Tell us abut your smithy... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell us abut your smithy...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question on Smithy 1240 CNC

Does the Smithy 1240 CNC do manual or is it just CNC? And any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would think a quick call to Smithy would get you an answer. My plan is to build the cnc to run tandem with the manual controls. I have plenty of motors and drivers are really inexpensive now. Have the pc to run it but want to put it in a cabinet to keep it free of oil and metal contamination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by djdjo1 View Post
    I recently purched 1200LTD, when I started to use the machine I found that it would go into neutral. I placed a call to smithy web site, they told me that I would have fix this problem myself, it is in the manual. I told these people it is brand new, they told me I could ship back to them for another 300.00. So took this new machine and pulled it apart, and cutoff the cluch sleve, so after about 2 hours, this machine is working. After this mess I would not recomend this company or there tools.
    I just browsed through their website for the first time in a while and notice they have dropped some products- they used to sell a Chinese made bulldozer, not surprised that didn't last long. Also no longer selling the Shopsmith copy- wonder if that was some issue over the patents of the original american made machine. Other than that they still sell the same 3 in 1 they sold when they were in Oregon, but have now added a Tormach copy mill to the line.

Downloads
    Uploads

To my eyes, the Smithy CNC mill looks a lot more like the Novakon than the Tormach mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My smithy cnc lathe is garbage.

I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have had a Midas 1220 for about 4 1/2 years now. After a year or or so I came across a bed from another brand and pulled mine. Had to make a few mods to the new bed but the longer length is great. Had a few problems when I uncrated it but Smithy support took care of the problem and I had the new part in a couple of days. I use it to make parts that I can't get or hobby kinds of things. All in all, good machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had an old Smithy AT-300 Lathe/Mill/Drill for about 5 years and have pretty much worn it out using it as a gunsmith lathe. I've used it to build just about everything including form 1 suppressor builds, chambering and barreling rifles from .223 up to .300 win mag, and fabricating parts to adapt car engines to marine use. The spindle bore is only 1.1 in and its slowest spindle speed is 150rpm. I've become pretty good at finding ways to get past its limitations, like putting the slim end of a barrel through the 4 jaw and into the spindle bore, indicating the muzzle end of the bore with a range rod on the backside and supporting the chamber end in a steady rest to thread and chamber. The bearings have worn and now have about .001 of play and it will cost more time and money than its worth to rebuild the headstock. I decided to upgrade to a bigger lathe and convert the AT-300 into a light duty mill. Smithy has been good to me over the years with regard to parts and help so im sticking with them.

I just placed an order for an MI-1237L gearhead lathe. Its the newest version of their older bz-239/cz-239 machines. 12 inch swing, 37 inches between centers, d1-4 camlock spindle, 1.5 inch spindle bore, back gear, quick change gearbox for spindle speeds, quick change gearbox for feed/threading, and comes with a 4 jaw, 3 jaw, steady, follow, backplates, driving plate, centers, and a big steel stand!

It left Toledo, OH yesterday en-route to Roswell, NM I'll post lots of pics and a review when it gets here.

MI-1237L: MI-1237L Gear Drive Lathe | smithy.com

I just placed an o

I just purchased a Smithy MI-1237L gearhead lathe direct from Smithy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tell us abut your smithy...

Bringing this thing back from its slumber! The post I mean... I just ordered a 1340 and look forward to making some precision parts. Can't say much other than I ran I to a used smithy 1324 and played with the movement. Seemed tight with no play, that's all I was able to tell from the quick encounter. Having just a garage I needed something with a small foot print and maximum variety of work so I got the 3 in 1. I'll post again when I have it running

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've used a Smithy 3 in 1 at 2 places, for 8 years.
    I learned on one at a roto molding plant, working as a sheet metal mold maker. Luckily it was company owned, and I made most of my mistakes on that one
    1st big mistake was turning and threading large shafts (4" and 6" OD) without changing belts. I just kept it in medium. WRONG!
    Always run the potentiameter above half way, for more than a short time. It will burn up the motor, or drive card. I did both.
    It mills best in the X axis, if you feed to hard in the Y, the rotating column can turn on you. Notice the feed in Y is half of X, so just changing X,Y direction changes feed rate too. Easy to over look, and takes a lot longer to mill something if you don't notice.
    Keep an eye on the tapered pins in the lead screw too
    I quit that job 5 years later, and bought my own. I've ran it every day, turning 1-5/8" parts (lathe only, used the mill twice) for 3 years. I did a lot of milling at the roto mold plant tho.
    The gib screw threads on the compound weren't good, but I limped by using the good one and the lock.
    I added a limit switch with a magnet on back, and a 3/8 rod through a dial indicator magnet on the table to trip it, so I could auto feed a knurler, and it shuts itself off when done, while I run the saw.
    I havent had to replace anything on mine, and it's been my sole living for almost 4 years now.
    Cant beat it for starting out as cheap as possible.
    I now have a cheap cnc shopmaster to go with it(bought with the Smithy).
    So what you can do with them is up to the individual's motivation and imagination
    I happen to love it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Was it the retrofit kit? I thought about getting the kit, but I dont think the mill would be any good, with it having to be locked down, but what about the lathe? Or did you get a cnc lathe from them?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Legion99999 View Post
    My smithy cnc lathe is garbage.
    Was it the retrofit kit? I thought about getting the kit, but I dont think the mill would be any good, with it having to be locked down, but what about the lathe? Or did you get a cnc lathe from them?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If one were to find a Smithy for $300 would you buy it? (intentionally vague...)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by noahnipperus View Post
    If one were to find a Smithy for $300 would you buy it? (intentionally vague...)
    If I were lookin, then heck yeah! It would have to have a lot wrong with it not to be worth that.
    I have a cheap Shopmaster cnc lathe, and they go great together.
    I use the Smithy for threading and tapping, and the CNC as a gang lathe for turning, drilling, and cutting.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JDG3 View Post
    If I were lookin, then heck yeah! It would have to have a lot wrong with it not to be worth that.
    I have a cheap Shopmaster cnc lathe, and they go great together.
    I use the Smithy for threading and tapping, and the CNC as a gang lathe for turning, drilling, and cutting.
    Thanks JDG3! Going to take a look at it tomorrow! Anything in particular I should look out for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I might check the casting under the tailstock. My son's had a bad, crumbly spot, that scratched his bed.
    The gears in the apron, ride on steel shafts, with no way to really get oiled, even tho there is oil holes in front. It will be hard to move the hand wheel back and forth (Z dir.) if they need greased or are going bad, and the cross slide is centered. If the cross slide is all the way out, toward you then z is also harder to move, so thats normal.
    I dont know how much it was used.
    Always have the rpm dial as high as possible, for that belt range.
    At work I was turning 6" shafts down to 4" with a flange around them.
    I kept it in medium, ran 400 rpm, and burnt a motor, and 1 control card, before they told me that.
    I bought mine 3 years ago. Use it every day. Mostly smaller stuff, and aluminum, but the gears and screw gets used daily, and I haven't replaced anything.
    Tolerances are good.
    Every part can be gotten from Smithy if something turns out bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12