Dayton 4x8 CNC router

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dayton 4x8 CNC router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dayton 4x8 CNC router

Can I get some opinions on this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Dayton-4x8-CNC-R...QQcmdZViewItem
    further specs

> Item 4x8 router
    > Table Size 9.8x6.2
    > X,Y,Z working area 4x8
    > X,Y,Z Traveling Positioning Accuracy 0008
    > X,Y,Z Repositioning Accuracy 0003
    > Lathe Structure no rotary attachment
    > Y Structure 3/4 Ballscrew
    > X, Z Structure Ballscrew in both x and z
    > Max Consumer Power 220 single phase
    > Max Speed 200 IPM rapid
    > Max Working Speed 160 IPM rapid
    > Spindle Power Motor 1.5hp
    > Working Mode G
    > Spindle Speed 1000 to 20,000
    > Working Voltage 220 single phase
    > Command G & M
    > Operating System Windows PC
    > Interface Printer port connection
    > Blade Diameter up to 1/3 shank
    > XY Working Tolerance .0008 +- .0003
    > Software Mach1 demo
    > Packing Size 10ft X 7ft
    > Net Weight 1,360

Thanks,
    Brendin

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Xnaron; 11-06-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a nice machine for the money. I can't tell for sure, but is the frame/body made from metal or MDF? The answer to that would change a lot of things...

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Downloads
    Uploads

I am pretty sure it is made of steel. I suspect it is made in China. There aren't very many specs listed for it though. It might be a good base though to start with. Better components could be added later or could they?

Brendin

Downloads
    Uploads

300 oz steppers are pretty small for a machine of that size, and I suspect the drives aren't as good as Geckos, but that's just a guess.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I could install better steppers and gecko drives. As long as the rest of the table is good. Anyone see any obvious design flaws?

Here is another low priced 4x8 table http://cgi.ebay.com/4-X-8-CNC-Router...QQcmdZViewItem
    thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brendin

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron
    I could install better steppers and gecko drives. As long as the rest of the table is good. Anyone see any obvious design flaws?

Here is another low priced 4x8 table http://cgi.ebay.com/4-X-8-CNC-Router...QQcmdZViewItem
    thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brendin
    It says it includes Mach software and connects via USB. Mach2 or 3 don't work with USB, though. Parallel port only. 0 feedback would make me a little nervous too.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the specs for the Dayton unit...

> Item 4x8 router
    > Table Size 9.8x6.2
    > X,Y,Z working area 4x8
    > X,Y,Z Traveling Positioning Accuracy 0008
    > X,Y,Z Repositioning Accuracy 0003
    > Lathe Structure no rotary attachment
    > Y Structure 3/4 Ballscrew
    > X, Z Structure Ballscrew in both x and z
    > Max Consumer Power 220 single phase
    > Max Speed 200 IPM rapid
    > Max Working Speed 160 IPM rapid
    > Spindle Power Motor 1.5hp
    > Working Mode G
    > Spindle Speed 1000 to 20,000
    > Working Voltage 220 single phase
    > Command G & M
    > Operating System Windows PC
    > Interface Printer port connection
    > Blade Diameter up to 1/3 shank
    > XY Working Tolerance .0008 +- .0003
    > Software Mach1 demo
    > Packing Size 10ft X 7ft
    > Net Weight 1,360

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brendin,

Unless you want to be a guinea pig, insist on references from the company. You need to talk to customers who are using this machine. Get their feedback before you purchase.

Carlo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It will be well over $5000 delivered. Nearest port? Like Wilmington or Oakland, or nearest truck freight terminal.
    Not bad but, there are no closeups, and no pictures from the back; the "Sunny USA" address makes me nervous too.
    Also from the way the light reflects in one of the images it appears that the white metal may be quite thin.
    What diameter are the ballscrews, one has to be around 9 ft long. How is the gantry stiffened? What type of bearings are used on the rails? Is there a power supply for the steppers?
    There are missing and inconsistent details that could make this a good or bad deal.
    Ask a bunch of questions; the way the answers are handled will tell you a lot.

David
    www.solsylva.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what to say.....
    Here is another one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Starting bid: $4,299.00
    Its hard to believe that somebody sells this kind of toy for the price of the spindle (1.5 HP 1000 to 24000 RPM, Water Cooled)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by workaholic_ro
    I don't know what to say.....
    Here is another one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Starting bid: $4,299.00
    Its hard to believe that somebody sells this kind of toy for the price of the spindle (1.5 HP 1000 to 24000 RPM, Water Cooled)
    Not one photo shows details of the machine. Would it cost them to open the doors and get some close up shots?

Carlo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are simple "do not buy" filters for this kind of business.
    Shipping insurance and credit cards.
    Legit businesses offer and use both.

David
    www.solsylva.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We actually checked out one of their "higher end" routers. It was poorly made and the cutting speed was painful. Maybe 60 IPM and they were cutting foam. The system chattered at that speed. They called me today and offered a "stripped down verson" for 3k.. I asked them the difference between the "Stripped down version" and the one they showed me several weeks ago for for $12,000. I was told nothing it is the same machine. They sem pretty desperate. This one I would warn you to stay away from. By the way it is made in Vietnam..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The machine looks ok to me, except it appears to have a center driven ballscrew AND a very short distance between bearings on the gantry. This could cause some serious problems with off center cutting. I am also interested in one of these machines, but for about 7 - $10,000 you can get one that is much better with racks on both sides and Hiwin linear rails.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Industrial-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Much less if you get it straight from the source

http://xhy-neon.en.alibaba.com/produ...NC_Router.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cncaddict, do you know anyone who has bought one of those? Me and a friend have been looking at them for weeks and don't know if they would hold up or not.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Definitely made in China. The problem, like other things from China is no support or parts. Just like the Pocket Bikes, no one is the same and made from any parts that they can find. Ive head the control and software is very bad.
    China is sending over disposible junk (at very low prices) that works for a while then wears out and you can't fix. (Just like Gecko drives)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down Watch Out!!!!!!!

I tried to deal with BOTH of the guys selling these machines on eBay. The guy in the Boston area wanted me to send him the money and then hope that I got the machine. He would not let me use an escrow service. Right after I decided NOT to deal with him, eBay took him down. Then someone else listed the machine with the exact same ad. He has tried to sell it at least three times without the reserve being met.
    Another guy on eBay has several sizes of these machines listed. He will not respond to emails. I would REALLY watch out for him.
    FINALLY.... I tried to deal with a guy in Chippewa Falls, WI on one of these Chinese machines. I made an appointment to meet with him and inspect the machine. I flew from Phoenix to Minneapolis and then made the drive to Chippewa Falls. The only problem was that he wasn't there!!! His shop was an old woodworking shop located behind his home. The machines were in a far back corner buried in debris.
    I was able to see the machine, however. It has a cast iron table and uses rack an pinion on the X and Y axis. It seems to be built fairly well, but the electronics were not enclosed leading me to assume that they were installed here.
    Also, if you read the fine print, you will see that the USB controller only works in metric. You download your G-Code via USB to the controller's 32MB on-board memory. If you want SAE sizing and controls, you have to set it up with a PC and forego the 32MB onbaord memory option.
    After going to Texas, Minneapolis, Seattle, and making hundreds of calls, I've decided to go with Shop Sabre. They have the best looking (but certainly NOT cheapest) machine. They assemble and test it with YOUR PC and have the best support after the sale. Oh. Yeah. Did I mention that they were there when I visited their professional-looking shop?

Downloads
    Uploads

Good info...I'll stay away...

Brendin

Downloads
    Uploads

I just received my Dayton router from China (Sunny USA). I must say it needed some extra TLC. The base of the router is a sand casting. The stand is thin wall square tubing. Wiring was screwed up when I received it. The stepper controllers were mis-wired and I had to make an adaptor cable to go from the 25 pin printer port to a 15 pin on the controller. Has 3 prox. switches for limits. Ball screws look to be of good quality. The stepper drivers are working fine with Mach 3 software. The max speed I can get is 150 ipm fast traverse and about 100 ipm cutting (300 oz-in motors). The router came with NO documentation but hopefully I will be getting some soon. All things considered I think it's a good buy if your on a limited budget like I am. It appears this is the first of the routers shipped surely things will get better ). If I can answer any more questions I will be happy to.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ATECHY
    sounds like pure luxury ! I purchased my router in Sep paided up front, heard nothing till Jan, wasn't shipped till Feb, Arrived 26th Mar, (i did however get the rack mounted instead of ball screw for both X and Y axis - as a freebe due to the delays, Which tells me they weren't even built when I ordered / paid for mine)
    As I'm in Australia we are 17 Hours in front - and no one wants to talk to you or answer ALL your questions, they just choose the parts they can blaim someone else for and answer only those bits.

x axis is single stepper in middle of table the rack is in two pieces and at the join the stepper binds - cause of problem two stripped screws
    Gantry supports that secure to the x-axis (linear slides ) were loose - needed the bed lifting to tighten the mounting screws.
    the z-axis housing assembly the secures to the y-axis linear slide was so loose that the stepper made a funny grinding sound when moved by hand along the gear rack. - now everthing is tight the y-axis binds in places
    the bed is 8ft x 4ft T-slot Aluminium made up of 110mm wide pieces screwed to the table- not one of them are at the same height

I have no documentation at all

I don't know which pins of the Router Connecter (looks like a games port -15pins) go to which pins on the printer port of the computer (if that's how you connect it up)

the LCD display has letters in front of some numbers - have no idea what they represent.

I do know that the spindle will spin at 1RPM -but has no torque
    and has a max speed of 54000 - not loaded (according to the LCD display)

Sorry I don't have with any photos with me of the uneven bed I was discribing (but can add them tommorow if Ppl want to see them)

If anyone wants a copy of all the e-mail traffic to get a feel for what they are buying please e-mail me

Other than these small issues <tic> the machine is heavly welded the gantry arms are solid 1'' plate and I think that if it had arrived with documentation, I would have worked thru the issues above, but that was the straw for me! I am now in the middle of trying to return the router but it looks like it will be at my cost (Approx $2kUSD) and that is just to china not sure if I will have to pay for return to me

SO......

Here is my options
    I get some info on comnnecting the router to the computer (hope you can help atechy)

I find out how to align the z-axis to the table so it drives vertically down and not at an angle - this could be difficalt as the table is uneven)

or
    I walk away from the whole deal and try to recover my costs (but I don't think they will give me back the $1,500USD it cost me to clear customs and have it delivered)

Note:

you will notice in Photo ..1686 that there is a white substance between the Silver Aluminium and the red C-section this looks like some form of alluminium paste. It's pursore, that is - I'm guessing it's purpose is to .... Provide a layer for the table to sit above..
    I say this as when I removed one of the T-slot runners to tighten a few bolts I noticed it had been poorly machined and in places even looked like it had been hack-sawed to something slightly resembling a flat surface - Noting this I guessed it's purpose was to create a FLAT and LEVEL area upon which to mount the T-Sloted runners.....

If this had been done correctly I beleive the table would be fantastic ! (unless the extruded T-slot Aluminium was not very precise)

any option would be greatly appriciated and sorry for the long post

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dayton 4x8 CNC router-dsc01670-jpg   Dayton 4x8 CNC router-dsc01668-jpg   Dayton 4x8 CNC router-dsc01673-jpg   Dayton 4x8 CNC router-dsc01679-jpg  

Dayton 4x8 CNC router-dsc01686-jpg   Dayton 4x8 CNC router-dsc01682-jpg  

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast