Problem with Override Limits

Thread: Problem with Override Limits

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem with Override Limits

It appears that I can't click the override limits checkbox to allow me to re-zero my machine if I shut down with it in the wrong position.

Is this a bug in 2.2.5 ??? or is there some secret that I'm missing?

-J

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might need to click on the checkbox a couple of times to select it. Once you have it selected you can move off the limit switch.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried that, it still doesn't work.

I don't have limit switches. Basically the problem is that I exited axis while the machine was not Zerod.

now Axis thinks that Zero is in the middle of my cutbed....

is there any jog tool that I can use that totally ignores the soft limits?

or do I have to use stepconf wizard to move it back to where it's supposed to be? (that's what I ended up doing to fix it the last time).

I know I need limit switches, but I'm lazy

-J

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

From the EMC2 archives,
    "Now limit override is NOT soft limit override. There is no such animal. Limit override means let me move the offending axis off from the real limit switch it has hit. This can happen any time you have real limit switches hooked up properly and you are jogging the machine around before you home it."

I would temporarily comment out the 'soft' limits in the ini file and start up the machine to move back into safe limits, then close down and restore my old ini values.

I would also consider changing my 'soft' limits to + the axis travel, and add hard limits. If you were running servos with encoder feedback, I would also consider (if possible) manually moving the 'bad' axis back into limits. You mentioned "Stepconf," are you using steppers with encoders?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using a hobbycnc board with stepper motors...

I don't believe there's any encoders there... I'm guessing that EMC just assumes that it moved whatever pulses it sent to it.

sometimes what I end up doing is just turning off the machine, seeking way out,
    turning back on the machine, seeking back to "home" and then zeroing it out.

I was just looking for an easier way.

-J