Question

Thread: Question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question

I asked this before and can't remember the answer. I am getting ready to build a router and I do not know anything about the electronics of it at all. I want to make a list of items I need, like what kind of boards I need. I all ready have my servo's, I am wondering what is better, buying a kit or piece by piece. I thank you for any information anyone can give.

thanks

JIMMY

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm new to this game as well but maybe further down the road.

First are your motors steppers or servos, bipolar or unipolar ?

You will need a board to suit what ever type you are going to use.

Also depending on the size/power of your motors and machine, wether a simple driver board like the one's available from www.kitsrus.com (K179 or K158) or a more powerful feature packed boards like the Xylotex or NC Step will be the most suitable to your design and pocket.

Depending on your electronic skills will determine building from scratch or buying a ready made board.

You will learn more if you build your own probably for half the price of a readymade unit. But saying that it is nice to just open the packet and wire it up.

The Xylotex board is around $125

Downloads
    Uploads

Jimmy,

As you know, your servos with work great with the Gecko G320 drives. What boards are you thinking you need? You will need to build a 36VDC power supply rated for 10-15 amps. When you get the Geckos, limit the current to 5 amps each.

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)