Automate FTL Lathe

Thread: Automate FTL Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Automate FTL Lathe

I have posted a couple of times about finding a CNC lathe for woodworking since I hurt my hand severely and cannot turn on a manual lathe anymore. I am just a hobby person, not a business.

I have looked at the Shopmaster, Laguna, and the Tormach. Last week I visited the Smithy company and had the opportunity to review the Automate FTL lathe. This looks like the ticket for me. I know I can only turn about a 5 & 1/2" bowl on it but the spindle and vase capabilities is great.

Does anyone have any reviews or experience with using the Automate machines? They have a Seimans controller which I believe is outstanding. I am thinking of going this route asap.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Automate FTL Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Pjblues1 View Post
    ILast week I visited the Smithy company and had the opportunity to review the Automate FTL lathe.
    Did you end up buying the LTF-5, or the FTL-300? Hard to keep track because they have too many different lathes.

Did they have the LTS-5 om their showroom floor yet (similar to the LTF-5, but slant bed)?

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up with the LTF-5. I believe they did have the 6 on the demo floor as well, because I looked at the slant bed as well. I just could not pass up the deal on the 5 since it was a demo. I got a lot of tooling including a live tools for cross drilling or milling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Pjblues1 View Post
    I ended up with the LTF-5. I believe they did have the 6 on the demo floor as well, because I looked at the slant bed as well
    That might have been the SL6, which they have been selling for quite awhile. The LTS-5 is new, and since they don't have any pictures of it in the website, I am guessing it hasn't made it to their sales floor yet. The SL6 has linear bearings instead of box ways, so has about 3x the rapid speed at $4k more. SL6 also has a significantly bigger footprint than the LTS-5/LTF-5.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

One of the biggest difference in the Automate for me versus the Tormach Slant 15 is the true industrial strength and the faster feed and rapid rates.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi wondering if you would be able to give me ballpark price of the LTF-5, how do yo ulike and any link to videos for wood turning with it. Thanks, John