Ok I uploaded some pics These would be of interest to anyone wanting to get a KX3, smithy 622 cnc or the Novakon nm-134. There sure aren't a lot of photos of this mill on the net. let me know if there are any more pics i can shoot. I won't be able to get any shots of the inside of the column or Y and Z motors due the motor cables being short and preventing me from pulling it back far enough.
I purchased a used Smithy 1240 , The early style . I need help setting up a new version of emc2 or Maybe Mach 3 . Any advice ?
I have a 1240EZ with the EMC/ubuntu control. I ordered it with all the fixing's in October 08. So far a really good deal and smithy has been a great company to deal with. The few small issues I've had are:
1. Ordered with coolant system. Sheet metal leaks a very small bit, I had to spend a bit of time on that.
2. Coolant return hose wasn't a real good size for the bends it has to make. Re did w/ hardware store stuff.
3. Coolant pump is a little weak and seems to lose flow on long cycle times, even with a completely full tank. Don't know if it's overheating or what.
4. I'm probably going to double the coolant volume by purchasing a second tank from Smithy. Between evaporation and coolant soaked chips, the volume in the tank runs low no matter how often I fill it.
5. The standard prox sensors on the xy axes failed due to coolant contamination. Smithy replaced with waterproof sensors at no cost, but it took a full day to replace them.
The machine is quite accurate for the work that I do, and it's got some control features that you usually have to pay big bucks for on name brand (mazak etc.) machines - like macros.
Ready to start machining some AR and 1911 race gun accessories. Just finished with a BobCad-Cam training seminar this summer and ready to tackle some bigger projects. The only problem I have had with the Smithy 1034 is the tank or one of the lines for the one shot lube leaks out some way oil just setting there. I will probably Silicone the tray and start running coolant since I will not be moving the machine any time soon. I haven't used it in so long I will probably have a million windows updates. Wish me luck. Sorry I haven't been on here lately. School projects have been eating me up. No free time.