Smithy AutoMate - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smithy AutoMate

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMiller View Post
    I agree with all the comments here about not trying to obtain a machine direct....... any manufacturer with integrity and worth dealing with will not sell a machine to a one off customer in a region that is supported by one of their distributors..... additionally, the logistics of getting a machine from China to your door will also be a nightmare... believe me, as part of my day job we ship product from China and Taiwan to the rest of the world every day and if you don't know the procedures intimately, you are in for a rough time. If these machines are well built buy the manufacturers and well supported by Detroit Tool, then it makes sense to buy directly from them. Like everyone else on this thread, I am anxiously awaiting feedback and videos from sin_arms on his experiences in dealing with the distributer, the machine build quality and its performance in the shop.
    The thought was nice while it lasted. I don't quite think I would have the balls to try something that ambitious anyway.

I am too looking forward to hearing some feedback as well as seeing some videos of the machine at work. In my talks with Smithy, they do seem to be really friendly, they will make test parts for you and show you videos. Their website is in the works to be updated and they will post walk arounds of their machines soon.

I'm looking to purchase both a lathe and a mill from Smithy within the next 3-6 months and will definitely be posting feedback. In the meantime I have some test parts being cut on the mill and lathe (that I designed) and will post in these forums once I get the links.

Looking to hear about your experiences sin_arms.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy AutoMate

I've had a little time with this machine, figuring out how to use a cnc lathe was the most time consuming. So far I love this machine, fast accurate, easy to use. I have some video of it cutting, I need to edit it and upload it, a project for later this week depending on getting customers stuff out of the way.

So far I have only modded one thing and that was to put shut of valves on the coolant lines, I wanted to be able to shut off the turret coolant for filming and certain work.

The 5c collet isn't the easiest thing to swamp, you need to take out 5(?) bolts and hold the belt to turn it out. Big problem for me? No, I don't expect to use it that much and when I do it will be a run of parts. From what I have seen most industrial lathes aren't the easiest either.

I will get more pics and videos up as soon as I can, also I will write tutorials on how to do stuff as I learn how.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

forgot to add, Smithy and Autodesk are working on a specific post processor for their lathes and fusion 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting- I hadn't looked at their website for quite some time and see that they are now called Detroit Tools. I wonder if the company changed hands, as the focus now seems to be competing with Tormach in the larger stuff- not so much those 3 in 1's anymore. Also that copy of the Shopsmith wood working lathe is gone as well as that small bulldozer. I recall they tried a CNC lathe design with a homegrown software that wasn't well received.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is kind of strange... I was wondering if Smithy merged with "Detroit machine Tools". Was Detroit Tools a pre-existing company, or is Smithy re-branding themselves as they move up from the homeshop hobbyist line to a semi-professional line?

Their website is labelled with both names. Google maps still identifies their HQ as Smithy.

Looking at their website, they definitely need to improve their machine manuals. Minimal amount of info... my $4k manual lathe has a significantly better and more informative manual than their $25k cnc lathe.

Also, Smithy really needs to cleanup their website, ow they are going to have unhappy customers. If you look at the machines (like the SL280) they frequently show more then one casting picture... of different machines. SO I buy a machine expecting a massive casting, but I get something else. Which is it? Here is an example (the SL280), with two remarkable different pictures of what is supposedly the same machine. I see the same thing on their advertisements on eBay.

AutoMateCNC SL280 | smithy.com
    The killer thing is that either casting looks great... so why show both, if only one of them is the machine you are selling? And looking at the machine, and where the machine leveling feet goes... the answer is... NEITHER?!??!

Also their Ebay product lines seem to be different... they are selling the website' SL-280 as the "Talon GS 1110" on eBay (with the same different casting pictures)... same price....same specs....different name?. Which is it?

Last edited by tmarks11; 03-07-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tmarks, I noticed the same thing on their site. I thought for awhile it was me...but as I kept looking I decided exactly what you did. They may have someone building the site that simply doesn't know anything about the machines. I wish they would get it straightened out. I am thinking of just going up there at this point.... then I think to heck with it, just buy a Haas and get things going! I have a Haas Mini Mill... I just wanted to avoid another $60K if I can. I started looking at Tormach, just couldn't make myself pull the trigger on that slant bed... I tried but just couldn't. Then Sin-Arms bought this one and I really like the looks of it... but we get much MUCH better / reliable info from him than SmithyTroit ... It simply should not be this difficult to spend money! Ha!

I have a G0709 too... I like the thing. Working / Threading fool!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Their website does suck and they need to get someone in there that knows what pictures go to what machine, what specs go with what machine, etc. I'd suggest if you are interested in a machine call up and talk to Kade, very good to talk to and seems to know his stuff. They are writing new manuals because the Chinese English ones aren't the best.

I just threaded 4 rifles tonight for suppressors and I didn't do anything but dial the barrels in and set the z. Hit start and perfect threads over and over.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Devin- all I want to say is thanks a bunch. Here I was perfectly happy with saving up $16k for a Tormach lathe, now I have to save up $20-25k.

Here is hoping somebody on this forum buys a SL280 or SL6. I would like to see some in-depth user reviews. Maybe I will have to spend some of my frequent flier miles to fly out to Michigan to take a look.

Tim

Tmarks, and all,

We would love to have you come out, or send me a message and I will give you a call.

I will be the first to admit, that website is lacking. We are building a brand new site offline, and as such, the main site is neglected a bit. This should all be straightened out within the next month or so. Stay tuned to machine walkarounds, machining videos, customer spotlights, etc...

I read on this post somewhere that the SL280 and SL6 do not have through holes in the spindle. This is true only if you purchase a machine with a solid hydraulic actuator or pneumatic cylinder. Most of the machines have a through bore, although more expensive, most people see the benefit.

As far as ebay and our website having different names, this is true for now. The talon/raptor names are the direction we are heading as must of our customers find it easier to identify with.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thanks

Last edited by kadesmithy; 03-17-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice to see manufacturer presence on the forum. I would urge you to keep it up! It is helpful to customers and potential customers.

Looking forward to seeing an updated website. Your product line is starting to look impressive.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

GREAT! It is sure nice to have someone from the factory reading and responding to this forum. THANK YOU!!! Website... I feel for ya. I have 3 and there is never a day something doesn't need to be done on them. You'll get there. Thanks again for posting here on the forum. It means alot to those of us thinking about a machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kadesmithy View Post
    Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Thanks
    Perhaps you can resolve my curiosity.

Is "Detroit Machine Tools" name something you are moving to in marketing professional level cnc machines? Sort of a two level scheme (smithy=manual home workshop, Detroit=professional machinery)? Or did you merge with an existing company with that name?

Tim

Tmarks11,

Sorry for the late response.

Your assumption is correct. Smithy and AutoMate will be under the Detroit Machine Tool bubble. Smithy is synonymous with the 3 in 1 machines, and it doesn't give our AutoMate line the credibility it deserves. We are using top notch components (Siemens servos and drives, Bosch-Rexroth guides, Schneider electrical, etc...)in our CNC machines and they need to be branded as such, under a new name.

I hope this makes sense. Have a great day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Prefect sense.

I wish you guys great success. There has not been a lot of choices in the "hobbyist plus" or "semi-professional" market (defined by me as the $15k-25k category). It used to be either cheap converted manual lathes or used cnc equipment (at least until Tormach introduced their lathe last year). Nice to see you plugging that hole with what looks on paper to be some full-featured machines, with some decent spec's.

Could you talk briefly about the difference between 808D basic and advanced? I read the brochure on your website, where it had tables showing the difference, but the only thing I gleaned from that is advanced handles 5 axis (vs 4) and can handle feed of 4000 rpm (vs 2000 rpm... not sure how this relates), and has "additional software features".

Do you have all the machines on your website on your showroom floor?

Tim

Good question Tmarks11,

Siemens literature can be a bit confusing for a user friendly control. There are a few differences in the 808D basic and Advanced.

The 808D advanced control has the ability to run a 4th axis. The way the literature reads is that they both should be able to control 4 axis (basic) or 5 axis(Advanced), but one of those is reserved for the spindle. So if you need a 4th axis, you need the ADVANCED control.

We spec the ADVANCED controls with absolute encoders on the axis motors and Siemens v70 drives. By using absolute encoders we eliminate all the limit switches and associated wiring. The advanced control with the combination of motors/drives is able to obtain a higher feed and rapid rate than the standard control.

The ADVANCED control also has a few features dedicated to mold making. They are cycles that do a lot of work behind the scenes fine tuning between speed and surface finish on complex shapes (molds).

You also have the ability to network the ADVANCED control for file distribution.

Those are the main ones.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kadesmithy View Post
    So if you need a 4th axis, you need the ADVANCED control.
    So conceivably, with 808D advanced, you could add hardware to give you live tooling capability?

Do you have all the machines on your website on your showroom floor?

Tim

Yes you can add live tooling. Live tooling options include not just the live tooling spindle/motor, but a spindle brake/caliper setup that locks spindle for milling/drilling etc...

Yes we have all machines on the floor.

Thankse

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sin_arms,
    Did you get a chance to capture any videos yet? I am very anxious to see your impressions of the AM 1417 CNC lathe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have not had a chance to capture any video yet, unfortunately customers want their stuff done and that doesn't allow time to record. I'm hoping this next week I will be able to get some. So far I love this thing, I am getting really use to it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast