Need Help! DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine

Thread: DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine

I have a 3 in 1 Mill/Drill/Lathe that I would like to add some sort of DRO to. Since I have practically no money, I am looking at the Grizzly
    H8176 Cutting Depth Digital Readout for G0516
    at $159.95 +SH

This is similar to one that Little Machine sells but appears to have solved the interference between the displays that keeps the compound from turning around.

Does anyone have any experience with this display and or the installation on the Enco, a Harbor Freight or the Smithy 3 in 1 machines?

My machine (see photo):
    Model #328-1308
    Enco 3-in-1 Machine;
    Swing Over Bed: 16-1/2";
    Distance Between Centers: 15-3/4";
    Cross Slide Travel: 4-3/4";
    Spindle Bore Diameter: 3/4";
    Spindle Nose Designation: 3MT
    Low Price: $1,797.98 ea

As far as I can tell the overall dimensions of the cross and compound are similar and I do have a milling machine to modify the mounts if it is possible actually install this on my machine.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine-4529609-11-jpg   DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine-h8176-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Re: DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine

Really? Over 15 months, with 1300 views and no replies?

Okay fine, how about I give an update & tell you all what I determined & decided.

First this Enco machine is very close to the Smithy, for all I know they bought one & copied it.

The biggest issue I was able to determine is that this type of dro has no backlash compensation, correction, or positional accuracy.
    The only thing it can tell you is how far you move in one direction as long as you didn't move back.

I recently purchased an igaging brand AccurateDRO digital readout unit from Grizzly to install on this machine.
    DRO Digital readout for 3 in 1 machine-absolutedro-jpg
    T26540 Absolute Digital Read Out 12"
    Grizzly.com

I got the 12" for the cross slide even though the actual travel is about 4" because I plan to make quick mounts to move them between this 3in1 & my larger Z45 mill. I will be posting a complete how to once I get that done. This also allowed me to mount the reader head bracket to the cross slide between the T-slots.

With spacers & a cover I lose about 1.5" in total carriage travel. I think I can allow the tail stock to overhang the end of the bed a bit to recover some of this, of course then I will need a longer reach live center. It never ends.

These units are moderate cost at $50 for the 6", $75 for 12", $110 for 24", $125 for 32" & $130 for 36"
    They can be cut shorter as required.
    The three I need for this machine (which will also work for the mill) are a 6, 12, & 24" at a total cost $234.85 +S&H. A little more than half the cost of a low price DRO and less than twice the cost of the cutting depth units I was originally considering.

This unit allows you to set the origin (zero) and will retain the setting. While not as accurate as a proper DRO, I should be able to get quite close before needing to use a micrometer & as long as I pay attention maybe even not over cut.

My thinking is for the cross slide, if I chuck up a short 1" diameter section of drill rod, touch the tool to it and zero the readout, move away from the end, then advance 1/2" and set the origin; the readout will give me a usable radius reading. For the carriage, I can touch to the end of bar & zero, then as the tool advances towards the head I will know the length the reduced diameter.

Mounting the scale to the tail stock will require a clamping bracket that clamps around the end of the quill. There is only about 1/4" exposed when fully retracted. This bracket will need to extend to the rear ~3" to clear the quill lock handle with an offset bracket that extends rearward from the back side of the tail stock. This assembly will need to hold the scale bar far enough away from the quill hand wheel to provide clearance for my hand.

I will attempt to fabricate a mount to use the 6" unit on the compound as well.

The X & Y scales will be mounted on a mounting bar with an alignment hole to pin at one end and have a thumb screw/knob at the other. Another thumb screw/knob will attach the reader head brackets. Hooks will manage the cables and the display heads have magnets in the back which allow them to "stick" to a plate mounted to an arm on each machine.

27 8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back describing each one... ; to follow.
    (^^^^ obscure music reference : extra points for correct identification - - google'ing is cheating)