stepper controllers - - -help please

Thread: stepper controllers - - -help please

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default stepper controllers - - -help please

Hey all, new-bee here. I just acquired 4 NEMA34 305oz stepper motors. I want to be able to control a compound milling table with them. Problem is this: "I no that I need to be able to send signals to them (obviously)..I have no idea what I need to buy. How do I determine what type of controller(s) I need? I have an extra P4 PC (XP operating system). I am looking for a cheap way to get up and running in an attempt to learn the very basics. After I acquire the basic skills, I might want to attack building my own CNC Router table...just don't know where to start and want to fiddle with the stepping motors I just got....can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch in advance to all who help...seems like a great group of people to hang (e-chat) with.

John
    Chicago Area

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I think one of the best places to start would be tutorial section at
    Good luck with your new motors you'll have a blast with this new hobby!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since you already have the xp running I would take a hard look at the Mach2 software at www.artofcnc.ca This is pretty powerful 6axis controller that has most of the bells and whistles and it is only around $150 USD. If you aree going to micro step you will need drivers capable of that. If you are going full or half step email me as I have some stuff I am getting ready to sell. My email
    address is: XturnercustomsX@earthlink.neXt Take the capital X's out since I am trying to cut down on my amount of Spam intake!!!

turmite

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check your steppers and see what are the volts and amps ratings on it. Then you can think on getting a controller capable of handling those 2 parameters. Xylotex.com has a good controller for about 125.00. Possibly the best out there for the price.
    Good luck, Jose.

SuperDAD

Downloads
    Uploads

If the xylotex drive will not have the capability that you need (I would be pleasantly surprised if it did) then try the geckodrive website - The G201 or G210 - an awesome product that will do what you want & that would hold much of its value should you want to sell it.

Keep us posted on your build.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, check out the "white paper" at the geckodrive site (in the support section.)

After you get your drives you may be in a better position to evaluate the software options that are available (many or all of them will work depending on what you want to do).