New to metalwork in general, and Shoptask specifically.

Thread: New to metalwork in general, and Shoptask specifically.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to metalwork in general, and Shoptask specifically.

First thanks for your time. I looked through the forum here, and you all seem very nice. My Google-fu is not strong enough to find a lot of resources for this piece of equipment. You seem to be the only active place talking about it on the web.

I just came to own a '94 Shoptask 17-20 XMTC. The price was right, and mostly I just want something to play around with. I'm finishing putting it back together because we had to take it apart to move it. (I'm more set up to deal with dead tree carcasses than metal.) Hello, learning curve.

It turns out that somewhere in that move, a couple of bits have come up missing. I'm hoping I can either find a source, or measurements so I can make new ones. I have a machine, I can do that now, can't I? Co-worker I bought it from says there are a few bits and pieces he still has for it, and he's bringing those in for me this week. He swears he brought the parts I think I'm missing.

The missing bits are centered around the "Control Board." I believe this is for the auto threader? I have the manual, and these parts are on pg 48, Fig 5; Left Trestle-Change

• Control Board #22 - Looks like it's just a steel plate? If I had measurements I should be able to make this easily.
    • Shaft #20 - Little trickier? It's just bolt with a shoulder, isn't it?
    • Gear #21 - Not sure I can do this, but I'm hoping it's some type of standard?
    • Tooth Belt #14 - Seems like it's a standard with the Part No describing it.

Again, thanks for taking the time. I appreciate any assistance you can give about the machine. I've been watching videos for weeks about using a lathe and a mill. I like to think I'm "YouTube certified." Looking forward to actually being able to do something with this thing besides keeping the bench from blowing away.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to metalwork in general, and Shoptask specifically.

On those older machines there was a steel plate that swiveled on a pin to engage the power feed/ threading gears. There were 2 gears and shafts in the set, and by using 1 gear in one hole the lead screw ran in forward and by putting the 2 gears in 2 other holes it ran in reverse. I think the tooth belt was the belt for the CNC drive option. Check with JT over at Shopmaster- they still keep parts for the old machines in stock.

Downloads
    Uploads

You know, I never even considered emailing Shopmaster for parts. I figured there was no way they'd have anything about a product from 20+ years ago, made under a different name. I'll give it a go. You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and I didn't even suit up for that one.

I know the previous owner had some of the stuff to setup the CNC option, so that would make sense. I'll go take a look, at what I have. Next time I do this, I'll ask the seller to take pictures of the thing before they take it apart.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is probably well known here already, but their customer service is incredible!

I sent an email from the website not 20 minutes ago. (8:50 PM Eastern, on a Sunday.) I just got a very nice email back saying that they do still have parts, and I can just send a list and a picture, so they can make sure I get everything.

On a Sunday evening! I would have been ecstatic if they responded Monday morning. Just, Wow!