Shop Sabre CNC router? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shop Sabre CNC router?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

What '02 router? Mr ShopSabreCNC is mixed up.

The router was purchased NEW in July or August(I think received in August 07).

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Then how do you explain the gecko drives on a servo router? That doesn't make sense to me. Does it have servo's or gecko's? If you think you are wiring a stepper and you have servo's doesn't that raise a red flag?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe I've stated this a few times, there ARE steppers on the ROTARY axes. 2 rotary tables with stepper motors on them. XYZW are all servo. AB are stepper.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought the router that was having the problems was an '02 ,every post mentioned a 5 year old router.I will have to go back and read the original.Hmmmm.......Mr Shopsabre.....I like it !

What '02 router? Mr ShopSabreCNC is mixed up.

The router was purchased NEW in July or August(I think received in August).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I for one just decided on a SS 4896. I sign the papers at the bank wenesday and they will be starting on my machine. I have been to their facility and that was all it took for me. They are a smaller company (like Me) but I got the feeling they are a hard working group of Local talented guys that don't hide behind a big corporate wall of BS. Yes there are many companies out there and it is up to each of us to decide what we buy.

The owner of shop sabre along with the help of Jason Berry I was there for almost 5 hours. They where both back there showing me what ever I wanted to see not like most owners would have been out golfing or something.

They showed me there first prototype table that is now a welding table and they showed me the improvements that they have made on it over the years. I would expect to see improvements all the time. I in my business can look back at race cars I lettered 3 years ago and I say why did I do it like that. I have got so much better in the last years.

I won't bash other machines because SS is the only one I saw in person and it was what I needed so I got it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hello

Good choice ! same choice I made this summer, although I did not have the pleasure of the tour, but spoke to those who have and their comments were very similar to yours .Well congratulations again on your new purchase.Let us know how your assembly goes, mine was not a problem and unless you have a propane powered fork lift use an engine hoist to lift the gantry or five or six men.I was going to use the forks, but did not want to be breathing the diesel fumes that long .What software are you getting ?
    Ben

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Curious

Hi all,
    Congradulations on your CNC purchase.
    I have been in the business for about 4 years and cannot imagine going back to doing things the hard way!
    I am curious, you said something about assembly? What do you need to assemble? How do you know if you did it right? Is it hard to do?
    I have 2 Techno machines ( a 4896LC and a 59120 LC) they came completely assembled, and all I had to do was plug them in!
    I am going to buy a third machine this year, and the ShopBots sound interesting.
    Any answers out there?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In order to save on shipping costs, they offer the option of Shipping the machine with the Gantry removed to make it easier to crate and also I believe to help prevent damage in transit.

If you go there and pick it up they will leave the gantry on the machine so it is plug and play. I do believe others do the same thing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All

I just wanted to chime on the ShopSabre discussion. I have had mine for a few months now. It has worked great. I can cut identical parts all day long. I have had no problems except of my own making. I keep coming up with things to cut that I hadn't thought I would. If I was doing it again the only thing I would do different would add a couple of options if I could afford it. If anyone has any questions, you can email me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am a sign shop so I have Sign Lab (draws 2D shapes and text) I will take that into VCarve and apply the effects I want. I will use Rhino 3D to make 3D shapes and use Cut3D to cut it.

The gantry does come detatched and from what they explained , it was like 8 bolts you have to put in. It is not a whole bolt together kit like some. THe table top is all welded and you set it on the pedestal stand and like 4 bolts or you can weld it there.

IMHO...

The main thing I got was why they choose to do it this way is for easier freight and you can fit the machine through smaller doors if you needed to get it into a part of your shop that had a standard walk through door. then you can assemble it in there and disasemble it to move out.

(Shop Sabre correct me if I am wrong on that statement)

some machines are shipped in one piece and for me if don't matter I have a 14' overhead door but some people have tighter spots to fit it in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a couple of Shop Sabre questions.

Searching this forum or Google doesn't turn up much on these machines. Why is that?

Any guesses on the weight of the gantry? If I get one for my shop, the gantry and frame will have to be carried down a short flight of stairs.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Shop sabre is a fairly new company. that is why there is not much out there on them. www.shopsabre.com ask for Jason Berry

the 4896 is 2200 LBS it is in three pieces but I would not want to carry it down stairs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

in all my years of woodworking and metal working I have never had a machine that was so frustrating. The man hours lost and wasted not mentioning the loss in materials and customers, with the annoyance of existing clients in being unable to complete projects, just because this machine continually keeps breaking down! I have never felt so ripped off, I am going to put a sign in front of my shop saying I own a ShopSabre , unfortunately, I would like your business, I would like to make things for you, but like I said I own a ShopSabre so maybe I will be able to make it with this machine, but I wouldn't bet on it. So if you have money and time to waste step right on in and I will give it a try, it just might be your lucky day!

There are some really nice people there at ShopSabre , they are always very helpful over the phone in attempting to solve the problems even sending replacement parts, if they have them on hand-I might get them a week later. There was even a technician sent my shop twice on different occasions, a really nice guy that really seem to care and did his best to get this machine up and running properly and it did for a couple weeks, to bad he lives over 2000 miles away. I would offer him a job but since I am losing more money with this machine than I am making, not sure how I would pay him. Major lessons learned from this experience: one) don't buy an expensive piece of equipment unless it is local made or at the least in the same state. Two) never pay the full price up front.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

today was a prime example that customer has been wanting his parts made for the last two days unable to get the machine to cut the parts properly, in frustration the client was in the shop watching me attempting to cut his parts, he has a small CNC router, there is nothing like seeing the look on a customer's face when the tool holder comes flying out of the router as it is rotating at 15000 RPM

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry for all your problems.. I have had a few small problems but nothing like that. most mine have been me just learning how to used the programs and machine. I don't know how to help your problems what exactly is it doing? other than releasing tools.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ro7all View Post
    There was even a technician sent my shop twice on different occasions, a really nice guy that really seem to care and did his best to get this machine up and running properly and it did for a couple weeks, to bad he lives over 2000 miles away. I would offer him a job but since I am losing more money with this machine than I am making, not sure how I would pay him. Major lessons learned from this experience: one) don't buy an expensive piece of equipment unless it is local made or at the least in the same state. Two) never pay the full price up front.
    Here's where I start sounding like an a$$hole again.
    Is it the machine or you? Works for couple of weeks then doesn't. WTF
    "Toolholder comes out of the spindle at 15000 rpm" If the tool holder
    loaded properly it would not have came out. The design is such that centrifical force will increase the hold on to the pull stud. Is your air compressor maintaining constant 125 psi? There are so many varibles to the operation on any CNC machine ( electromagnetic interference, air pressure, bad grounding, voltage spikes or drops) If your set up was incomplete or poorly done you will have problems no matter what machine you have. Was my SS perfect out of the crate? "Hell no" But once I got things ironed out, with some help from SS and some back tracking on my set up, it been smooth sailing for the last 2 1/2yrs. Sorry to hear your problems have had such a negitive effect on your buisness. But if you think CNC is a "plug in and play" type of deal you've been misled.

Todd
    www.innovative-accents.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

todd.. you are not a a hole. you are right. I can't belive the tool releases at 15,000. I have never seen that even with the air supply off I can't pull my toolholder out if I wanted to. Is there a lot of debris built up in there where is is not catching. the air does not hold it in it only clicks a silinoid to release it.

I am a sign shop I can make you that sign Jack a$$ because Mine works.

I let SS know about your thread here also ro7all

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Correction to ro7all post

In response to Ron's post as ro7all:

Let's get all of the facts on the table before you post incorrect statements for the world to see. The fact is these post were done before you contacted anyone here. The first we here from you is this morning and come to find out you have damaged the spindle some how. When "metal pieces fall out" as you stated, that is beyond our control. As far as any other issue, we have helped and in fact we have sent a techincian to you at our cost to resolve any issues. The last visit we made, everything was functioning as designed and you in fact told us everything was working great a couple of weeks ago.

Now the fact is you let your operator go and hired someone new, we are not responsible for the learning curve of the new operator. By crashing the head into the table surface and setting off the servo, this again is not the fault of the machine. The CNC can only do what it is told.

I hate to have something get to this point as we have been working together and helping resolve any issue. No one is perfect and things happen, we know that and this is why we continue to help.

If I had an issue with your cabinet parts would I post something on the internet trying to degrad you or would I call you directly and work together as business professionals?

We have helped and will continue to help with any issue that may arise, but please state the complete facts.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please call us at 800-493-6021.
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

kustomkoncepts,sorry todd71 is an a-hole,i sit next to him everyday!the shpsabre on the otherhand is a fine and forgiving machine.30 years machining experience. bruce

Last edited by bruce57; 11-07-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast