2014 anybody else having quill problems?

Thread: 2014 anybody else having quill problems?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2014 anybody else having quill problems?

I think I received 1 of the last of the 2014 machines It looked like it was put together with the left over parts laying around the plant in china. Paid JT 12/23/14 received it 1/5/15. Nothing but problems with the mill. the quill pushes back and left .015 every time. Even trying to center drill in aluminum!!!! JT has been no help!! The quill bore is .002 out of round then it makes quill to the bore .004 on smallest ID of the bore to .006 to the biggest ID of the bore. I quote JT " I don't think the dimensions you show are the cause of your issues" Why else would the quill move? Any help would be great guys. Maybe we can get together and get a law suit together and get our money back. He is not responding to my emails anymore and denied my claim on PayPal. Here are some links on you tube of the movement in the quill.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2014 anybody else having quill problems?

In your first video, it looks like your part is not perpendicular to the center drill. If it is not, then the center drill will force the quill off to one side . As far as the rest is concerned, this forum is for exchanging info and technical help, no one can help you with your dispute.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

It might be the camera angle. When it pulls up will moves right and when theres a load it moves back and left.

Downloads
    Uploads

A few things to check-
    1. Be sure your quill bracket is tight and that it is not bent- if the attachment arm is bent up or down, then when you tighten the ball screw it will pull it off at an angle. JT supplied us with some stiffener kits to put on our units and it really improved the accuracy on the Z axis.
    2. Check the set screw that rides in the groove which prevents the quill from rotating- the dog point should fit the groove exactly.
    3. Check that your ball screw is parallel with the quill side to side and front to back- if not you may need to shim the housing that holds the ball screw assembly.
    4. Be sure the quill is fully retracted before you tighten the ball screw nut.
    5. Do your setup so that you have the minimum amount of the quill outside the casting. Cutting with the quill fully extended will greatly exaggerate any errors.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

1. Quill bracket has been replaced by JT already along with the ball screw and support arm which was cracked. The ball screw was missing balls. Everything he sent back to me was used. He sent me the stiffener plates I didn't even bother putting them on. I made a new support arm 1" thick out of 4140. I haven't put it on yet. I will after I tear this apart and put it on then.
    2. The set screw was .010 small. Now it is exact. I removed .005 of play when I did this.
    3. The ball screw has a .010 run out when moving this was happening when I received the NEW machine and with the replacement ball screw JT sent me.
    4. Did this 100 times.
    5. In some cases this is impossible to do. Center drill a hole with a 2" length center drill then drill with a 3/8 drill which is 5" long. You have better luck with the quill than moving the bridge.
    Since he's not responding to my emails here's what I'm going to do.
    Hone the bore back to round and straight and make a new quill.
    OR
    Bore the bore and sleeve it then hone it to .0003 bigger than quill and use the old quill.
    What do you think would be the best way to fix it.

Downloads
    Uploads

From your forum name, it sounds like the boring and honing would be right up your alley if you are 100 % sure its not an alignment issue. Contrary to what you said in your first post, it sounds like JT has been trying to help you right along. Naturally, once you file a claim with PayPal, he is going to stop corresponding and let them proceed. If Pay Pal agrees with you, they will probably tell you to ship the unit back and when you show proof of delivery they will give you your money back, so you may want to wait on all that boring and honing until they give you a decision.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I filed a claim after JT didn't respond to my email after 5 days. After I filed the claim I got his attention in 45 minutes but by paypal and not by email to me. I gave him 4 options before I filed the claim too straighten this mess of a machine out.
    1. Exchange this machine for an another new machine. (you pay for return shipping and shipping the new machine since I already paid for it once)
    2. Exchange this machine for your new machine (less the CNC which I already have) (you pay for return shipping and shipping the new machine since I already paid for it once)
    3. I will tear off the bridge and return it to you and request half of my money back. So I can buy another mill. (You pay for return shipping)
    4. Return the machine completely (you pay for return shipping) and get a full refund ($4003.00) and you will never hear from me again.
    JT responded back "I do not respond well to ultimatums. I'll just pass off some of your comments to the " hit my thumb with a hammer " syndrome."
    So to me that's just a big F You your stuck with it now.

I am waiting a few days before I contact my lawyer. It has a 3 year warranty and I'm sure I have certain rights in my state.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well. I can certainly see why JT wrote what he did. I would not take kindly to someone dictating terms like you did. You could have moderated your language by adding some things like-" How about we do this" or
    " Lets compromise and--". However, now you will just have to wait to see what Pay Pal says. I wouldn't go spending money on a lawyer until they make a decision.
    BTW- I copied this off the Shopmaster website- I'm sure you must have read this before ordering your machine.
    WARRANTY
    SHOPMASTER machines are warranted for THREE full years against defects in materials and workmanship. During that time, SHOPMASTER will replace free of charge any defective parts that are returned freight prepaid to our warehouse. Upon receipt of the defective parts, SHOPMASTER will send replacement parts from our warehouse or our manufacturing facility by the most economical means of transportation. In cases of urgency, at our discretion, we may send parts prior to receiving the old parts, but failure to return the old parts to us within 30 days will permanently void the warranty and return policy. Claims for missing or damaged items must be made within 15 days of receipt of your machine, any claim past the 15 days will not be considered. This warranty does not cover parts that are worn out through the course of normal operation or are damaged through negligence on the part of the operator. This warranty does not cover incidental or consequential damages resulting from defects in material and workmanship.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why should a buyer pay for returning a defective machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

If the buyer does not like the terms of the warranty, then he should buy something else. If he purchases anyway, then he has entered into a contract to abide by the terms of the warranty. Go to any of the tool companies on this forum and read their warranties and you will find that it is pretty much standard form.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by precisionhone View Post
    What do you think would be the best way to fix it.
    I'd be inclined to sell it and buy something else unless I enjoyed fiddling with things.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been following this thread on another forum-
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/charte...nual-mill.html

If you are gonna buy Chinese machines you better be prepared to fix all those little issues yourself. Otherwise find another hobby.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, if it's just the quill loose in the bore due to bad boring or fitting, I'd get the bore honed out, and have the quill hard chromed and re-ground to the proper size.....that makes that section a Rolls Royce....whatever ....quality item.

If the quill won't firm up with the lock on, it's no good for milling.

The rest of the mill may have to be treated item by item........cheaper than losing money selling it at a loss........doing it up means you do get a machine you can rely on eventually.

Pretend you bought it from someone who also got stung and you can fix it.

Pissing off a vendor is the shortest way to get the cone of silence to fall.....LOL......always when in a dispute be extra friendly and courteous, even to the point of extreme obsequiousness......he'll be flattered to think that you are a good guy..... potential further customer and probably will bend over backwards to secure further business from you and your palls by feedback referrals......it's a seller's market.
    Ian.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

SHOPMASTER machines are warranted for THREE full years against defects in materials and workmanship. I have attached the shopmaster specs. My mill bore is out of round .002 and is .004 to .006 larger than the quill causing the quill to walk .010 to .015 when a load is applied. I am wrong for being pissed off? That's why I bought NEW and NOT used so I would have somebody else's headache!!!!!!!!! Almost 4 months and not a $1 made yet off this machine. No response from JT in almost 2 weeks. 2014 anybody else having quill problems?-shee-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, usually the out of round "function", "feature".......... call it what you may, is to ensure the quill bore opens up to allow the quill to slide freely when the lock is off.

Depending on the method for quill locking, it can be a split in the side of the bore that gets clamped together with a clamp screw and so compresses the bore diam slightly to grip the quill etc.....or it can be a cross bolt with a rounded cut out that draws against the quill when you tighten it.

My previous mill was a Bridgeport and you could get a slight discernible sideways movement to the quill if the lock was off.

I always milled with the quill up and the lock full on......for drilling I always nipped the quill lock up slightly just to take any shake out.

It is virtually impossible to precisely hone a bore to make a corresponding part slide freely.......if the fit is too close it will seize on the metal and you'll never get it out even with a sledgehammer.

Your best bet is to swallow your expectations of a precision machine, do the work I suggested and live with the results.......it may take a week to complete by a commercial,business, but at least it'll be top notch.

Well, I just read the last post again.....try some thick oil.....,002" is nothing to worry about with the quill unlocked, but almost .006" bigger is a bit much to tolerate.

Perhaps if you mapped the bore diam at 1 inch intervals for it's length, you could suggest to JT, whoever....that if he could supply a quill slightly bigger you'd fit it ....if you can do that work.

It's easier to fit a shaft to a hole than a hole to a shaft.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by precisionhone View Post
    SHOPMASTER machines are warranted for THREE full years against defects in materials and workmanship. 2014 anybody else having quill problems?-shee-jpg
    Did you send the parts back so they could measure and replace them?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

No JT stop responding to my emails and did answer the phone when I called. The bridge is heavy I say about 100 pounds. Its going to cost a pretty penny to send from the east coast to the west coast. I am not paying for that. I paid the shipping to me and extra so I didn't have to pick up at a terminal to get a BRAND NEW machine to me. I refuse to pay to send back poor quality work. He should pay for there and back to me if he wants the bad one back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, they can't fix it if you won't send it back, so looks like you are out of luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, it would probably be cheaper to fly to the other side and carry this item as luggage in the cargo bay.

If flying is too expensive, what about a train trip.....don't know your locale so can only hypothesise.

Then you can do a face to face and show the guy what you have for the money, warranty etc.....if he gives you an exchange item you are win win, as you'd have had to bring the original part back anyway if the face to face failed to produce.

Know any truckies going that way that could help you out?
    Ian.