Another Tailstock Question

Thread: Another Tailstock Question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another Tailstock Question

I have a 1999 1720 XNTC Gold that is not CNCed. I remembered that there used to be a conversion to bolt the tail stock to the table to be able to use the power feed to move the tail stock. I think it was some sort of shoulder bolt. Anybody know what size bolt was used? Pictures?
    Thanks
    Rick

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The bolt has a 5/16" shaft and thread. It is long enough to pass through the tailstock base and stick out 1 1/2". The part that sticks out the front is 9/16" diameter, 1 1/8" long with a 3/8" length of 5/16" thread cut on the end. The back end has a large (1 1/8") hex knob held on by a set screw.

You remove the knob and install the bolt through the tail stock, then relock the knob. It remains in the tailstock. The 1 1/8" long portion is a spacer to hold the tailstock back far enough so the cross feed lock lever can be operated.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Contact JT at shoptask- when we needed a replacement he had them in stock.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information. I spent some time looking at the tail stock and I was thinking of ordering a 4” long 5/16 shoulder bolt with a ¼ x 20 threaded end. I was just going to make a spacer out of some ¾ aluminum round stock to get the clearance to allow for the table lock. I would drill and tap the cross slide for the ¼ x 20 thread. Thread it in when I need it and remove the pieces when I don’t.

Thanks Again

Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
    The bolt has a 5/16" shaft and thread. It is long enough to pass through the tailstock base and stick out 1 1/2". The part that sticks out the front is 9/16" diameter, 1 1/8" long with a 3/8" length of 5/16" thread cut on the end. The back end has a large (1 1/8") hex knob held on by a set screw.

You remove the knob and install the bolt through the tail stock, then relock the knob. It remains in the tailstock. The 1 1/8" long portion is a spacer to hold the tailstock back far enough so the cross feed lock lever can be operated.

Dennis
    The bolt I got is what diemakers use for stripper plates, called a, "stripper bolt" :

stripper bolt - Google Search

The 1st 2 rows show these.

I see they also call it a shoulder bolt, but I don't.

Whoever dreamed this idea up---good job!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rickmantoo View Post
    Thanks for the information. I spent some time looking at the tail stock and I was thinking of ordering a 4” long 5/16 shoulder bolt with a ¼ x 20 threaded end. I was just going to make a spacer out of some ¾ aluminum round stock to get the clearance to allow for the table lock. I would drill and tap the cross slide for the ¼ x 20 thread. Thread it in when I need it and remove the pieces when I don’t.

Thanks Again

Rick
    Yep, the same idea as yours.

By now you have probably made yours.

I modified the instructions that came with mine and ran just the tap drill thru the tailstock base into the bottom of the cross-slide for the threaded insert. Then I opened it up for the stripper bolt's ground diameter, I actually reamed it in close.