Build Thread (Re)Moving Control Panel

Thread: (Re)Moving Control Panel

Downloads
    Uploads

Default (Re)Moving Control Panel

As I pointed out in a previous thread, I don't know quite the reason for the operator panel on the electronics cabinet. Start and estop switches, yes, but you need to reach into the movement envelope to access them. (They could be mounted in a portable dual-button box from Automation Direct.) Lockout switch, I suppose, if you're in an environment where others may be tempted to fiddle with your machine. I personally never ever actuated that switch. But spindle controls (the bulk of the panel)?!? The machine is unusable without the PCNC interface running, and if the interface is running the spindle is fully controllable through said interface. As far as I can see, they are about as useful as tonsils.

Having already cloned the start and estop switches on my external panel when I built the enclosure, I had neglected to finish the job and remove the vestigial panel. Well, no more!

Supplies:
    Some 16-gauge stranded wire (had it in my wire bin).
    A few fast-ons and spade lugs (had them in my terminal bin).
    A small piece of 16-gauge stainless sheet (a freebie from a local AC duct installer).
    Some PEM FH4-632-6 studs, hardened for pressing into SS sheet (samples from Penn Engineering).

There was a little cut-and-shut to do to the wiring, mainly to hard-wire what were formerly the lockout switch, the manual/auto coolant switch and the PC switch (why turn off the PC while the machine is powered up?).

Randy

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Re)Moving Control Panel-panel1-jpg   (Re)Moving Control Panel-panel2-jpg   (Re)Moving Control Panel-panel3-jpg   (Re)Moving Control Panel-panel4-jpg  

Last edited by zephyr9900; 01-19-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exactly, no fancy gismos

An emergency switch might come in handy though, not for the operator but for the person that answers the OSHA questions.

I have to hit the start button at the startup every time, is this just me?

Other than that: I couldn't agree more.

Benji

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I have an estop, Benji. It's mounted between my keyboard and monitor. I haven't defeated any of the Tormach safety features, and would not think of operating such a powerful (compared to flesh and blood) machine without an estop.

When you close the main disconnect switch, there is electricity to the machine (can still shock you since there is live line voltage in the electrical cabinet) but it is not powered up until you hit the Start button to pull in the main contactor.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Re)Moving Control Panel-img_7566-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job. I agree that most of the controls are useless..but hey they look cool anyways