Smithy MX200 CNC Mill - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smithy MX200 CNC Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WestyOne View Post
    Well my new Smithy MX200 arrived. Haven't made parts yet but got it powered up. Very poor preparation for shipping resulted in damage. The machine wasn't in a create but was bolted to a steel frame and bubble wrapped. I believe it tipped over during shipping because the shipping frame was badly twisted and the lube reservoir spilled it guts.

Electrical track twisted and damaged
    Front chip door bent by the "Y" axis. (How is it possible for the "Y" axis to travel so far it hits the chip door? WTF?)
    Coolant drain busted up by a fork lift.

All that said I'm still impressed with what is on the machine for the money. Inside the control cabinet is impressive. Nicely laid out with 3 huge big ass Siemens servo drives, spindle drive, electrical wire trays and twin cooling fans. Pro!

The machine is setup with everything it needs to serve well. The 808d Siemens controller is sweet. The fit and finish is typical Chinese. Missing or mismatched bolts, rough edges, scratches...some of the peripherals look used?Too bad, for a little tidying up I would rate it at A+ but as received I give A-.

More to come as I put it to work.

Cheers
    I'm glad you like it but it sounds like the shippers used it for a rugby match! Which shipping Co moved it for you was there any damage documentation from them? Someone must know!
    I'm still interested in the Smithy, wondering if it is worth the time to fly down to see it in person being the trusting B*stard I am! I'll start on the inside of the garage next week doing the insulation /sheeting and go from there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy MX200 CNC Mill

Sorry about the machine damage - how out some pics of the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

MX200 up and running. Not perfect but pretty nice.
    Smithy MX200 CNC Mill-cnc-mill-jpg

Smithy Automate MX200 mill, CNC Masters 1440, CWI Professor CNC Router, various other junk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Westy - that looks great! Is that a tool rack on the table? Sort of a poor mans ATC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea. the tool rack is table mounted and inside the machining envelope. I'm in the process of designing a sliding rack that will retract out of the way with air cylinders. This mod would be incorporated into the "M6" command.

Smithy Automate MX200 mill, CNC Masters 1440, CWI Professor CNC Router, various other junk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Westy,

What kind of tolerances are you getting out of this machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Domonic View Post
    Westy,

What kind of tolerances are you getting out of this machine?
    So far I can circular interpolate a 2" hole within .0005" (Aluminum plate .5" thick)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! Did you happen to order the 4th axis? Also, that shipment really sucked, hope it all was resolved favorable for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Domonic View Post
    Nice! Did you happen to order the 4th axis? Also, that shipment really sucked, hope it all was resolved favorable for you.
    No 4th axis. I got stuck with the shipping damage. Machine should have been crated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ouch, no kidding. Then again, I don't know if a crate would have stopped a fork from breaking through. Sounds like the shipping company was rubbish.

By the way, I looked at your website and it looks like you do a lot of cool things there. The Vacuum mold looks impressive :-). Do you still go back to the manual mill or do you do most of your stuff on the MX200 now?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for visiting my website. Funny thing is that the more CNC machines I have the more I need the manual machines to fix parts and make tooling.... Never sell my good old mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, looks like I might be getting one. Getting a formal quote sent to me, If I end up getting it I will post an update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12