Shop saber owners - where are you?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop saber owners - where are you?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am a new owner of a 4896 ATC in Florida

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a new to me owner of a 2012 4816 Shop Sabre in Grants Pass, Oregon.
    I'm just setting up this machine for my business and I'm lovin it! The support at Shop Sabre are filling in all the blanks that come with a used machine. They are great!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shop saber owners - where are you?

I'm thinking of buying a Shop Sabre IS408 with a 4th axis indexer and digitizer for cabinet making. Can someone give me feedback on their experiences using 4th axis? Shop Sabre seems like a great company, but I would like to hear from actual customers. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Florida. We have a 4896. Anybody out there?

Registered
    Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Pat2015, I'm ten days out form delivery of a new IS408. I opted for the 4th axis port but not the actual tool. Would also be curious to know how other owners are using theirs. Looking forward to getting to know machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 4896 due late May or early June. I ordered the 4th axis and 8 position ATC ( 5 with 3 free promo ). I have a 5 hp spindle set up for single phase.
    I will be running out of a small garage space. Heading for the training on Tuesday, at least 14 hrs of driving. I have the T-slot table, but want a vacuum but pending research for a single phase set-up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad I found you guys! I've been itching to talk to some other ShopSabre owners

I've got the 4896 and have owned it for almost a year now. Located in central Michigan.

I had never seen a CNC in person until we got ours a year ago. I know a lot more now, but still have a lot to learn.

Looking forward to talking with all of you.

Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nick!

What software are you using with your machine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hypotenuse View Post
    I have a 4896 due late May or early June. I ordered the 4th axis and 8 position ATC ( 5 with 3 free promo ). I have a 5 hp spindle set up for single phase.
    I will be running out of a small garage space. Heading for the training on Tuesday, at least 14 hrs of driving. I have the T-slot table, but want a vacuum but pending research for a single phase set-up.
    How did the training go?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TampaVinyl View Post
    Hey Nick!

What software are you using with your machine?
    Hello there,

I'm using VCarve Pro7 with a WinCNC controller.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't learn much at the training session. They went over V-carve pro but I already have Aspire and quite capable with it. It was a 1350 km drive for me but me and my girls made a trip out of it. They enjoyed shopping at Mall of America while I was at the course.
    I have heard the same of the Camaster course, doesn't seem to benefit experienced users.
    My machine was due today ( 8-10 weeks ) but I don't think it's even in production yet. It was nice to see the manufacturing facilities and meet the crew all the same.
    I was asking about the Shop Sabre forum advertised on their website but got the feeling they are too busy to even think about that.
    While I have been waiting my favored supplier of dust collectors sold out of 3 and 5 hp units and only has a 2 hp Super Gorilla left. It does say suitable for use with one machine which I will be. Also uses less hydro .
    I might have to call Oneida to see what they think.

Last edited by Hypotenuse; 06-03-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Hypotenuse and Other Shop Sabre Owners,
    It looks like this is our Shop Sabre forum... It would be great if there were more activity here. I am a new owner of an IS408: 12hp spindle, 20 hp vac, 5 tool ATC (really wish the 8 tool special had been going when I bought), VCarve Pro 8, Cut3d. Don't have a lot of time on the machine yet but so far the Tech Support has been there every time I needed them. I would be happy to share/read any experiences, knowledge, anecdotes, etc. anyone has time post. Having said this, I really don't know how some guys get any work done as much time as they spend on the forums...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm still waiting will be 13 weeks Wednesday. They were delayed on servo drive amps from Mitsubishi I was told.. What are you using your machine for MK?

Downloads
    Uploads

We just ordered an IS 510 with 5 station toolchanger setup, hopefully it doesn't take 13+ weeks to get here... I currently have a small benchtop machine but am really looking forward to this one. I do alot of 4th axis work, building wooden vises, but we plan to expand the product line and will almost certainly get into building high end workbenches among other woodworking tools. Our company is Lake Erie Toolworks. Up until this January it was operated out of a basement but a rental company started sectioning off an old warehouse into industrial units and we jumped at the opportunity; 14'+ ceilings, 1100 sqft, 3 phase power, loading docks, communal forklift. I'll try to stay active in the forum and do some updates when it arrives.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, they went over the estimated delivery with us as well. But in all fairness I was out of town working when they wanted to deliver it the first time.
    I build yacht interiors. Basically cabinets, furniture, trim, etc. for boats. Mostly new builds. I design and model in Autodesk Inventor. So far I am pleased with how well the Vectric software deals with the Inventor .dwg files.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to let you know I have a shop in Hampton GA. Near the Atlanta Motor Speedway. I have had my 4896 machine for 3 years. I think I was the first one to order the 4th axis because it took a year after the delivery of the table before I received the rotary parts. I was not too pleased with the final product for the 4th axis. the support is pretty good with Ben. He has a lot of knowledge and his own machine. getting someone on the phone is almost non existent. they need more guys to help with the tech stuff. when the machine is down then production stops , so I learned to Google stuff while waiting for the return call, essentially they forced me to learn more than the average operator which was good for me because I have completed about 50% of the build on my new 4th axis machine. I believe I will get out the door for under 10k by DIY. the most costly will be the ATC when it is added later. it would be nice to have local owners that can help bounce ideas and problems they may have incurred off each other. let me know if you need help with anything.

Jay Smith
    770-871-1213

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was told my machine should hit the floor for testing and be ready to ship by the end of the week. I sure hope the 4th axis comes with it and I don't have to wait. I also hope it works half decent... : )
    I'm placing mine in my garage attached to the house. This should make unloading interesting. It seems switching from the transport to a tilting flatbed car hauler works well. I talked to a sign shop a couple of blocks away
    that have a forklift and boom trucks so we'll see how we end up getting it into the garage. I'll try to get pics and video.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mine was on skid. the semi truck hauled it long ways so we had to attach a strap to slide it off onto a dock. once it was off the truck I just added some extensions to the forks and picked it up from the side. I forgot to mention I added the plasma feature to my table which made it a bit heavier but a small 3500# lift had no problem with the entire skid. I have since made a platform on wheels. this allows me to move it with no problems anytime I want.

Hypotenuse did you get the router or the spindle?

I wanted the ATC but was maxed out when I added the plasma, engraver , and rotary axis features. I also got visual mill software. I later purchased the vacuum system from Shop Sabre and got a program to make my plenum board. I did my own holes and plumbing, and purchased an electronic ball valve to close the suction off and open from the computer. I can now turn on / off the vacuum pump, open / close the ball valve and turn on / off the dust collector all with a push button from my WINCNC screen or program it with my G-code to do these things automatically. I also added the touch pad to get z-zero since I change bits frequently.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info Jay. I got a 5 Hp ATC spindle. I'm on single phase so that's pretty much my max.
    Controlling the vacuum by WINCNC would be great, I guess one can set up their dust collector as well?
    I know what you mean about budget, plus I have to deal with the exchange rate which adds thousands to the final tab for us Canucks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
    mine was on skid. the semi truck hauled it long ways so we had to attach a strap to slide it off onto a dock. once it was off the truck I just added some extensions to the forks and picked it up from the side. I forgot to mention I added the plasma feature to my table which made it a bit heavier but a small 3500# lift had no problem with the entire skid. I have since made a platform on wheels. this allows me to move it with no problems anytime I want.

Hypotenuse did you get the router or the spindle?

I wanted the ATC but was maxed out when I added the plasma, engraver , and rotary axis features. I also got visual mill software. I later purchased the vacuum system from Shop Sabre and got a program to make my plenum board. I did my own holes and plumbing, and purchased an electronic ball valve to close the suction off and open from the computer. I can now turn on / off the vacuum pump, open / close the ball valve and turn on / off the dust collector all with a push button from my WINCNC screen or program it with my G-code to do these things automatically. I also added the touch pad to get z-zero since I change bits frequently.
    Awesome setup Jay. Like the electronic ball valve, etc. I had to use fork extensions to unload my machine as well. Basically a couple 2x12's... Worked but not real safe. Sat it four car wheel dollies to push it around the shop and used a floor jack to lift it off. Do you worry about leveling with a roller base?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast