Interference from 1to3 phase converter

Thread: Interference from 1to3 phase converter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 Smoothstepper + spindle/converter interference

Hi there,

I've just finished building a 5 axis cnc machine. I'm just working my way through basic testing. I have had the machine running gcode for a job without the stock there or the spindle running.

I am now moving on to actual cutting, but as soon as I start up the spindle (hit run on the yaskawa v1000 1-3 phase converter), the communication with the smoothstepper falls over. Pushing run = immediate communications error.

It is logical to suspect that there is some electromagnetic interference in play, but I don't know why. The spindle is not being run from Mach3 - totally seperate.

The machine controller is under the x table (about a metre away from the converter). The converter is also at least 1m away from the 3m usb cable from Mach3 Tormach box to machine controller. The power cable supplying the converter and the one supplying 3 phase to the machine controller is about a foot from the USB cable. The Tormach box is about a metre away from the converter.

An interesting thing happens when I started up Mach3 with the spindle already running. It just froze at the Artsoft screen. So far I have tried wrapping the USB cable in foil, but no joy.

Has anyone come across this? Any suggestions/thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably find the answer here.
    http://www.automation.siemens.com/do.../emv_r.pdf?p=1
    Do you have shielded cable or conductors in metallic flex conduit for the VFD to motor?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The smoothstepper is very susceptible to EMI in my experience. I could barely get it to run on the bench connected to a servo. Once it is inside a metal box, it will do a lot better. I am not sure where you have yours located now but I would try to put it in it's own grounded metal box.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Another method of reducing VFD EMI is a 3 phase inductor between VFD and motor.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

USB Smoothsteppers have always been notoriously susceptible to noise issues. The Ethernet version is supposed to be much better.

There's a fix for older boards that has to do with cutting a ground I think. Newer boards should have this fix. Not sure if that's enough to help you though.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)