homing it looks for that input to fire. If the switch is tripped at any other time it is treated as a limit.

When combined you can not include them in the limit chain, the combined switches need dedicated inputs

Russ

Georgie

added imageThanks Russ, moving on,,
    I need to hookup my spindle index pulse opto's
    I have include a sketch of how they are hooked up.
    There are two opto's as shown
    The disc has 100 holes in the inner and one hole on the outer rim.
    So which are my signal pins, ground and supply pins.
    Asuuming 24V do I need a resistor, if so where ??

George

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-tcl160-indexer-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Georgie
    The picture was hard to read. The Red and Blue are the LED positive side inputs I would add 220 or 330 ohm resistors in those lines to limit the Current to the LEDs which can only handle 50ma. Post a better picture and show the emiter arrows on the output transistors. Explain exactly how this was wired. I assume the outer opto produces the true RPM index pulses. The other opto will be producing 100x the RPM, not sure what that is used for on the lathe. I would think the LED power would be on all the time for the opto or it might turn on as soon as the spindle motor starts. What the controller and Mach will want is the transistor outputs to be fed into inputs on your breakout board.

Russ

Georgie

Hi Russ,

Here is the amended sketch of my Opto's together with the data sheet.
    I'm assuming that
    Green is ground
    Blue is signal No1 I connect this to Port 1 Pin 10
    Red is Signal No2 I connect this to Port 1 Pin 11
    Yellow is Vdc 24Vdc or 5Vdc ???

As I understand it the 100 holes in the disc are for speed and the single slot is for in indexing

However
    Just in case we cant get this working I have fitted a single inductive pickup which gives a spindle out as follows.

M3 S1000 = Indicated True Speed = 60
    M3 S5000 = Indicated True Speed = 360
    M3 S10,000 = Indicated True Speed = 740
    M3 S15,000 = Indicated True Speed = 1120
    M3 S20,000 = Indicated True Speed = 1500
    M3 S25,000 = Indicated True Speed = 1888

It looks fairly linear. But how do I get the requested M3 speed to be equal to the Indicated true speed ?
    The output from my BOB is a 0-5Vdc
    I have set pulley No1 to min speed to 0 and Max speed to 25,000
    Spindle feedback and Spindle averaging are both checked.

Thanks for looking

George.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-rs306-061-jpg   Help needed with ESS Smoothsteper - CM106 to spindle motor-tcl160-indexer-jpg  
    Last edited by Georgie; 02-22-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a strange arrangement with the optos. When Red and Blue get a positive input voltage at the same time the Yellow transistor output goes Low. If either of the Red or Blue leds are turned on independently the Yellow output will do nothing. Green wire is the negative or ground wire. I am scratching my head as to why they would want a output port drive the Red and Blue leds on the Optos?

I will do some google searches, since I don't have the machine schematic

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russ,

An update on my Boxford TCL160

The spindle motor is now running in the correct rotation.
    I measured the output Voltage from the BOB and Max 5Vdc was obtained at a spindle speed of 1880
    I set 180 in the spindle setup with 0Vdc = 0 Rpm and 5Vdc =1880 Rpm
    A single sensor to give true spindle speed is now installed
    Homing sensors in series are now installed and working.

The tool turret (ATC) is giving me a headache. I have a new M6start macro written which does not seem to be working correctly.
    I can rotate the turret on command line by typing in t102, t201, t301 etc etc upt to tool No8 however the turret does not rotate the same amount on each tool number select.
    Have you done any work with this ???

Regards

George

Downloads
    Uploads

George,
    POST the M6start macro you put together and lets see if we can see what is wrong with the code.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    George,
    POST the M6start macro you put together and lets see if we can see what is wrong with the code.

Russ
    Thanks Russ,
    XML and M6atart attached.

Summary:-

I'm having lots of trouble with my 8 Position Turret on my TCL160

I have searched the forums up and down in the hope of finding the correct information from what I can see, I think the M6start was written by Hood (Forgive me if I'm wrong)
    Calling tools from the MDI line works for all the tools entered, however the movement of the Turret is inconsistent. Also If I enter G0 A360 I would expect the turret to rotate 360 Degrees, It doesn't.
    I try repeated G0 A45 in an attempt to get the turret to rotate 45 degrees each time but I get inconsistent moves.
    I also installed a Homing sensor to the turret but that does not seem to help, each time I home the Turret the DR) does not reset to 0 which is what I would expect?
    It's sometimes behave as though it's a 6 tool turret ?
    I have tried many variations of Steps/per in motor tuning but that did not help, tried 33.33, 66.66 etc etc, no luck

I have attached both my XML and M6start files. If M6Start macro is not the best way, what is?

Many thanks

George

Where am I going wrong ??

Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast