Deciding between PM30-MVL or Smithy 1240 CNC

Thread: Deciding between PM30-MVL or Smithy 1240 CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Deciding between PM30-MVL or Smithy 1240 CNC

I've been happily converting my PM30-MVL when a friend told me his friend is selling his Smithy 1240 CNC. It's similar to the larger Novakon (they are essentially clones of each other). I checked it out and it's in good shape, has a bit of tooling, and a shars CNC vise. With the stand, the drip tray thing, computer, etc, it retails for around $13k plus maybe $1k in tooling. He's asking $6k, and I'd have to figure out how to transport it.

I do this as just a hobby, I don't really plan on using a machine for production or anything like that, just tinkering around in the garage. I cut mostly aluminum, but that's partly because I have an X2, so I never really did anything other than aluminum because it couldn't handle it. With the PM30, I have my ballscrews, electronics, etc. The only thing I have left to do is make the motor mounts and attach the ballscrews. I'm pretty close.

My question is whether a PM30 can even remotely compare to the Smithy. I know the Smithy isn't exactly the favorite (Tormach is the golden-child), but is it THAT much more capable than a well-converted PM30? I know it's a lot heavier and more rigid. The work envelope is actually pretty similar, the only real difference being the Y travel. I don't really 'need' to machine faster, anything is going to be a ton faster than my little X2. Is it worth spending the money on the Smithy and just selling my PM30 once I get it converted? Is $6k a good deal? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I won't be kicking myself later if I turn it down.

Similar Threads:
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertCowanDIY

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Deciding between PM30-MVL or Smithy 1240 CNC

I have a Novakon Torus Pro, which is very similar to the Smithy. Before long, I expect to add a second one. Personally, I think this machine is in a whole different class from any benchtop machine, or any converted manual machine. It is more massive, with beefier castings, as it was designed from the start as a CNC machine. Not sure about the Smithy but the Torus Pro comes with very good quality zero backlash ground ballscrews, which are FAR superior to the rolled screws commonly used on conversions. The result is a machine that can be pushed very hard when needed, but that also consistently turns out precise parts. I rarely, if ever, find any parts that are off in any dimension more than +/-0.001", and those are generally in places where I simply didn't take the time to do proper finishing passes. When I do production runs of my products (I manufacture PDBs and ATCs that are sold by Novakon), every part comes out exactly like every other, day after day.

In short, if you can get the Smithy for $6K, assuming it's in good condition, you should jump at it.

If you don't need such a large machine, take a look at the Novakon Pulsar. I have one of those as well. It is also an excellent machine, and will do almost any cut the Torus Pro or Smithy will do, the primary difference being just shorter travels, and smaller overall size. In terms of quality, it is one of the nicest machines out there right now.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ray, that's good information. I'd really like to think that a converted PM30 would be similar, but it really does seem like it's a completely different machine, in much the same way my X2 clone is a VERY different machine than the PM30.

When it comes down to it, I guess I'm just a bit worried about the space (I don't have a big shop) and the hassle of transporting it. It's good to hear that the Novakon/Smithy machines are well made though. They really do look a bit beefier than the Tormachs. I do like the idea of the Pulsar, but it starts at $10k, and the Smithy is $6k, so it kinda makes sense to just get the bigger mill :-)

I won't be using it for production, so a lot of the differences matter less, but having an nice machine is always preferable to a finicky one.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Smithy 1240 CNC sounds like a smoking deal for $6000. Jump on it.

Perhaps a plus is that the Talon CNC control software is based on EMC2 instead of Mach 3.

We're definitely going to need pics....

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, actually EMC2 was a bit of a downside for me, since I'm not familiar with it. I also have a pendant for mach3 and such... But, from what I've read, it seems that EMC2 is a better software.

I'm still working on the logistics of getting it here. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the details of how to transport 1600 pounds.