EMC2+mesa 5i20+automatic tool changer

Thread: EMC2+mesa 5i20+automatic tool changer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question EMC2+mesa 5i20+automatic tool changer

Hello!

I have got a turn cnc machine (PITTLER NF) with automatic tool changer i would like to run it with EMC2 and M6 code.

It has got 12 tools.

I need at least 5 output pins and 12 input pins.

Which way will be the easyest to do that. Useing mesa 7i37 anything IO board or makeing sequncial program in classic ladder and call that program with M6 .
    Also i don't know how to write program in classic ladder and than call it with custom M codes ?

Is it possible to write program in PyVCL ( useing IF..THEN..ELSE, GOTO,CASE commands) and call it with M6

What do you suggest me?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default visky

I cannot tell you what you should do as there is not enough information in your question.
    All I can do is tell you what I would do.
    I would do the retrofit and put EMC2 on the machine.
    In that exercise you will learn enough to be able to do it on your own or be able to ask the questions necessary to get help. If you have never done this before there will be many questions before you get to the tool change. There is no doubt EMC2 will do the tool change. Just get started and have fun doing it.
    Join the user-list to ask your questions as the answers will be more complete and much faster.
    Get on #emc on irc.freenode.net and the help can be instantaneous.
    Stuart

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMC2 + Mesa 5i20

Is the 5 outputs and 12 inputs for the tool change alone? Is that enough for the tool changer alone?

Regardless of the approach to handle the control logic, Classic Ladder, pyvcp, or external PLC, you should pencil out the logic and required inputs and outputs and types of signals. This will aid in you in selecting the hardware.

Tool changing routines can easily require a lot of I/O.

You may want to consider a look at the 5i22 which will have a total of 96 I/O vs. the 5i20 with 72 I/O. One 7i33 for your motion control will use up 48 I/O alone. Of course the 5i22 is the latest and greatest and in its infancy will have some growing pains.

You may want to consider an external PLC (not EMC2 Classicladder, e.g. Allen Bradley or Siemens) to handle the toolchanger I/O and logic and just use a few of your Mesa I/O to comunicate start and stop of the task.

At any measure, not a simple task, but go in with your eyes open and try to enjoy the ride.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Visky, would be interested to see how this one turned out. Any post-post info on what you actually did?

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It seems you have one digital i/o for each station position, that will make it easier for a classic ladder new-b to handle.
    If you read the classic ladder documentation, you will be able to get started with the logic. It is easy once you apply yourself.
    My turret has 8 stations, I am using a 5i20 and have lots of spare i/o.
    You should find the tool change request pin and tool change done pin in HAL and connect them to your CL prog, you will then be able to use M6 T# G43 H# to command a tool change.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hello dave3431!

Quote Originally Posted by dave3431 View Post
    It seems you have one digital i/o for each station position, that will make it easier for a classic ladder new-b to handle.
    If you read the classic ladder documentation, you will be able to get started with the logic. It is easy once you apply yourself.
    My turret has 8 stations, I am using a 5i20 and have lots of spare i/o.
    You should find the tool change request pin and tool change done pin in HAL and connect them to your CL prog, you will then be able to use M6 T# G43 H# to command a tool change.
    Can you send me the example of your station with 8 tools?
    I'm working now with the auto tools chaneg for my Sodick MC450 with 20 tools. I use 5i20 Mesa card. Will be great thx if you'll help me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

=aike=
    I have not yet updated this machine to hm2, so you will need to edit pin names if you are using hm2.
    I will PM the files on Monday when I am back in the shop.

Dave