Taig Drainage/Coolant System-Enclosure Build~ Pictures~Video~!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taig Drainage/Coolant System-Enclosure Build~ Pictures~Video~!

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Taig Drainage/Coolant System-Enclosure Build~ Pictures~Video~!

Ok, So some of you may remember my drainage system for my Taig Milling Machine. Well, I am a perfectionist and I hated the way the machine looked and I hated the fact that it was going to be very difficult to then build an enclosure around the whole Pan.

I went to Lowes last night with $10 off for a 25.00 purchase: Did some shopping-Got a Mortar Tub, Hosing and some other stuff. I was so sick of that old system, I had to do something. I got home around 11:30Pm and from then on, I spent hours working in there till 2:15 am.

Here is my Old Yucky system

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

My new System: My Drainage needs a little work as far as sealing, I sealed it up but there was a major leak and don't really know why, but i'll have to add more caulking. Other then that, it does drain and the power of the pump is just where I want it!

Video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz7bUJvuw-Y

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by CROSSHATCH; 12-05-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Title

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to pu the video up in a few minutes It's not done yet, I still have too make room for my Steppers for the CNC and everything else, but it's a great start and looks awesome!

-Speed

Downloads
    Uploads

I have found the leak! Last night, or this morning...When I was working on my machine, I had to relocate the machine more towards the center of the bench. Doing so, I had to drill more hole underneath the bench to run the bolts to from table-top to the mill. I accidentally drilled the wrong hole yesterday (Knowing I did after)...But did not know I penetrated the Tub. Well when I did my test, water came gushing out of from underneath the table-top, I had no idea why until 20 minutes ago. All the way underneath the Mill, there was 1/4 inch hole cut and not sealed! Water ran into the hole and just poured, I cleaned the area and filled it with the caulk I was using. Should be good, I'll give a day too dry! Very happy that I finished that, because the water drained just as planned into my tank!

Not taking any chances lol!

-Speed

Downloads
    Uploads

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.

Is it tough to turn the y-axis with the tub wall in the way?

Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Downloads
    Uploads

Tikka, Just bit...But doesn't matter because the entire machine is going to be CNC'd within a week or so. So...Yea But I can still get my hands in there.

I love the looks, I'm all about looks and how things fit together, the mill and this, fit together just right

I'll be starting my enclosure soon but will just build around this. Plus I have about 6 inches on the right to have my pump and tools ! So happy!

Please Post Comments
    -JAson

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to hear you're going CNC. Have you got your controller package together yet?

How the hell are you going to fit a servo/stepper & coupler on the Y axis??

Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Taig on a rock in a pan

Hi
    My setup that took a while to find all the items but worth the hassle.
    thanks
    frank

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taig Drainage/Coolant System-Enclosure Build~ Pictures~Video~!-pol_0015-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's tough to tell from the vid but it looks like your just using plain water in your system. I would highly recommend that you don't do this. The taig's fasteners and ground steel components will corrode rather quickly if not dried off thoroughly after each use which will become very tedious. I use Cool Mist 77 in my flood cooling setup, so far with outstanding results, great bang for the buck

Downloads
    Uploads

Tikka I'm going to make slots (cut outs) and then reshape a box around them, otherwise they wouldn't fit.

Frank-Thanks for sharing

Anokiernan- No No No, I just used plain water too test the system and drain, I wiped it all down after, I would never just use water I'm going to get some coolant, Duh

P.S. Very impressed on how the pressure it pumps, not only will it cool but it will clear chips (I hope

-Speed

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a few ideas on the extensions outside of the Tub that will cover the Steppers but not completely figured out on exactly what I want to use: PVc pipe or something else We'll see!

Here is a Picture of the Manifold I designed and Machined with my Taig that is now the Manifold for the Coolant dispenser on the Headstock.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Big Improvement Jason, I knew you could come up with something better than your first incarnation. Thats usin the 'ole noggin!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much. Honestly though, I can't stand when things are NOT symmetrical or proportioned too each other. It was just so ugly! I'm still so amazed on how well it looks I <3 it. Plus it works, thats always good

-Speed

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks a lot better, but I still can't see why you need to drill holes through your tub. The Taig isn't heavy, couldn't you just put 100kg or so of breeze-blocks into the base of your tub, drill into but not through them, and then bolt the mill down to them?

My little X-1 has been bolted to a frame that just sits on some high friction rubber vibration damping mat - even when it's wet, I can torque up t-nuts on the table to breaking point without the mill moving.

I just worry that with all the vibration during milling, bolt holes will eventually shrug off their sealant and start leaking...

Downloads
    Uploads

Digits, I did that because I felt it was the best, the plastic is very slippery and the Taig is very back heavy, it's very easy for the taig too lean back then it is forward. Personally, I felt it was best for this situation.

I use caulk along on the bolt threads and everywhere. It doesn't dry hard but rubbery so I assume it will take in some of the vibrations. Then Again, I don't think there should be all that much!

-Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

very much improved!! now all you have to do is work out how to collect and filter out the chips...

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea...Collect chips, Vacuum lol....Yea still don't know what do do for the filter??? I'll think of something.

And thank for the compliment.

My new stuff came in, the last of the last! Woot! Woot!

-Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, 2nd test with pump a great success, hole was filled and left to cure and finally sealed. I made a video, but not yet posted. Very happy.

-Speed

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Digits, I did that because I felt it was the best, the plastic is very slippery and the Taig is very back heavy, it's very easy for the taig too lean back then it is forward. Personally, I felt it was best for this situation.

I use caulk along on the bolt threads and everywhere. It doesn't dry hard but rubbery so I assume it will take in some of the vibrations. Then Again, I don't think there should be all that much!

-Jason
    Fair enough - it was only a suggestion. I think I'm probably just overly paranoid about leaks - having dismantled two of my previous table designs, I was amazed how much mold/damp there was, despite never having seen any leaks or noticed any missing coolant.

As for chip filters, I would suggest something fairly coarse - say 0.1" mesh, as you really, really want to stop drill swarf getting into your drainage pipes as even with big-bore pipes, it seems to form wire-wool plugs which eventually cause your coolant to back up. I don't really worry about the really fine chips - they seem to either float or form sediment in the bottom of my coolant sump, and the pump's intake is about 1-1.5" off the bottom, so they don't seem to cause any harm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, I'll need to get a filter going....I'll need to find the mesh and get this going! I most defiantly do not want swarf I'm also going to try and put a filter on where my pump takes in the coolant, that way....I have double the protection, yea!

-Speed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as filtration goes, here's what I use:

The pump and fluid are housed in the lower 5 gallon container. The upper 2 gallon container has a second half gallon container inside with a foam AC filter media draped and secured around the top of it. The half gallon container has holes along the bottom to allow the clean fluid through to the 2 gallon. Finally the 2 gallon container drains into the 5 gallon container. This allows for easy dumping of the chips, and the coolant stays nice and clean. My pump circulates the entire contents of the 5 gallon bucket in 1 minute and so far this filtration system has kept up with it flawlessly:

Lastly, this is just a little food for thought, something I just finished:

I designed the coolant manifold on the Z axis of my taig to have 2 outputs, each with a 1/4-20 screw regulating the flow through that nozzle. Unfortunately my latest parts shipment hasn't arrived yet so I only have the single nozzle on there now, but you get the idea Lastly I left a provision to attach the other end of the rear neoprene cover so that it follows the Z axis. I've run into issues milling steels where a single chip would get in the gibs and bind the Z axis, poof there goes a 8 hour job... It's not done but getting there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast