Smithy AutoMate

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smithy AutoMate

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smithy AutoMate

I was looking at Smithys Automate CNC machines, kind of mini VMCs.

Anyone familiar with these?

I saw that Bolton sells what looks like a very similar machine, but I can't seem to find much on either of them.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy AutoMate

I am also interested in this and their CNC lathe.

I am interested in the Smithy lathes with the Siemens 808 controller too, About the same$ as the tormach SBL but much larger spindle hole (The big bore anyhow) and between centers. ALso seems to be true servo wheras Tormach is still pushing steppers....... Hummmm

Anyone seen one or have any insight... ?

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

If I read the specs right, it looks like those AutoMate lathes need 3-phase power.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been thinking about the AutoMate lathe as well. Debating on maybe one of these or, a Tormach or just converting my manual 14x40. I'm curious as to if anybody actually has one of these? I called and they said it can be run on a rotary phase converter. I have a trip up to MI Friday and their warehouse is on the way to where I am going so I am going to stop by and check one of their demo units out in the showroom.

slammedxonair , did you make it to the showroom? Or have any further thoughts along these lines ?

I have had thoughts of a conversion too....but am leaning toward somthing already put together and hopefully debugged Haha

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I did stop up. The machine seemed pretty decent they turned some parts for me there. I downloaded a demo version of the controller to mess with in my spare time because I have some saving to do anyways. I did download the KipwareT conversational demo and messed with it for a couple days it seems pretty easy for me to learn so as long as I can run the basics of the controller and get a post for it then I think I should be able to do all my designing in the KipwareT for a while.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slammedxonair View Post
    Yes I did stop up. The machine seemed pretty decent they turned some parts for me there. I downloaded a demo version of the controller to mess with in my spare time because I have some saving to do anyways. I did download the KipwareT conversational demo and messed with it for a couple days it seems pretty easy for me to learn so as long as I can run the basics of the controller and get a post for it then I think I should be able to do all my designing in the KipwareT for a while.
    Did you pull the trigger on their lathe?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not yet, still trying to find a new shop location I'm completely out of room.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slammedxonair View Post
    Not yet, still trying to find a new shop location I'm completely out of room.
    I feel your pain... I am in the same situation space wise. How did your comparison between this and other lathes like the Tormach SL15 go? I was seriously considering the Tormach and then I came across the Automate ones. I can't seem to find out much about the Automate on the web... either they are very new or there are not a lot of them out there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea I may actually end up custom ordering one of the bigger machines they can have built. They are not on their web site but they have bigger machines available for custom ordering. I'm just playing the waiting game to pull the trigger once I have a new shop situated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually I just looked at their site and they are listing more of the bigger machines now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I ordered an AM 1417 last night, after a lot of comparing that to the Tormach I thought it would be a lot better machine for the money. After you add on every single piece for the tormach I was within a grand of that one. I should have it next week. I will be doing a video of the unboxing and startup along with reasons why I chose it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sin_arms, I am looking forward to your video and first impressions of this lathe.... From the specifications it looks like a really nice powerful machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, it would be cool to see these machines become a little more popular with some community forum support especially since its the same controller on various machines. Did you finance your or just buy it outright? I'm looking at the various options myself but have been talking with Kade about something along the lines of the SL6 with maybe 1 live tool or some kind of pneumatically driven live tool for simple stuff off a gang. I just have to secure a new shop location before I can pull the trigger. They actually had the prototype SL6 when I went up there in the back that he showed me they had just got it in for testing that's why I kind of dropped the interest in the 14x40 so fast even know I watched the 14x40 run.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like I will have my lathe tomorrow based on the shippers site. I'm looking forward to not having 2 days of assembly on the thing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome keep is posted with pics/ video once you get things operational. I really think this brand of machines is going to take off.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The very best of luck with it...... remember take lots of video and pictures.... us info junkies want to see everything from the color of the delivery truck to your first cuts...lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So any updates?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smithy AutoMate-uploadfromtaptalk1456772464576-jpg

First cut with the lathe. Still waiting on some tooling to show up and working on the post processor but this thing is literally ready to go once you hook up power and air.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast