HSD 915 tool change spindle air usage

Thread: HSD 915 tool change spindle air usage

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HSD 915 tool change spindle air usage

I have the new IS510 in place and it looks good, the test file cut well. I'm trying to get an idea for how much air usage the spindle should pulling, my 40 gallon 2 stage 3hp air compressor is kicking on about every 6 minutes (I calculated about 2 CFM constant air usage from the spindle based on the pressure drop from start/stop). Air constantly blows out the bottom of the spindle, not from the taper, and yes I checked when the spindle fan was off. Is this for the bearing to keep them pressurized so that nothing gets into them and should it be using this much air or is something else happening? It draws the same amount of air whether a tool is in the taper or not (I clocked the compressor and verified the start/ stop pressures).

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HSD 915 tool change spindle air usage

I found this in an HSD manual:

"The pneumatic circuit for internal pressurization prevents dirt from entering the electro-spindle.
    This system is fed at 4 bar (58 PSI). Waste air is exhausted through the forward facing labyrinth
    ports in the spindle nose.
    Compressed air at 4 bar (58 PSI) must always be delivered to the electrospindle
    even when it is not operating."

So constant air flow is supplied and flows out through the spindle to keep dust/etc. out of it. Is 2 CFM expected and does it need air 24/7 or just for a little while after the spindle cools down when done for the day?

Downloads
    Uploads

It does not need air 24/7. I turn off my compressor when I leave in the evening - sometimes minutes after I finish routing - and I've even run the CNC on just the tank air for a while when I forgot it was turned off due to the forklift charging on the same outlet (eventually the tool change stops working and you figure it out) and it seems none the worse for wear though I am not the busiest router around.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

We went to the training at ShopSabre in Minnesota and I got a lot of questions in to Ben (tech support). He said the air also aids in cooling that lower ceramic bearing, so make sure it's dry air being supplied. Also, 10,000 rpm for 10 minutes was his recommended warmup time for the spindle bearings before cutting.

Glad to hear you're set up with the new machine. Can't wait for ours!

Downloads
    Uploads

Its a nice machine. I'm still trying to figure out the differences needed in the gcode for WinCNC having come from Mach 3 but I've starting making parts with my rotary axis and they are coming out nice and consistent. I've got a few questions that I'll call Shopsabre about with some of my code but so far its a huge leap forward for me with the added size, speed, tool changer, servo repeatability, etc. Talk to them about your leadtime, ours shipped out about 9 weeks later than the longest leadtime given when we ordered it (total of about 19 weeks to ship it from order date).

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, Shopsabre support to the rescue again. I sent them a video of the issue I was having with my rotary axis slowing down unnecessarily for certain moves and he immediately knew what was up, just a few characters to add to the rotary axis part of the WINCNC parameter file and works like a champ now. I've been happy with the machine, it does what I ask and it does it well and quickly and tech support has been great, I've always been able to get a hold of someone within a few minutes.

Nice. Did you get the rotary with your machine or did you have one from your previous set up? I would like to add one someday. It would be nice for turning legs and cutting mortises for table bases, islands, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

my question about the atc spindle es929
    which is that I am using one cutting tool most of the time means not required tool change often. so closed the air supply to the machine/ spindle to save the air compressor running continue . As i know that cooling is done by the cooling fan. so the air is for tool change and internal cleaning. as i mentioned go for tool change rarely.
    will closing the air to machine will make any issue to the spindle? i am asking because just reading the manual i find this which is below.
    ( The cylinders of these electro spindles are double-acting: it is necessary to keep the cylinder under pressure to maintain the piston at the upper end stop, far from the fast rotating parts. )