Smithy AutoMate - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smithy AutoMate

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy AutoMate

Nice post up more pics of the machine when you have a chance. What is the air used for? Pneumatic collet chuck?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Air is used for the pneumatic chuck and it has sensors that won't let you do anything without air, also you can't start a program without the closer being in the closed position, it's a nice feature.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it a pneumatic 3 jaw? Just looking at that pic.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

pneumatic 5c, I have the 3 jaw in there right now, also bought a 3 jaw scroll chuck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh ok, yea I'm wanting something like this Air Powered, Front Mount, B60, Dead Length Collet Chucks once I can order the SL6 with upgraded spindle bore so I can use a bar puller and pull a 2" bar/tube.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I been looking at the Smithy Mills and lathes myself, and think I'm going to purchase their VMC 1032 mill, but still not quite too sure on which lathe to purchase. After looking at the lathe specifications, is there any reason why you choose the AM-1417 over the Talon 1440? The way I see it the Talon has a longer travel, looks like a better quality machine (ascetically), weighs a bit more (rigidity), has a larger spindle bore, and costs a bit less even when you add the turret. The only thing you seem to have to sacrifice a bit is the rapid speeds are a bit slower on the Talon 1440.

I haven't asked Kade yet but it looks like the Talon 1440 also has a spindle lock on it and servo motor for a C axis live tooling.

The other lathe I am looking at and considering is the Automate STH6. The travels on this one may be a bit smaller but the slant bed design has quite a few advantages.

Looking forward to hearing your reasoning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It was kind of a toss up between the 2 actually, I really wanted a turret and I wanted something that was as comparable to the Tormach as possible to compare "apples to apples" from what I gathered the 1440 just has an automatic tool post where as the 1417 has a turret, I could be wrong but that's what I seem to remember.

I am very interested in selling my Tormach 1100 and replacing it with their VMC, that might be a little down the road. And depending on how business goes I could see adding a second lathe and that would probably be the SL6 with live tooling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    It was kind of a toss up between the 2 actually, I really wanted a turret and I wanted something that was as comparable to the Tormach as possible to compare "apples to apples" from what I gathered the 1440 just has an automatic tool post where as the 1417 has a turret, I could be wrong but that's what I seem to remember.

I am very interested in selling my Tormach 1100 and replacing it with their VMC, that might be a little down the road. And depending on how business goes I could see adding a second lathe and that would probably be the SL6 with live tooling.
    I guess that makes sense. I think you can get the 1440 with a turret, but either way they all seem to be good lathes.

I'm really into the buy once be happy, instead of buying twice and spending twice, so am really trying to narrow down which machines I wish to purchase. I'll just consider these purchases lifetime investments, weather or not I go from hobby to production or not I'll always have machines within my needs.

For my mill purchase, I was considering the Tormach, then the Novakon, the Smithy, now a Sharp VMC constantly graduating in capabilities as well as cost. Even still I'm not totally sure on which machine I want to purchase. The jump from the Smithy VMC to the Sharp VMC is $25,000, by far that is no small beans.

When it comes to the lathes, I like the 1440 because of the travels mainly. The STH6 I like better than the SL6 because of the tailstock. What I don't like about the STH6 or the SL6 is that neither of them have a spindle which a bar can go completely through. Both of them are capped at the ends (for hydraulic chucks I believe), so doing something like a long production run will only allow you to run a few parts at a time rather than a full bar length (6ft or so).

Either way, I'm happy for your purchase, after speaking to Smithy I'm really impressed by them. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your 1417.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That was my thought process on picking this machine, I like my tormach but the build quality isn't there like it is with the Smithy. When my PCNC 1100 arrived I had to assemble it, find loose wires and tighten them and then I had a bad control board and had to wait for a replacement. With the Smithy lathe I hooked up power/air, added coolant and tools and it was ready to go. This has a 3 phase motor, Siemens control and electronics (even the breakers are Siemens). It's not really fair to compare the Tormach to this machine but when it is the same price point you have too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That was my thought process on picking this machine, I like my tormach but the build quality isn't there like it is with the Smithy. When my PCNC 1100 arrived I had to assemble it, find loose wires and tighten them and then I had a bad control board and had to wait for a replacement. With the Smithy lathe I hooked up power/air, added coolant and tools and it was ready to go. This has a 3 phase motor, Siemens control and electronics (even the breakers are Siemens). It's not really fair to compare the Tormach to this machine but when it is the same price point you have too.
    With the machine and company being so good, it's surprising that they are kind of like a grey area company with not much CNC customers. At the price points if customers found out about these machines I'm certain Tormach will be in trouble as these mill and lathes have a lot more to offer. The fact that they have Industrial controls and components make it easy for customers to go from hobby to production.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BuckingFastards View Post
    With the machine and company being so good, it's surprising that they are kind of like a grey area company with not much CNC customers.
    Mostly I think it is because Smithy has just expanded their product line, and they don't have a lot of customers singing their praises yet.

Up until now, their ventures into cnc have been in fits and spurts. They started with conversions for their ALL-IN-1s (which is mostly what they were known for), then the Sig KX1 and KX3 mills and the SC6 lathe, than just the KX3, then nothing, then shifted for the last few years to a cnc product line consisted of the 1240 mill (which was the exact same machine as the Novakon Pro), and a manual lathe that was converted to cnc, IIRC.

Their new offerings look good, and their embracing Siemens controls is great, and it is encouraging that they are stocking machines in US warehouses (based upon sin arms getting his machine almost overnight), instead of just being a call center for the slow boat from China. Looking forward to seeing more reviews of these machines.

Last edited by tmarks11; 03-02-2016 at 11:50 PM.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If its of interest, here is the URL for the Chinese manufacturer who I believe manufacturers the lathes for Smithy/Detroit Tool. The exact specifications can change considerably between their standard models and the version that they sell to their US distributer but generally they are somewhat similar..... Look at the "Star SL" and "Star STH" series of lathes to find the equivalents of the Automate versions.

http://www.zhenjicnc.com/web/eindex.asp

- - - Updated - - -

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMiller View Post
    If its of interest, here is the URL for the Chinese manufacturer who I believe manufacturers the lathes for Smithy/Detroit Tool. The exact specifications can change considerably between their standard models and the version that they sell to their US distributer but generally they are somewhat similar..... Look at the "Star SL" and "Star STH" series of lathes to find the equivalents of the Automate versions.

http://www.zhenjicnc.com/web/eindex.asp

- - - Updated - - -
    I have thought about emailing the Chinese company and seeing if they are interested in selling a machine to a user and not just distributors. Acquiring any one of these machines straight from China would probably be a lot less than getting one from Smithy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sure it would be quite a bit less direct and if you have time to line up trucks, wait for it to clear import and pay the duties and everything on top of what you purchased it for. I like having a support company that I can call and ask questions to and get help when needed. Right now they are working out all the bugs with the fusion 360 post processor so it will be ready for when anyone else gets one. I'm sure I could figure it out but it's nice having them go through and get it all straightened out for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sin_arms,
    I asked this question in the tormach forum but I am guessing you didn't see it. Can you tell us a little about the 3 phase converter?? Is it internal or external... and is it a digital converter?? I was looking at the Tormach for a good while....just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger....but this machine you purchased sure seems nice for the money. I appreciate your help. THANKS!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I missed it, it is an external american rotary. I don't know the exact model because I already had a phase converter and had them take it off the quote. It will come with a 10hp american rotary phase converter so you will have plenty of power on tap for the 4hp motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have thought about emailing the Chinese company and seeing if they are interested in selling a machine to a user and not just distributors. Acquiring any one of these machines straight from China would probably be a lot less than getting one from Smithy.
    That can be a dangerous gamble. You might end up with them shipping you a machine that somebody's on-scene Quality Control representatives refused. Lots of luck with a warranty return where you have to ship it back to China for repairs.

And if you don't speak Chinese or have a friend who does, it can be a frustrating endeavor. "The suitor of the emperor's daughter has no clothes". That is a direct quote of what Sieg Industries customer representative emailed to the lead roof a consortium trying to buy two container loads of equipment back in 2006 timeframe (before Sieg SX3 mills were available in the states). Not two machines. Two container full.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I missed it, it is an external american rotary. I don't know the exact model because I already had a phase converter and had them take it off the quote. It will come with a 10hp american rotary phase converter so you will have plenty of power on tap for the 4hp motor.
    Thanks! I was in hopes it was a digital but I may still give this machine a try. Are you still liking the unit?? Thanks Again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh my goodness! Do yourself a favor and abandon that thought. I know a guy that did exactly that. Not a Smithy but he decided to purchase direct from China, a 14 X 40 CNC Lathe. $8500 plus shipping. Great deal!!!! When it arrived, it was only half there... no controller, one drive motor, no tail stock, no chuck, no tooling as promised.... and NO drive motor for the spindle. Basically, he got the bed, gear box and saddle. The last I talked to him, he had hauled the ..."machine" if you could call it that to the scrap yard after additionally finding that two gears in the gear box were missing. He had not a leg to stand on! STUCK! SCREWED! SOMETIMES.... we can chase a dollar just too danged far!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with all the comments here about not trying to obtain a machine direct....... any manufacturer with integrity and worth dealing with will not sell a machine to a one off customer in a region that is supported by one of their distributors..... additionally, the logistics of getting a machine from China to your door will also be a nightmare... believe me, as part of my day job we ship product from China and Taiwan to the rest of the world every day and if you don't know the procedures intimately, you are in for a rough time. If these machines are well built buy the manufacturers and well supported by Detroit Tool, then it makes sense to buy directly from them. Like everyone else on this thread, I am anxiously awaiting feedback and videos from sin_arms on his experiences in dealing with the distributer, the machine build quality and its performance in the shop.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast