Smithy MX200 CNC Mill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithy MX200 CNC Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smithy MX200 CNC Mill

Anyone own one of these. I like the specs and am on the edge of buying one but Smithy will not allow me to talk to a current owner.
    Cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy MX200 CNC Mill

Quote Originally Posted by WestyOne View Post
    I like the specs and am on the edge of buying one but Smithy will not allow me to talk to a current owner.
    Cheers
    That's usually not a very good sign.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    That's usually not a very good sign.
    Maybe not very many people have bought one? It is a new model, I believe.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Maybe not very many people have bought one? It is a new model, I believe.
    Well, I did say "usually"

However surely there is at least one owner that they can use as a reference.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update - I got some references for the MX200. Very well liked. So I bought one.

Smithy Automate MX200 mill, CNC Masters 1440, CWI Professor CNC Router, various other junk

Downloads
    Uploads

Update - I got some references for the MX200. Very well liked. So I bought one.
    Congrats, looking forward to reading your comments on the machine!

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please update when you receive the mill. I am on the fence between this machine and a Tormach. I really like the MX 200, but like how much info and help is out there for the Tormach. How long is it going to take to receive it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 32Racer View Post
    Please update when you receive the mill. I am on the fence between this machine and a Tormach. I really like the MX 200, but like how much info and help is out there for the Tormach. How long is it going to take to receive it?
    I'm in Canada so I expect delivery in one month. I will certainly offer my opinion on this forum. 4HP, Servo drives, BT30 and a real controller. We'll see.

Thanks

Smithy Automate MX200 mill, CNC Masters 1440, CWI Professor CNC Router, various other junk

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Canada so I expect delivery in one month. I will certainly offer my opinion on this forum. 4HP, Servo drives, BT30 and a real controller. We'll see.

Thanks
    Another Canuck here in Calgary I've been looking at the 425 and am wondering about shiping charges, and duty if any, I know there is the gst. Which city are you in?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Victoria. I'm having the machine delivered to Blain where I will pick it up and bring it across the boarder and "Self Broker" it. Yep, GST. Price to ship to Blain was $850 US.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Victoria. I'm having the machine delivered to Blain where I will pick it up and bring it across the boarder and "Self Broker" it. Yep, GST. Price to ship to Blain was $850 US.

Cheers
    Thats not bad I'd probably just get them to do it I've never brokered anything yet so I wouldn't know where to begin. I'm going down to Modern Tool probably this week my son wants to look at lathes so I was thinking if they could bring it in George the owner could see it and maybe offer them in Canada as they cover most of Canada.
    I lived in Victoria for 26 years I moved here to get work in 81 I'll be out there during the summer visiting family.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well my new Smithy MX200 arrived. Haven't made parts yet but got it powered up. Very poor preparation for shipping resulted in damage. The machine wasn't in a create but was bolted to a steel frame and bubble wrapped. I believe it tipped over during shipping because the shipping frame was badly twisted and the lube reservoir spilled it guts.

Electrical track twisted and damaged
    Front chip door bent by the "Y" axis. (How is it possible for the "Y" axis to travel so far it hits the chip door? WTF?)
    Coolant drain busted up by a fork lift.

All that said I'm still impressed with what is on the machine for the money. Inside the control cabinet is impressive. Nicely laid out with 3 huge big ass Siemens servo drives, spindle drive, electrical wire trays and twin cooling fans. Pro!

The machine is setup with everything it needs to serve well. The 808d Siemens controller is sweet. The fit and finish is typical Chinese. Missing or mismatched bolts, rough edges, scratches...some of the peripherals look used?Too bad, for a little tidying up I would rate it at A+ but as received I give A-.

More to come as I put it to work.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Well my new Smithy MX200 arrived. Haven't made parts yet but got it powered up. Very poor preparation for shipping resulted in damage. The machine wasn't in a create but was bolted to a steel frame and bubble wrapped. I believe it tipped over during shipping because the shipping frame was badly twisted and the lube reservoir spilled it guts.

Electrical track twisted and damaged
    Front chip door bent by the "Y" axis. (How is it possible for the "Y" axis to travel so far it hits the chip door? WTF?)
    Coolant drain busted up by a fork lift.

All that said I'm still impressed with what is on the machine for the money. Inside the control cabinet is impressive. Nicely laid out with 3 huge big ass Siemens servo drives, spindle drive, electrical wire trays and twin cooling fans. Pro!

The machine is setup with everything it needs to serve well. The 808d Siemens controller is sweet. The fit and finish is typical Chinese. Missing or mismatched bolts, rough edges, scratches...some of the peripherals look used?Too bad, for a little tidying up I would rate it at A+ but as received I give A-.

More to come as I put it to work.

Cheers
    I'm glad you like it but it sounds like the shippers used it for a rugby match! Which shipping Co moved it for you was there any damage documentation from them? Someone must know!
    I'm still interested in the Smithy, wondering if it is worth the time to fly down to see it in person being the trusting B*stard I am! I'll start on the inside of the garage next week doing the insulation /sheeting and go from there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry about the machine damage - how out some pics of the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

MX200 up and running. Not perfect but pretty nice.
    Smithy MX200 CNC Mill-cnc-mill-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Westy - that looks great! Is that a tool rack on the table? Sort of a poor mans ATC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea. the tool rack is table mounted and inside the machining envelope. I'm in the process of designing a sliding rack that will retract out of the way with air cylinders. This mod would be incorporated into the "M6" command.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Westy,

What kind of tolerances are you getting out of this machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Domonic View Post
    Westy,

What kind of tolerances are you getting out of this machine?
    So far I can circular interpolate a 2" hole within .0005" (Aluminum plate .5" thick)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! Did you happen to order the 4th axis? Also, that shipment really sucked, hope it all was resolved favorable for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast