Moring, Merry Christmas
Would someone please clarify the gear arrangement on a Shoptask 1720 Gold for me. The manual is not easy and I am confused. Thanks
I'm guessing that you bought the machine used, since it is at least 12 years old. I'll try to help you out-
In your picture you have Shaft 1 ( top left )
Shaft 2 ( top right)
Shaft 3 ( lower right)
Your gears are - Gear A top left ( on shaft 1 )
Gears B and C top right ( on shaft 2 ) Gear B is behind Gear C
Gear D lower right ( on shaft 3 )
1. In your gear set you have coarse and fine tooth gears. The fine tooth gears have the 4 spline center hole. These are the gears you change- you NEVER change the coarse tooth gears. The fine tooth gears will have a number stamped on them to indicate how many teeth they have. The number always faces front so you can see what ratio is installed.
2. There are 2 adjustments in the assembly. There is an allen bolt that you loosen which allows the bracket holding the B and C gears to swing in an arc and set the mesh between Gears A and B. The shaft # 2 ( with the square end) can be loosend with your toolpost T handle and it slides up and down in a slot to set the mesh between Gears C and D.
1. Select the gear set you want to use.
2. Put Gear A on shaft 1
3. Put Gear B on shaft 2
4. Put Gear D on shaft 3
5. Put Gear C on shaft 2
6. Mesh Gears C and D by sliding shaft 2 up or down and then tighten it.
7. Mesh gears A and B by swinging the bracket in an arc and tightening the allen bolt.
Remember this rule- A meshes with B and C meshes with D
Be sure you have a little lash in the gears- DO NOT mesh them super tight.
It would be a good idea to clean the assembly and lube all the shafts and gears with a light moly grease.
May sound a little complicated, but after a few times its second nature.