Newbie questions

Thread: Newbie questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Newbie questions

Hello everyone.

I just want to say this website is awesome. I found it a few weeks ago while surfing the net. I have wanted to build a cnc machine for years. I’m a soon to graduate college student, so it will be a few months before I can start building, so I’m just working on the design of my machine. I want my machine to be capable of the following.

X = 24”
    Y = 12”
    Z = 6”
    cutting speed 50 ipm
    3d milling in balsa and other soft woods
    .005” accuracy

I Plan on using a large 1.5-3 hp router for the cutting head, and mdf reinforced with angle iron for the frame. I’m not sure what other parts I need so I have some questions. Any comment or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. If I use large steppers 175-250 oz/in and Xylotex boards, will my machine be able to do 3d milling in balsa and pine at 50 ipm or do I need to use servos and gecko drives?

2. At 50 ipm can I use delrin for drive nuts or do I have to go with metal of some kind?

3. I plan on using drill rod for guides, but what should I use for bearings? Linear ball bearings, delrin, bronze iolite?

When I have made some progress on my design I will post some images here.

-Dan Sherman

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie?

Looking at your questions, i would say you're no newbie !

Ed.

Not the horse, of course of course...
    Building my own Scrapheap challenge CNC, or is it Junkyard wars CNC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Although I've personally never built a stepper system, I would think that you could achieve 50 in./min. with good sized steppers.

For linear motion, try ebay... there's no guarantee, but I would bet you can find THK rails or good thompson linear bearings in sizes that would work for you for little money, and it'll save you a good deal of time trying to find something that will work.

Hope it helps, and keep us updated on your progress.

Oh, yeah, Welcome to CNCZone!!!

My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Ed, NeoMoses

O I’m a newbie Ed, as my dad would say I know just enough about cnc to be dangerous.
    Thanks for the welcome NeoMoses.

I will be spending allot of time on ebay in the future I think, trying to find guides and bearings and motors etc, i'll go blind for sure.

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=DCPMFIELD
    I noticed this little motor the other day I thought it would make a great little servo to run with a gecko if I ran it with a 4:1 reduction. Anyone think this would work?

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

That would work for your needs. At 4:1 ratio that motor will give you about 340 oz/in peek and be turning the screw at 812.5 RPM. If you use a .2 pitch ball screw you will have a maximum speed 162.5 IPM but that also depends on the encoder count you get and how fast your PC will be that sends the steps.

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

For a machine that size I would go with steppers and a xylotex board. You may get closer to 30-40" per minute rapids with that setup tho. I would go with 100-150 oz motors. Your motors should be in the 6 volts or less range, up to a couple of amps. Get nema 23 size. You will need a 24 volt powersupply. Bigger oz/in motors doesn't always mean more speed, so don't fall into that trap. Use a 10 pitch leadscrew with nema 23, or 5 pitch if you go with the heavier nema 34 sizes.

These are all suggestions, and not based on any mathematical formulas, but they are what I would do.

Yes, you can do 3D milling with a xylotex.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Balsman and Dan S,

My experiences so far.

I have two machines, one home made 14x24x5 and a "Cheap CNC" 24x12x4. I use Xylotex controllers on both with a 30V power supply. With the motors that Jeff (116 oz/in) sells with the board I am getting around 50 ipm rapid speeds. Could get more if I had better lead screws. That is all with a 133 mhz pentium. I tried the motors that came with the "Cheap CNC" (145 oz/in) but got better performance with the 116 oz/in. Jeff says it is due to the wire size used in winding the coils. The 145 oz/in motors were rated at about 0.92 amps, the 116 oz/in motors are rated at 1.75 amp.... bigger wire... lower inductance...quicker charge time. In my opinion, the whole Xylotex setup is hard to beat for a machine that size. Cheap to get started, reliable, and cheap to repair or replace if needed.

Marv

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am learning more and more every day. I have decided to go with servos, I need all the ipm I can get. My other hobby is r/c model yachts, and I want to be able to mill the wood parts and, small mold pieces for them. Going with servos and geckos will cost a little more, but if I ever want to go bigger or faster I will have the drives already.

Jeff, Eric I just love your machines; I hope my machine will be half as nice as yours.

Right now I’m just looking for some decent low cost servos, under $100 for 3, then I will have to scour ebay for rails and screws.

Good news I finally found an avatar that’s perfect for me.

-Dan