GX-1413 has arrived!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GX-1413 has arrived!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default GX-1413 has arrived!

Well I am happy to say that the lathe has arrived safe and sound.

I had planned out my space pretty well based on Kade's dimension of 66" Wx47"Dx61" H
    Well, this lathe is quite a bit larger than I was told.

I measured 81" wide (not including the motor housing bump out) and 54" deep.
    If I knew it was this large, I probably would have ordered the slant bed SL6 which is published as this size, but the x travel on this thing is really large - there is a ton of room for gang tools even with the turret.

I am about 6' tall and it's over my head (not a big deal).

Also I was expecting it to weigh about 1200kg and its actually 1600kg (3500 lbs)

The initial walk around reveals a very nice build quality and paint job. Kade included a bunch of tool holders for the turret and ER collets too.

I haven't wired it up yet but hopefully in the next few days. . .

The spindle motor is HUGE! Its a 5hp servo which is nice. I like how the cap is red to look like fanuc drives.

GX-1413 has arrived!-img_5667-jpg
    GX-1413 has arrived!-img_5672-jpg
    GX-1413 has arrived!-img_5675-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GX-1413 has arrived!

Might want to retitle your post to the "FL300 has arrived", since it looks like that's what Smithy has finally decided to call it.

Congrats.... looks like a beast!

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim - you're right!
    Actually it's FL300-II !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea!!!! Safe & sound on the ground!!! I knew you could do it!!!

I went through the same size shock. I even sent an image and they still didn't get the size right. I measured it while I was up there thank goodness!! Like yours... they missed the weight too. I was glad I got a larger lift. I think you will like that spindle. I just shut mine down 30 minutes ago. It did a good job today.

Super happy for you Brian!!! Good Work!!! Dan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Read your motor plate, mine was listed as a 5hp and it's actually a 4hp

Downloads
    Uploads

Sin - yeah the spindle motor reads 3.7kw (which is 5hp).

Also regarding your e-stop issue, when I built my Grizzly CNC lathe, there was an estop loop on the VFD. Basically if that loop was broken, the VFD would stop the spindle.
    I bet theres something like that going on w/ yours. Maybe its just a programming issue on the vfd.

Hopefully this Z-Mat made lathe is a bit more reliable than yours, I forgot the manufacturer of yours?
    I know that Dan has been very happy with his.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default GX-1413 has arrived!

Got the machine fired up today! Now to figure out the 808d controller.

BTW, I realized how big this thing is. I think my 3 kids could fit inside - at the same time! And they are 10, 12, and 14 year old!

GX-1413 has arrived!-img_5684-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Sin made me curious abuot the spindle motor so I went to look at mine. Thank goodness for auto focus cameras. There was no way I could see this even standing on my head! I thought since I had the image, I'd share it.

Sin, I wish you could get your machine problems solved. Machines are made to work... not work on! Dan

GX-1413 has arrived!-untitled-1-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a CNC tech here today, he wasn't impressed. He did some work on it trying to get it work right. Worked for a while then it acted up a few hours after he left for the day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well today I was able to run my first part! Very simple face and profile in Fusion 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian, Thats better than waiting for it to arrive!!!
    I can't tell in the video but those look like substancial cuts. Glad you are up!!! Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    I had a CNC tech here today, he wasn't impressed. He did some work on it trying to get it work right. Worked for a while then it acted up a few hours after he left for the day.
    Sin, what exactly is the machine doing / not doing? This is pitiful. You have had to fight this much too long. Dan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a great day today with the new lathe.

Most of my tooling is 16mm square shank - and this turret is set up for 20mm. So I made some 4mm aluminum shims to keep the tools on center.
    One of my tools is a 25mm shank, so I milled it down to 20mm and set it up in the turret.

Here's the turret loaded up so far.
    GX-1413 has arrived!-img_5705-jpg

Also tested out multipass threading. I Programmed a 3/8x16 thread in Fusion 360 and it worked like a charm.
    I have the speed dialed down a bit, but this thing is wicked fast and smooth.

On test cuts I had repeatability to about 0.00005.

Last edited by brianbonedoc; 02-05-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks good Brian!
    I have 3/4" shank tools and I still put a .020 shim uner each one. I did that after having one slip a little early on. No problems since.

I don't know when I made a part last that didn't have threads. I use from 20 TPI to 32 TPI and cut the internals and externals to match. Other than the pesky little half thread on the internals, mine does just like yours. I clean the chips out and screw the parts together. What a pleasure!

So glad you are up and running!!! Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan - how does the 808d handle gang tools with the turret on there? I am not sure how to enter them?

Also, have you played around with C-Axis? Not sure how to code for that or if it even works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Dan - how does the 808d handle gang tools with the turret on there? I am not sure how to enter them?

Also, have you played around with C-Axis? Not sure how to code for that or if it even works.
    I don't know how the 808D wants to do that. I did a "Dan" I only use my gang tooling for drilling right now .... I found the center of my tool and stock... then in my code, I just send the machine to that X,Z coordinate and the code is normal peck drilling from there. I write so much code that this was easier for me than trying to ask or read about how to "Really" do it. I haven't had a reason as yet to look at the C axis. I mostly bore, thread, drill and OD /ID contour with mine. Hope this helps. Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ican View Post
    Sin, what exactly is the machine doing / not doing? This is pitiful. You have had to fight this much too long. Dan.
    The spindle will act up randomly, won't stop or start when it should, when it does that you can't rerun a threading program if you want to chase/adjust your thread fit. Estop doesn't work like it should either.

Downloads
    Uploads

Today I ran my first real part. Everything went smoothly, just have to dial in the code a bit to avoid the birds' nest.

Haven't filled the coolant tank yet either, just sprayed on a bit.

The part came out darn near perfect dimensionally.
    This is 17-4PH, not heat treated. I do have some H1150 coming to test out as well.

The one I didn't spray coolant on heated up a bit.
    GX-1413 has arrived!-img_5717-jpg

Last edited by brianbonedoc; 02-06-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    The spindle will act up randomly, won't stop or start when it should, when it does that you can't rerun a threading program if you want to chase/adjust your thread fit. Estop doesn't work like it should either.
    Sin, I called a guy that worked for Mori Seiki for about 15 years and then Haas... and I have had him fix DMG machines...which as most know are now DMG Mori. Of course, with the disclaimer that he has not seen the machine, he strongly suggests that it could be in the grounding of the machine, spindle or controller. His statements were: 1. Be sure the machine has ground path back to the external wiring box, 2. Make sure the grounding lug in the machine is actually grounded. 3. Check every connection in the machine for a wire that may still have insulation on it and not making contact.

He told a story of a Mori Seiki that would have the E-stop activated.... set there for 5 minutes to two days and be just fine.... then, come on, load the last program run.... and take off without ever being touched. In that unit they found a wire that still had insulation on it, blocking contact.

I have put this out here in the forum so that it might help others as well.

I hope this can help you get up and running. Dan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Brian!
    When you figure out how to get rid of that birds nest.... PLEASE SHARE!!! The nest mine build are for Turkeys!!! Dan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast