Pulse generator / controller boards for EMC.. which one?

Thread: Pulse generator / controller boards for EMC.. which one?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Pulse generator / controller boards for EMC.. which one?

Hey all,

Depending on how the bank feels about my credit, I'm either buying a Techno Isel router, or building my own hulking beast - 750W AC servos all around, rotating nut ball screw assembilies, dangerously fast rapids.. all the stuff we love. My question is this however...

Is EMC really the best way to go? I've managed to get it going out of the LPT port, and it seemed fine, but I'm wondering about the max pulse rate I can get. I'd rather output at the encoders resolution than use electronic gearing, if I can help it. As far as I know, this means I need to use something OTHER than the LPT port to reliably get the fastest pulse train output, and I want a bunch of I/Os for hard and soft limits, tool changes, and so forth.

I also really like the idea of the ladder logic system - Whatever card I get will probably be able to interface with this, right? I really like the geckodrive G-Rex, but that's only because it looks like a PLC. plus I hear that they suck to interface to.

So if I end up building a machine, which looks like a 50/50 at the moment, it's going to be big, fast, and dangerous. I need a reliable controller to keep it from hurting itself or others.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Andy B.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a list of supported hardware.

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...orted_Hardware

Right now - the only thing I know of that is a pulse generator for emc is the pico systems universal stepper controller. this runs off the printer port.
    http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/univstep.html

They are working on firmware for the mesa board to make it a pulse generator... But that is not done yet.

sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well.... It looks like I'm building my own for sure. Damn stupid banks. And EMC looks like the way to go. Wish me all luck, I'll post my work as soon as I get moving.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is another up and coming option for a high speed pulse card. NcPod by OemTech. I don't think they have EMC interface yet. I do know they are working with Art at MACH.