I have a question for the shop sabre guy, well Ben or Logan if you guys are monitorin

Thread: I have a question for the shop sabre guy, well Ben or Logan if you guys are monitorin

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I have a question for the shop sabre guy, well Ben or Logan if you guys are monitorin

This is David from ASI.
    I was going over the machine making sure all is going well since we got it working so well now. We are putting alot of hours on it.
    Well I found one of the pneumatic tubes coming from the balance cylinder on the Z axis in the e-chain not connected. The other side is
    connected to the 37 psi regulator.

Is this correct?
    If so then it is a up assist and acts like a cushion on the down movements?
    I thought you were using it as a weight counterbalance/assist for the Z axis
    to help unload the servo so it was only working when going into the material.

David

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I have a question for the shop sabre guy, well Ben or Logan if you guys are monit

Not with SS, but I believe you are right. The cylinder is weight support for the spindle so the z motor doesn't have to carry all the load. I didn't like the line being open on the top of the cylinder (which is basically a breather) so I put a filter on it to keep the dust out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I have a question for the shop sabre guy, well Ben or Logan if you guys are monit

David...
    rgh is correct. The air cylinder (in position with the shaft end down) uses pressure to the lower port to counterbalance the weight of the physical Z components. Somewhere around "neutral buoyancy" is desired. This means that the effort to lift the Z mechanics would be very close to that to lower them.

The upper port on the cylinder should be vented to daylight. Using a filter (muffler) on the port is common, as is running a tube to a less dusty location. Assuming the regulator is set properly for your cylinder/spindle combination, you should be good to go.

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits