Need Help! Encoder input to Smooth Stepper

Thread: Encoder input to Smooth Stepper

Georgie

Default Encoder input to Smooth Stepper

Need some help with hook up details of a Slotted Opto reading the pulses from my Encoder disc.
    I'm using Smoothstepper with Motion Contol Card.

Many thanks

George

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Encoder input to Smooth Stepper

We need a little more info on your problem to help, for example, what motion control software are you using? What type of smoothstepper are you using? What are the details of your encoder?

The ethernet smootstepper does not have the capability to collect encoder pulses yet. We've been asking for that and Warp9 says they are working on it, but no solution yet. I believe it is all in the software, the hardware is setup to receive the pulses. Plus, Mach3 which is most popular hobby control, only accepts single pulse per revolution feedback currently, so the need to get the encoder data into the ESS is not really going to be helpful. Without knowing anything about your setup, if you are using Mach3, setup your opto reader to output 1 pulse per revolution and feed it into your BOB and back to Mach3 via ports and pins setup - assign the appropriate port/pin for your signal to the index pulse input on Mach 3. You should be good to go then, may have to change the active high to active low setting for the port depending on how you feed the signal back in, and possibly some debounce if you have noise.
    Nick

Georgie

Default Re: Encoder input to Smooth Stepper

Hi, Nick.
    Thank you for your response,
    I will indeed use Mach3 with my Ethernet smoth stepper.
    Your explanation is pretty clear, I will set to 1 pulse and read this bak in as you suggest.

Many thanks

George