Need Help! My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? & Tach RPM setup Q?

Thread: My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? & Tach RPM setup Q?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? & Tach RPM setup Q?

Hi everyone, Very happy to find this group! I recently came across a used Shopmaster 2010 Patriot. CNC installed, DRO, Ball Screws (welded setup). Belt drive, VFD (1.5 hp I think) and a 4th Axis H/V capable rotary chuck setup (not connected yet) . I could really use some info if anyone could assist I would be very greatful.

I was about to buy a new unit when "one of those DeJaVu things happend" Really was as if someone wanted me to have this very one! So I did. Everything seems to work fine. Mach3 is V3.042. I am missing a current Manual for the machine. If anyone has one scanned for the "Eldorado" / CNC Patriot belt driven series it would be greatly appreciated. If there is a Shopmaster CNC manual componant - That too would be very Welcome. The one I have is Red and is for a gear based machine?? Part diagrams are not right at all.

I also see that the Lathe belt wheel under the side cover has a IR Emitter/Detector that will reflect off a 1" reflective tape setup. this goes into a small box and then into the CNC controller to a wire block. I cannot see where or how this is picked up by Mach3 or some other setup? Maybe this is simply setup to connect an external tach? I did find some Tach units ( for example: tachoptions ) .

there are Limit switches installed on X,Y,Z but they do not seem to do anything w/ Mach3 at this time. I do have these w/ Mach3 on my Plasma so I think I can find and set these up, but anyone w/ input or tips and suggestions is very welcome.

I really do not know how to adjust, clean or setup the Way's & Gibs but will be taking YouTube by storm to find some "how to vids" should I wait and get into some test & sample cuts in the next week or two before taking the Table down? Any input you have is also greatly welcome. It seems I try it and check into the precision and accuracy before I elect to go thru this system on the Mil?

Exciting times! I am extremely happy that I have this unit. I'm going thru the unit getting to know it. I understand it has been sitting for some time. I'm new to Milling , but own/run a CNC Plasma setup. So I'm taking the leap from 2D to 3D.

thanks everyone and have a great week!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? & Tach RPM setup Q?

Congrats on your purchase- try to post a few pictures of the unit and the tach setup- sounds like the earlier optical system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pics included - : My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? & Tach RPM setup Q?

Good day everyone - I've now included a few Pics to show! Always fun to share a new Toy! I've pretty much figured out the Tach setup. I can go about it a few ways. In the end there is a Mach3 w/ wired Geko setup (which mine seems to use). it is a emitter/Rcvr and I could wire one up top on the spindle I would think. Then just wire in a flip-switch. Lathe or Mill? Anyway- I like this option the best: tachoptions How can you go wrong for $70! (less enclosure). There is also this $55 setup w/ a USB and .DLL setup to push to Mach3. via his .set file. vistaCNC This one uses a proximity tester. I like the LED unit. If you wish to see how this is wired into a G540 there is a nice diagram below w/ my other Pics. This was found on this site.... cannot locate the ref link just now.

This machine was modified by the prior owner. Noted a "head nod" term and the use of a new brace piece and a slab of 3/8 steel for the bridge/gantry (what do you call it?) across the top rear.
    I am also finding out just how $$$$$$ the CAM software is! WOW! And if you say 4th Axis - Cha-Ching! My Son and I are about to order MeshCAM and the simulator. I do wish to try this open source free Sim tool first. called OpenSCAM OpenSCAM (really? Needs a better name! ;-)

I can probably call the Mfr. and get a manual, but if there is a PDF floating around out there for the belt drive style or the Alignments and Mach3/CNC setups- That is where I'm heading next.

Any Hack-a-day people out there? I see so many pages w/ the Grizzly 0704 hacks galore! And all for a nice albeit low end Mill. I would think this unit should have penty of home brew and mod's from the user base? I would love to hear about them and maybe see a few!

Hope ya'll have a great day! CG.

My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? &  Tach RPM setup Q?-img_0225-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? &  Tach RPM setup Q?-img_0227-jpg   My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? &  Tach RPM setup Q?-img_0228-jpg   My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? &  Tach RPM setup Q?-tachsensor_wiring-jpg  
    Last edited by countryguy; 04-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pics included - : My new 2010 Patriot -Manuals ? & Tach RPM setup Q?

Yes, that's an early model machine prior to the built in CNC control box. If you want the tach function on both lathe and mill, and you can find a second sensor, just wire it to the lathe-mill relay. The relay has 4 poles, but only uses 3 for the 3 phase motors. You can use the 4th pole for your inputs from the sensors and when switching from lathe to mill from the front panel it will also switch the sensors. If you go into the Mach 3 CONFIG>PORTS & PINS>INPUT and scroll down to INDEX, you can set the index port to 1 and the pin to 10 and then Mach 3 will read the RPM on screen ( after doing the SPINDLE SETUP ).