Need Help! Smithy support?

Thread: Smithy support?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smithy support?

Hi Guy's

I have been an occasional browser of these forums for a few years and have come to a point where I am ready to purchase a CNC mill for a small startup and have come down to the Smithy 1240 CNC due to the work envelope and overall specs of the machine, my main concern is how is the support from Smithy? I can deal with the control being Linux EMC2 based it is a very strong system when setup right. would like to hear from any of you that have this machine and what you think overall.

Donnie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

So does no one on here run the 1240 cnc from Smithy? Did I ask the wrong question? I am getting ready to buy a machine and like what I see in the Smithy but at this point it looks like the Tormach is going to win out on dealer support and community support.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The support from Smithy has been good for me. I got a 1240 back in late 2007/ early 2008 and I am fairly certain that it is one of the first machines sold. Other than some design issues with ball screws on the early machines where they were rigidly coupled to the stepper (this issue has been fixed) It has been a very good machine for me and support was there when this issue happened. The community not as large or active as the the Tormach but there are some of us around.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply, I totally agree that there is not much of a community as you are the only one to reply. The thing that worries me is that I had them placed ahead of the Tormach machine due to HP and work envelope and was pretty much ready to buy but over a week ago I talked with one of the sales people who said he would get me a firm quote on the machine with the options I wanted and I have not received any thing from him thus far, also had questions about realistic speeds and feeds on some materials I will be cutting and he said he would have the person with that knowlege call and answer my questions and have not heard from him either! Not looking too good for Smithy at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you look at the numbers to the left of the post, you can pretty much tell which companies have the most active members. Tormach is way out front and on these forums is where you are going to find support from other owners. I looked at the Smithy website and their machine looks like a Tormach clone but about 50% more expensive and with a control system that has gotten some really bad reviews.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I did know about the count, and knew that Tormach was the leader as far as forum activity, as far as the machine I was really interested because it is bigger, heavier, more spindle HP, and larger XY envelope that the Tormach machine. The control did not concern me to much because I am familiar with Linux OS and LinuxCNC, the bad reviews were more than likely from those that did not understand the OS. EMC2 with Linux OS has way more potential for customization than MACH3 if you understand how to use it. Mach is a great control don't get me wrong, and most people know windows so it is easier for most. I have also found out that the 1240CNC is going to be replaced with a larger machine with tool changer and running a siemens control so support for the older model may be non-existent in the near future.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also for what its worth the Novakon Torus Pro appears to be the same piece of iron as the early 1240 Smithys I have not seen one in person to say for certain but from the pictures Ive seen they look to be the same plus the Novakon has more user support plus a power draw bar option.