EMC2 rocks!!

Thread: EMC2 rocks!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMC2 rocks!!

I just made my first cnc machine. I used KellyCam (kcam) at first because it was used in the documentation for my controller. I have a lot of embedded experience. I knew Windows had a lot of latency in the lpt emulator driver but I figured it would be *ok*. I switched to emc2 to see how the realtime extensions would run. *** I am amazed at the difference!!! *** About 5x the speed, and it just sounds so much smoother.

I thought I would eventually switch to an fpga implimentation to get true performance but emc2 looks like it is already there.

Kudos to all the emc2 developers..very nice job!

I was peaking at the HAL code. I've worked with HAL a little before. In the process, I thought I caught a glimpse that the gcode interpreter was a (local) network service (port 50xx or so). Is this true? This means that I could run this part of emc2 on a small embedded controller without xwindows/etc and connect to it from a remote linux installation of emc2? true or not? I would eventually like to do this and simply have a network cable running the distance. Also to be able to run programs off of sdcard that I know work and I dont need to see the GUI screens. (Just select and GO.)

I also want to tie a small display for X,Y,Z,speed,etc into emc2, but this seems pretty easy with the programmable HAL.

Colin

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default User List

Colin,

Your level of expertise in this arena might benefit from posing the question on the listserver. Below is the information to send emails to. I am a new user to both EMC2 and CNC in general. I have been reading the constant stream of email digests to this list with interest. You should give it a try.

The level of expertise that routinely particiaptes in the list is pretty staggering.

Brian

Send Emc-users mailing list submissions to
    emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    emc-users-request@lists.sourceforge.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
    emc-users-owner@lists.sourceforge.net

When replying to previous digests, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
    than "Re: Contents of Emc-users digest..."

Downloads
    Uploads

Done. I will post the message there. However, I was reading the technical articles last night and answered my own questions. My inkling was right. You can run the interpreter/controller part seperately from the gui end and it can be monitored remotely. The controller coding looks *very* flexible from what I read. If I was to make a custom controller at some point, it looks like emc2 embedded into it is the way to go.