Smithy CNC 1240 spindle configuration in Mach3 or arrow key fix in LinuxCNC

Thread: Smithy CNC 1240 spindle configuration in Mach3 or arrow key fix in LinuxCNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smithy CNC 1240 spindle configuration in Mach3 or arrow key fix in LinuxCNC

Are any users willing to share the Mach3 configuration files for a Smithy CNC 1240?

The machine ran beautifully under LinuxCNC with Ubuntu 12.04 but after a fresh installation (which I like doing occasionally) the arrow keys, G code in running programs, and MDI inputs fail to make the table move. The table will home and can be moved using the old EZTROL system and can be moved with Mach3 which tells us that the machine, controller, and the computer (parallel port, etc...) are fine. At the same time, a spindle RPM and a gray stripe on the right side of the screen appeared in LInuxCNC that has never been there before.. The problem is in LinuxCNC. I can't figure out why this is happening and have given up on LinuxCNC even though I want to get LinuxCNC running.

A freshly installed version of windows and a freshly purchased license to Mach was installed with complete success except the measured spindle RPM does not match the RPM stated by Mach3. All of the resources who could solve the problem have tapped out.

Does anyone have suggestions to try or configuration files they are willing to share? I'm baffled by the problem.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy CNC 1240 spindle configuration in Mach3 or arrow key fix in LinuxCNC

Arnbjorn
    I have the original 10 year old 1240 with eztrol. I am not very linux savvy. Can this machine controller be upgraded to the newest linux cnc 2.7.8.
    What are the advantages? Would this linux 2.7.8 be a totally separate program on ubuntu. I would like to still have the linux enc2 so I could still do work without jumping all in.
    I would also like to have a separate linux pc set up ready to go as a backup, completely configured, so If the controller in my shop blows, I'm back up and running within a day.
    I love the machine and depend on it for a living so I don't want to mess it up.
    Thanks for any reply
    jc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy CNC 1240 spindle configuration in Mach3 or arrow key fix in LinuxCNC

I have a machine..which is basically the Smithy 1240 but I bought it as a base machine with no electronics from the Chinese manufacturer as I wanted to make up my own electrical/electronics.
    I ended up putting in a PMDX126 BOB and a PMDX107 for the VFD...I had it all working on Mach3 no issue and now have it all running on Linuxcnc 2.7.8...works a treat...far better than Mach3 ever was and its just through a parallel port. I have a Mesa 5I25 and a 7I76 which I am just sorting now to be used with Linuxcnc first then doing a conversion to the Pathpilot GUI is the plan. My machine works a treat very happy with it. I can send you the Mach files and linuxcnc files if you want but I do have a different BOB but its only a parallel port so should be easy to reconfigure the pins if you need to

Mark