Smithy Automate lathe review and pics - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy Automate lathe review and pics

Dan - yes they are shipping tomorrow- I have the tracking number so hopefully by next wk!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Dan - yes they are shipping tomorrow- I have the tracking number so hopefully by next wk!
    GOOD!!!!! Keep us up to date! Happy for ya!! Dan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan - can you explain to me the A2-5 spindle nose?
    I know the lathe comes w/ a 5C collet chuck, and I can put a 3 jaw on there.

Should I get a 3 jaw power chuck or manual scroll chuck?
    I am not sure how the draw tube system works?

Thanks!
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan - can you explain to me the A2-5 spindle nose?
    I know the lathe comes w/ a 5C collet chuck, and I can put a 3 jaw on there.

Should I get a 3 jaw power chuck or manual scroll chuck?
    I am not sure how the draw tube system works?

Thanks!
    Brian
    Hi Brian,
    The A2-5 is an industry standard and you can adapt about anything you can imagine to that nose, thats about all I know.

Mine has a hydraulic chuck that I have a love / hate relationship with. A power or manual choice I think would depend on your use for the machine. A lot of hydraulic have a rather short opening / closing throw. This is ok if you run a lot of stock the same size over & over and in particular if your parts are short run time parts per each. We have some from runs that are only 1 minute to 3 minutes. Do that all day with a manual chuck!! WHEW! BUT if you often run different sizes of stock, the hydraulic can be a little of a pain. For instance, we run a lot of 1.5 and 1.250" stock. When we make that change, we are forced to move each jaw on the chuck individually. It isn't that big of deal once you get used to it but needless as there ARE hydraulic chucks with longer open / close throws. So study some before purchasing. With a little thinking, we have gotten around moving the jaws so often. We organize our runs more closely and as well... found tooth settings that will allow for instance 1.250 and 1.375" stock to be used without moving the jaws. If you are going to run 20 parts a day... just get a manual... if it is production you are after a hydraulic is almost a must.

There are manual lever pulled, motor driven and hydraulicdriven draw tubes. I don't know which yours comes with. Good ones have some adjustment in the draw and expand strokes. I do prefer a hydraulic draw tube. I have had several electrics and each of them had some problems I have had electrics with & without gear boxes and they all had problems at some point. No matter the power source, it just opens and closes the collet in the end.

I hope you get the machine this next week. I'll bet you do. Mine is still doing fine and spitting out really clean, nice parts so far. I am anxious for you to have yours...you have sure had a wait!! Dan.

Edit... if you go manual think about the D1-5 mounting type chuck. Those are safe and reliable in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dan.

Kade suggested the Kalamazoo manual. But I dont know if it was put into the order or not. I forgot to ask. It sounds like for my purposes a manual would be much better.
    I use the 5C for the typical small round stuff. But to have a 6" manual is nice for larger stock.

Once the lathe gets here I guess I will have a better idea. I was just shopping around online for the chuck and didn't really understand.

Right now the lathe is about 100mi away at the freight terminal. So hopefully this week she will be mine. . .

Downloads
    Uploads

100 miles!! Thats good progress Brian.

I don't know anything about the Kalamazoo chucks.... I have never seen or heard of them. It would be difficult to move me away from the Bison Set-True chucks though.

I wasn't anxious at all to get mine.... When I got notice that it was at the terminal in Amarillo...on a Saturday PM late...Sunday, I was standing at their fence...taking a picture of the trailer!!

You'll get it up and going. I admire your patience... a few folks say you could share some of that with me! Ha! Anxious to see the new toy! Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan - so I have the forklift coming today (to practice) and the lathe arriving tomorrow.

Wish me luck. . .

Downloads
    Uploads

I do wish you the best of luck... This is mine coming off.....
    Smithy Automate lathe review and pics-pickitup-jpg

I HATE taking these things off of a truck!!! Mine was poorly packed up to say the least and I had only about 2" on each side of the door. Just take your time...don't let anyone rush you....and the driver will most likely try. Just remember YOU paid to have it shipped so they can take a few minutes to let you study the situation and just take your time. Get under it... back up, let it down as close to the ground as you possibly can and you are 90% home free. Make sure the forks are long enough!! Too long is far better than too short. You can do it!! Dan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan that looks like a really tight fit!

I dont think my lathe is quite as big as yours, so hopefully it will be a bit easier.

I practiced w/ the forklift today, seems pretty straightforward, assuming I dont screw things up!

Downloads
    Uploads

Dan that looks like a really tight fit!

I dont think my lathe is quite as big as yours, so hopefully it will be a bit easier.

I practiced w/ the forklift today, seems pretty straightforward, assuming I dont screw things up!
    You'll be ok. As you noticed during practice, the controls can be super gentle. Thats the key in my way of thinking. I wish I was closer... I'd come & watch! Dan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh. Now you can add Forklift Operator to your resume.

Actually guys that do this for a living develop a lot of skill, but unskilled drivers can pull off a move easy enough with some help, care and practice on the controls. The controls will act a little different when under load. Just expect that and make every move a slow one.
    Good luck with it. I have faith in you.

Lee

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345