Pics of my enclosure

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of my enclosure

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pics of my enclosure

I made it using 80/20 products. It cost a arm and 3 leggs but I like the end product. Just need to move my E-stop now.

Tim

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that is quite beautiful

Great job there, very professional.

Downloads
    Uploads

very nice ,
    that's clearly a well thought out and absolutely the best setup that anyone has posted on the zone yet

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    very nice ,
    that's clearly a well thought out and absolutely the best setup that anyone has posted on the zone yet
    A Electronic Cabinet in a wet enclosure don't seem such a good Idea to me, and if your not planing on plashing coolant why spend the big bucks on an enclosure.
    But that is just my opinion!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    A Electronic Cabinet in a wet enclosure don't seem such a good Idea to me, and if your not planing on plashing coolant why spend the big bucks on an enclosure.
    But that is just my opinion!
    do you have a better alternative to offer ?

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

do you have a better alternative to offer ?
    LOL, I do. Move the whole panel to the front of the enclosure and seal off the old location. It will cost more but at least it will be in a better location.

What I do not understand is why the E-Stop is in a place where you would have to reach across the work area to stop the machine. To me it should be on the head, but that is just me I guess.

First rule in machine design, Make it as Safe as Possible within a reasonable cost margin!!! Then again, that is just me, LOL

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and it looks great too. Nice work!!

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    LOL, I do. Move the whole panel to the front of the enclosure and seal off the old location. It will cost more but at least it will be in a better location.
    it is an alternative but is it really necessary ? the machines are designed to sit on a bench top , run flood coolant and make chips , so how does someone end up having a problem by building an enclosure to keep chips from bouncing off the 4 walls in the shop ?

Downloads
    Uploads

it is an alternative but is it really necessary ? the machines are designed to sit on a bench top , run flood coolant and make chips , so how does someone end up having a problem by building an enclosure to keep chips from bouncing off the 4 walls in the shop ?
    LOL, I never use the E-Stop. Reset works best, not to mention I use Predator Virtual CNC for proving out Complex Programs mainly 3D Machining on Fixtures, 4th Axis etc.

With this specific configuration I can see chips causing serious problems with the switches/buttons. BTW at 65IPM, I never use coolant, only for Spot, Drill, and Tapping operations. Today's tooling can handle those low feeds and speeds with moderate wear as long as you do a little tweaking. LOL, at 65IPM, that would be spotting or drilling. Milling is usually 250 to 550IPM for the parts I work on and higher is the machine has HSM.

I do like this enclosure, but there is no reason why the Panel can't be moved to the front of the machine away from the work being done. This is my personal opinion of coarse. I only offered a suggestion.

How have you been buddy?? Still got plenty of work??

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work, do you have your material list of the parts you used from 80/20. I have been putting off an encloser like this for some time now. For those that don.t think something like this is a good idea, I submit that you don't use your mill much. When you start using the mill to profile and surface aluminium blocks the chips do fly. My wife gets real tired of vacuuming my trail from the garage to the rest room in the house. I think this encloser is the best I have seen on any forum. It is well thought out. I would like to get your materials list so I can start saving for my own.

Just my 2 cents!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stedgar View Post
    Nice work, do you have your material list of the parts you used from 80/20. I have been putting off an encloser like this for some time now. For those that don.t think something like this is a good idea, I submit that you don't use your mill much. When you start using the mill to profile and surface aluminium blocks the chips do fly. My wife gets real tired of vacuuming my trail from the garage to the rest room in the house. I think this encloser is the best I have seen on any forum. It is well thought out. I would like to get your materials list so I can start saving for my own.

Just my 2 cents!
    Get an Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Carpet for the entry way. Works great!!

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Material

Looks really nice but that had to cost a bunch, I did mine from 1" tube steel and used drawer slides for the acrylic doors, thin aluminum for the rest.
    Also I don't keep my tools in where they will get coolant and chips all over them. I wish I would have put doors on each end for cleaning out the chips.
    Oh yeah your guard is top notch, we use 80/20 stuff at work a lot. Great job.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ight=enclosure

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It did cost a lot but I think it was worth it. For example the front wall with the doors and PolyC panels ran $870. I think the others 3 walls totaled about the same so It was around $1700 total. I did the rear 3 walls and moved the machine into location and then did the front wall. I will get my build sheets organized and then provide them for anyone wanting to do this.

The electronics cabinet is pretty well sealed with a inside and outside lip as well as a gasket between them. I guess time will tell how well that works out.

The E-stop and on switch if not the whole control panel will be moved outside the enclosure soon. In order to move the whole panel I have to source a ribbon cable extension or get a new longer cable.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim, beautiful-looking enclosure! Since I made the external start and estop buttons for my own enclosure, I've never touched the panel on the electronics cabinet. I could safely remove it entirely. (I'm not quite sure why Tormach did it that way--the machine doesn't have handwheels and users get used to using it "manually" through the interface. Why would it be any different for spindle control? The start and estop buttons could be in a little box on a hard-wired cable and normally positioned on the front drip tray, like a couple of guys have retrofitted...)

If you ever use the Tormach vise (or especially a larger vise) be sure to keep the door open while ref'ing the machine the first time to see if there is an interference. I didn't take the front overhang of the vise past the table edge into account when building my own enclosure.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics of my enclosure-ref_with_door_open-jpg  
    Last edited by zephyr9900; 12-20-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very good advice.. My 6" 4th axis is just barely too long the way I have it mounted and it is possible to run it into the door.. luckily this will just pop my door open but it would be nice to find/build a 90 degree gear box for the motor so that wont be a issue. My mentor suggested I get a D675 vise and boy was I not ready for how HUGE that thing is compared to our tables. I think I will be swapping it out for something smaller.

I wonder if it is ok to just unplug the ribbon cable..probably not. That way I could just ditch that whole panel after I move the start/stop buttons.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job Compunerdy. Did you essentially pay list price for all of the components? Maybe buying surplus could save a significant amount.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought it all from a 80/20 reseller and also had almost all of the panels and extrusions cut for me which you could save a bit of money doing that part yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that is gorgeous. Great job!

Best,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever machined anything??
    The whole purpose of having a enclosure is so you can use FLOOD Coolant and chips stay in the machine.
    Why would anyone have their electrical cabinet inside? Beats me!
    I don't know about you but I've been doing machine work for 20+ years and have yet to come across a "VMC style" machine with an electrical cabinet mounted on the inside. (I'm not saying there is no such thing)
    Back in 1986 when I got out of tech school I started working for a company that build Splash water Cabinets in all different sizes but I never seen anything with a Electrical cabinet on the inside. Call it what you want, it but it will never change my mind on the fact that it is a bad Idea.
    To answer the question straight up, yes I do have a better Idea! As pointed out before, move e-stop to the front where it is easily depressed and reroute wires and move cabinet to the back.

PS: That Cabinet looks great!! but the box should be moved.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Food for thought! If you happen to have some kind of Commercial/Industrial Insulator close by one could give them a shout. Most of the time they would be able to bend some sheet metal to do the same thing.
    I once had a box made up slightly smaller than that Cabinet and it only Cost me $350.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast