Air supply question

Thread: Air supply question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Air supply question

How are you fellas getting moisture out of your air supplied to the spindle? I'm using 2 water traps positioned as close to the spindle as possible and make sure they are always drained. I've wondered if anyone is using an actual air dryer in the line?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have installed a air dryer in the line . It takes out allot of moisture but still leaves some. I'm thinking of going to a larger dryer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn,... You are doing it the proper way. I hope I don't do damage by only using the water traps... I wonder how many Cnc guys are using traps versus dryers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you mean by water traps ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Water traps are large glass bowl/cup resivours with a bleeder valve at the bottom - when air passes through the line and trap the water is separated into the trap. You activate the valve periodically to drain the water accumulation. Cost is about $30.

An actual 'air drier' electronically dries the air - they cost a few grand...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What size compressor are you running ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had a service garage for 20 years I have always call the water trap a air dryer . But water traps as you say come in various sizes. Best to check with a auto body shop supplier or napa. They can set you up with something that will work for you .Its best to drain your compressor every night in humid weather. I would say anything over 60 % Humidity is a good safety .

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's a 60 gallon 19 cfm. Yeah I drain it daily and really keep a good eye on the water traps. I know hsd actually recommends an in-line air drier...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should use the drier. The HSD is not stainless inside, and uses no oil lubrication. Without the drier you will get both in there. My drier uses dessicant, it is a cheapy from Harbor freight (a pipe about 3 feet long with dessicant beads). I get no oil or water on the other side (I put in a couple of traps in case, but they remain dry and oil free.) I think HF switched to a refrigerated version, which I will probably go to when my last package of beads is gone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking at a refrigerant air dryer from Harbor Freight Its $ 399 dollars .Check it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys - I will put this on my list.