Second Machine Started

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Machine Started

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Second Machine Started

I have just finished the first machine and have already started on the second. I have been collecting bits for the second and third machines for quite a few months now so at least I won't be waiting on parts. I started cutting the steel base last weekend and hope to make more progress this weekend.

I will build the strengths of the last machine into this one and look at ways of improving some of the weaker areas as well. It will be a steel base with aluminum gantry and all the rails will be commercial products rather than do it yourself. The time and cost of fabricating your own linear rails is not worth it for me. I also feel that no matter how much effort you put into making your own they are likely to be of less quality than commercial rails.

Well that out of the way I thought I would kick this thread off with a photo of my first router and then one of the rails and ballscrew I have purchased for the second machine.

As happened on the first machine I do not have drawings and apart from a concept in my head this thing will evolve as I go so it should be interesting to see the end result. I don't seem to have the patience for drawing but can tinker out in the shed for hours so I figure I may as well do something I enjoy.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-first_router-jpg   Second Machine Started-3_axis_assemblies-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 03-11-2006 at 07:17 PM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After my first post things stopped for various reasons but this weekend Nobott commenced in earnest. Totally changed my ideas over the last six weeks and have settled on a 400mm by 400mm by 100mm cutting envelope. The reason for the smaller machine is that it will take up less room and be easier to enclose in a soundproof vacuum cabinet.
    This photo shows the steel base with the X axis ballscrew assembly fitted. The Y axis assembly is sitting on the temporary table and the linear rail will be fixed on the sides of this unit.
    The sides have been extended above the table to protect the linear rails from sawdust and swarf.
    The frame measure 600mm by 500mm at the moment but it will grow as the gantry is built.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_first_assembly_3-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This photo shows the frame with the temporary table removed. Perhaps it would have been easier to get a cast iron block and shape it.
    I like a heavy base on machinery so I think I have achieved this as I can only just lift it now. Next step is to break it down, cut the bolts to size, shape the steel a bit and then prime and paint it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_first_assembly_4-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last photo for tonight shows the underside and ballscrew assembly. I might drop out the linear rails on this assembly as they will be doing nothing except add a bit more friction.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_first_assmebly_5-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this looks very nice..

are those slides ebay finds?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good.
    That is really solid.
    Are you only running one rail along one side?
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vacpress
    Yes the slides are Ebay items.

Paul
    There will be two linear rails - one each side. I just popped the ballscrew assembly and one rail on the table for the photo.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rodm1954
    Paul
    There will be two linear rails - one each side. I just popped the ballscrew assembly and one rail on the table for the photo.
    Makes more sense to me now. I was missinterpriting one of your posts.
    Your going to need to wear your steel caps when moving this puppy.
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A Magnificent Day Outside

Perth was 22 degrees which is 72 degrees in our old currency so I wheeled the workbench outside and enjoyed the day. I had one of those days when you break taps and drill bits and put things down and can't find them but it was great being outdoors.
    Oh yeah, it wasn't dream time all day and I did mange to get a bit of work done. During the week I stripped it down and shaped the steel a bit then sanded and painted. Assembly took a while as I had to make sure it was square. To make assembly easier I made up a few jigs out of MDF and used them as gauges.
    I attached the X axis linear rails by tapping into the steel sides. So X axis is finished and next weekend I will make the aluminum gantry.
    It was getting dark when I took the photo but you can see a bit of the garden setting I enjoyed all day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_x_finished-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 05-08-2006 at 12:31 PM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A night in the shed and Y and Z axis are finished. I can't take any credit for the axis as they were purchased as complete assemblies but I did make the joining plate. Got to say this has been the easiest machine to build.
    All I have to do is make a couple of sides for the gantry bolt this assembly to it and this machine is very close to being finished. I might even see some movement this weekend.

For those interested the X and Y axis travel is 400mm and the Z is 100mm. It is only a small machine but it will be ideal for engraving and decorative panels.
    The rails on Y axis are 20mm and the rails on Z are 16mm. Ballscrews are 20mm pitch on X and Y and 10mm pitch on Z so it should be fast. I will try a direct couple with the motors but if the Nema 23 260oz motors aren't strong enough I have set it up to be able to retrofit pulleys. I will be running a Xylotex board and I have Mach3 and Vcarve software.

If you have a look at the first machine in this thread you will notice I have an engraved plate of the name of it on there. It is OBOTT which was a nickname given to me by a CNC group in Perth and it stands for "Our Brother of the Turnbuckle". If you look inside the base of that machine you will see I used turnbuckles to allign the sides. I have named this machine NOBOTT for the obvious reason that there is no turnbuckles on it.

Now before anybody says anything I promise to take my medication before I make my next post.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_y_z-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 05-08-2006 at 12:33 PM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nobott, son of Obott

Hi Rod,

Very, very nice! This will be one fantastic machine.

well done so far.

cheers, Jason

Cheers, Jason
    Sydney, NSW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jason
    Always nice to get some encouragement.

It is Mother’s day weekend so I was sure to cook the boss lunch and make the usual fuss.

I did manage to sneak out in the shed for a while and I have made good progress on the gantry. First I made a plate to connect the linear bearings. I cut the gantry sides and put a bit of shape into them and then assembled the gantry and Y and Z axis assemblies to it.

I just have the gantry sitting on the bench but I will lift it a bit and bolt a plate underneath that will pick up the X axis.

For something interesting yesterday I cut some dovetail templates out of 12mm MDF as a favor. I did them on my first router (Obott) and was pleased with the end product.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_bearing_plate_x-jpg   Second Machine Started-nobott_gantry_1st_front-jpg   Second Machine Started-nobott_gantry_1st_back-jpg   Second Machine Started-dovetail_templates-jpg  

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks really nice.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Rod this looks like it is going to be a great machine and very accurate.

Your log on the ubeaut site is responsible for drawing my attention to the whole homebuilt CNC world.

I am now keen to build a machine and are gathering up bits and pieces.

Planning on similar in quality wise to your machines.

Probably with THK type rails. Cheap allthreads to get it going with then upgrading to acme or ball screws latter.
    Thinking at this time to go for fixed gantry and moving x axis table about A4 size working area.

Anyhow keep up the log and I will follow your progress.

Greolt

Downloads
    Uploads

Good looking machines, Rod. I like the way the names occured as well.
    Looks like this will certainly do what you need it to.
    Look forward to seeing it in action.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gerry and Lee. I hope it works. Greolt there are a few lurking from Ubeaut and Phillby has a build log on here. I have sent you a PM.

Tonight I finished off the gantry and connected X axis. First photo is the underside showing how I connected the gantry to the X axis ballscrew with a 100mm wide plate. The plate is just a piece of scrap but it is important to have a solid connection because it takes out the racking in the gantry. The bolt heads connecting the plate to the gantry are just rubbing on the table so I will have to either use countersunk screws or lift the machine a bit.

On this first assembly and with the ballscrew attached I can pull on the gantry and it moves freely along the entire length so the signs are good at this stage.

The other two photos are right side up and show some of the gantry detail. Next will be the table and I have been told of a good way to make it adjustable so I will try to incorporate it on this machine. If it doesn't work you will know in my next post.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-nobott_3_axis_finished_x_under-jpg   Second Machine Started-nobott_3_axis_finished_front-jpg   Second Machine Started-nobott_3_axis_finished_side-jpg  
    Last edited by Rodm1954; 05-17-2006 at 08:03 AM.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking real good.
    You've made quick progress and looks professional.
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Paul
    To be honest it hasn't been all that difficult because the ballscrew and slide assmeblies have helped. All I have done is put a bit of steel and aluminum around them.

cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow thats some pretty smicko gear you've got there Rod

Sent you an email.

Greolt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progress on Nobott (Son of Obott)

The second attempt at the table adjusters has worked well. I have attached steel flats to the underside of the MDF and have used a sort of push pull method. A thread in the flat bar allows a screw to push the bar upwards when turned. A second screw which is in a through hole into the frame is then used to lock it down. Probably best to look at the photos as it is hard to explain. What I have is a matrix of adjusters at close to 200mm centres so there is plenty of adjustment to get the table flat.

I also fitted some of those Ikea style knock down connectors that have a coarse thread on the outside and a 6mm thread on the inside. You screw them into the MDF with an allen key and I have found them ideal for clamping jobs to the table. See photo.

I made brass bushes to fit the couplings and motor shaft and then connected the motors to the mounts on the ballscrew. I also turned up aluminum knobs (wheels?) for the motors with a knurled section so that it is easier to manually move the axis. You need to purchase the motors with shafts extending out both ends to fit these. I find this handy particularly when setting up Z axis to zero on the material being cut. I cut and fitted a 12mm aluminum plate to the Z axis ready to mount the router.

The Xylotex driver board is mounted so with a bit of luck I will be able to fit the cables and see some movement this week.

Obott

While playing around with Nobott I ran a VCarve job on Obott. It was just a test to see if my vector conversion worked and the logo came out alright. It is on MDF and I have slapped some artist colour into the engraving to make it easier to see. I am impressed with VCarve as it uses a lot of Z axis movement to get the sharp corners. I used a ½ inch 90 degree V bit for the job.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Machine Started-tableadjuster_under-jpg   Second Machine Started-table_adjuster_upper-jpg   Second Machine Started-table_all_upper-jpg   Second Machine Started-nobott_table_motors_fitted-jpg  

Second Machine Started-cbh_logo_1-jpg  
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast