Please help to identify this thing.

Thread: Please help to identify this thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please help to identify this thing.

This is on the motor for the lathe spindle on Shoptask 1720XMTC...
    Trying to figure out what it does....
    The brass knob on the front can be pulled out, rotated 90-deg and set into a shallow slot.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help to identify this thing.-thing1-jpg   Please help to identify this thing.-thing2-jpg   Please help to identify this thing.-thing3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it is for you to put a stopper bar.. which helps in determining the length of cut or machining...
    Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads

i think it's back gears ,see if the spindle runs slower with the brass knob out at 90deg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think holbieone is probably right- its probably a planetary speed reducer. It could also be a centrifugal clutch or just a heavy flywheel. Would be interesting to see what's inside and who made it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Fly wheel

It looks for me like a heavy weight for balance or fly wheel which can be activated and de-activated by this brass knob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum68 View Post
    This is on the motor for the lathe spindle on Shoptask 1720XMTC...
    Trying to figure out what it does....
    The brass knob on the front can be pulled out, rotated 90-deg and set into a shallow slot.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    It looks to me to be a "Pull-Gear Speed Reducer" made by DarJay Industries, Inc. located at the time, in Evans, Georgia.

I was looking to get one of these but they were no longer manufactured by the time I learned about them. These things can also be mounted on a drill press, band saw, and other various applications.

The "Projects In Metal" magazine by Village Press, that also publishes the "Live Steam" magazine had an article by Donovan Browne in their June 1998, Volume 11, Number 3 issue. Title of the article is, "The Multi-Purpose Machine".

Once upon a time in a galaxy far away, Shoptask's early machine was a far cry from what they have today or even the 17-20 machine of the 1990's, it was mid-1980s era. It ran very fast and the slowest speed possible was 500 rpm for the lathe spindle. The DarJay Speed Reducer had a 7:1 planetary transmission built into the core of a three-step pulley. Donovan rigged it up as a back gear to get reduced speeds of 225, 125 and 70 rpm, like what is found on South Bend Lathes and other older lathes. His 3-in-1, then, cost $800. If you write Village Press in Traverse City, Michigan and tell them your intent, they may put you in touch with Donovan. He is Canadian near Quebec, if he is still kicking. I did get a Christmas e-mail from him last winter.

You should consider yourself very lucky to have that speed reducer. I am surprised JT did not try to get the guy to sell the rights to him to acquire it.

My solution to slow speeds was the pulley add-on setup JT sold to reduce speed to 80 rpm. It was also a three-step pulley, but only the one sheave is utilized. That and a hand powered lathe spindle crank I made for threading single point.

I did some leg work and found both guys. Last time I contacted DarJay was December 1998. The guy was thinking of starting back up, but I don't think he did. Some retired guys, find ways to have a little business on the side to bring in some money. He sold them for around $200 USA in 1992.

It took me a lot of research to find where and who DarJay was. All I had to use was Google and some business reference books to my local library.

Google Images and/or eBay may get you some reference materials.

Similar to this:

http://www.hellotrade.com/jiangmen-h.../product1.html

out of this listing:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Pull-...w=1600&bih=713

for fun:

http://www.mitsuimiike.co.jp/english...ion/index.html

Last edited by Tapered_Gib; 06-23-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It was a good solution for the issues of the 80's and 90's, but the cost to manufacture the thing, even in quantities, would probably have doomed the project. Unfortunately technology has passed it by, as you can now get the same low speeds plus a host of other functions with the use of the VFD drives.