Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

I've been needing to do a review on my Automate Raptor 1417 that I have had for a few months now. I've been swamped with business so that kept me from using it a lot. I have mainly used it for barrel work, threading chambering etc. Last night I finally had a chance to program a part, get the tools/material, and run them. I knew this thing was repeatable just from the threading I was doing but I wanted to wait until I had a part I could run back to back to actually see how good it was, this thing is amazing. The biggest struggle I had was figuring out how to program a cnc lathe, you have to have a completely different mindset and on ID work with a fast machine things can go wrong fast. I plan on doing a full review this weekend and get pictures/video up (finally) but I wanted to get this thread started and show off my first product. Here you guys go, this is a Savage standard shank barrel nut. It takes 2 ops, the second is on my 4th axis mill.
    Smithy Automate lathe review and pics-13124695_10208266333208567_715966676510706849_n-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

NIce. Looking forward to seeing more about this machine.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

For chambering and muzzle threads, how do you indicate both radially and axially? Radially is easy with a set-tru style collet chuck and/or 4 jaw, but axially on a CNC you would probably need some kind of ball/socket chuck backplate? I'm some designs floating around for my CNC lathe, just haven't gotten around to making anything yet.

Grabbing a barrel in a 3 jaw and hitting the green button probably isn't good enough for most chamber work.

Any insight into your CNC gun plumbing methods would be a great read!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Somethings will be left not shown because I have spent a lot of time and money developing methods and tools but trust me you can dial a barrel in as good if not better on a cnc lathe as a manual. I see a lot less run out and smoother cutting on the cnc because it is a direct drive versus going through a gear box.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    Somethings will be left not shown because I have spent a lot of time and money developing methods and tools but trust me you can dial a barrel in as good if not better on a cnc lathe as a manual. I see a lot less run out and smoother cutting on the cnc because it is a direct drive versus going through a gear box.
    I'm really looking for more info on what you think of this machine in relation to gun work, we've talked before on other forums about guns stuff and in my searching for info found this thread!! I'm in that bad place where I'm running enough work through to be killing myself with two jobs but can't quite make that jump to full time building just yet so I was looking at the Tormach lathe but that I saw the Automate CNC and though they were a superior machine though the controls seem more of a challenge for the novice, the Haas TL1 really looks nice and is popular in this line of work but I don't want to bite that size of a payment of right now. A full review would be very awesome!!

Downloads
    Uploads

How are you liking the lathe?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
    I'm really looking for more info on what you think of this machine in relation to gun work, we've talked before on other forums about guns stuff and in my searching for info found this thread!! I'm in that bad place where I'm running enough work through to be killing myself with two jobs but can't quite make that jump to full time building just yet so I was looking at the Tormach lathe but that I saw the Automate CNC and though they were a superior machine though the controls seem more of a challenge for the novice, the Haas TL1 really looks nice and is popular in this line of work but I don't want to bite that size of a payment of right now. A full review would be very awesome!!
    Hello bigngreen, please feel free to give us a call, we can send you a simulator of the control. It's about as easy as they come. Thanks 800-476-4849

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am placing an order for an Automate 1413 which is a new model. Just finalizing the lease documents and then figure out how long it will take to get shipped to Canada. Can't wait.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seanphotoguy View Post
    I am placing an order for an Automate 1413 which is a new model.
    I don't see that on their website yet.

What led you to select that model vs their other offerings?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures once you get it.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After several conversations with Kade on the types of parts I wanted and my budget he steered me to this machine, I needed the extra space on the gang plate for lots of tools. I couldn't afford one of the machines with the turret ad I am in Canada and everything is 30% more because of the exchange. I also placed the order for the 1036 mill at the same time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kade sent me the video of that machine. Looks very nice. Basically it's a flat bed, linear way machine, all servo axes. I believe it comes std w/ a 5C pneumatic collet but also a chuck can fit on the spindle nose. It's set up for gang tooling but Kade said because the X travel is 14" he could fit a turret on it too. The overall size is really what I am after. Something a bit larger than the SlantPro and smaller than a car! Actually it measures 66"x47"x61"

Downloads
    Uploads

so when does it arrive?

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It has arrived, waiting for power and tooling, will post some pics soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sean - if u can post pics and comment on the build quality i would greatly appreciate it! I'm looking at that same machine but w a turret installed

Downloads
    Uploads

+++1

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Sean - your inbox is full - tried to send u my email address but it wouldn't go thru.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have video and pics just haven't had time to edit them. I did have to replace the turret because it was faulty and I am waiting to hear back on a problem with tapping. I wanted to get a video of a tapping cycle but that probably won't happen very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    I have video and pics just haven't had time to edit them. I did have to replace the turret because it was faulty and I am waiting to hear back on a problem with tapping. I wanted to get a video of a tapping cycle but that probably won't happen very soon.
    Call me at 800 4764849 generally any issues filters back to me, but I haven't heard anything from tech support staff.

The turret on the 1417 lathe is NOT the Pragati turret and is not built to the same standards as the pragati.

Call me and we will get whatever fixed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kadesmithy View Post
    The turret on the 1417 lathe is NOT the Pragati turret and is not built to the same standards as the pragati.
    would you mind providing some additional explanation of that? Replacement built to the Pragati's standards, or some of your other lathes have higher quality turrets or ???

I don't even know anything about Pragati.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

So now that you have owned the Automate for 4 or 5 months, what do you think?

Thumbs up or down or in between?

Tim

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast