Help with SmoothStepper configuration

Thread: Help with SmoothStepper configuration

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with SmoothStepper configuration

I have a PC running Windows XP, latest version of Mach3 software, latest version of SmoothStepper driver and plug-in, Probotix PBX-RF RF Isolated CNC Breakout Board, three MondoStep 7.8 Bi-Polar Stepper Motor Drivers, and three NEMA 34 Frame stepper motors. Before yesterday, the breakout board was connected to the PC's parallel port. After three ruined jobs in a row, I tried to find out what's wrong with my system. I decided to use USB SmoothStepper board. After configuring my system to use USB SmoothStepper board, I got my system working but there is problem with E-Stop tripping after the job is completed. I tried to set debounce in Mach3 configuration window to 500 and 30 but E-Stop still trip. The manual for USB SmoothStepper board may need to be updated. How can I stop the E-Stop from tripping? I think that there is no common ground between PC, USB SmoothStepper board, and the CNC router. Do I need a separate power source for the USB SmoothStepper board? What about Kernel Speed in Mach3 configuration window? I set it to 45,000 Hz.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff;

Not sure about the E stop tripping. You may want to check the Mach3 forum, good help there. Machsupport Forum - Index

I just got an Ethernet smooth stepper working and I used a separate 5VDC power supply. I like the smooth stepper so far. It runs a Bridgeport retrofit and I think the machine actually runs better. Finally got away from Turbocnc (DOS) and floppy disks.
    Jim

www.outbackmachineshop.com

Downloads
    Uploads

jsffmorris

Yes you need a separate 5vdc supply for the Smooth Stepper, set the denounce to 2000 & see if that helps as for the Kernel speed this is unimportant when you use the Smooth Stepper, Your computer is just supplying the information, the Smooth Stepper has it's own CPU, it does all the work, not your computer, so if your computer is happy at 45,000Hz then no problem with that, but it could run at 25,000Hz & most likely do the same job

To be getting an Estop, you most likely have some wiring/shields that has not been correctly done

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with SmoothStepper configuration

Set the debounce on the Smoothstepper configuration - that seems to be the one that works not Mach 3's settings. Once I found this, many of my problems went away.