Coolant foaming problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant foaming problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Coolant foaming problem

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you have had a coolant foaming problem. My 2412 seems to constantly overflow in foam.

I use a product from MSC called Prime Cut and at the suggested dilution ratio.

Any ideas would be most helpful!

Thanks
    Larry

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll tell you my tale of woe about coolant foaming.
    I have three machines that have high pressure pumps. My Sharp is one of them. I used Valcool 800 and it foamed. I used Hangsterfers S500cf and it foamed like the dickens. I put in all the antifoam crap and that cured the problem for a day.
    Clogged all the filters with the stuff. I called the Hangsterfers rep and he sent me 10 gal of NeoSol 300 for free. That cured the problem.
    I spent a lot of time checking PH and hardness of water. Sent in samples to the lab....
    Changes to Neosol and the issue went away

Downloads
    Uploads

Default foaming

I dont have a coolant system myself but may add some light with some general knowlenge.

One cause for foam or bubbleing is the introduction of air to a liquid.

Is it possible your system is taking in air somehow?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You will find that alot of brands will foam more then others. We use Blazer in all of our machines and never have a problem. As long as you keep the right dilution its great. We usually try and replace it every 6 months because of the oil, but other then that its a good brand coolant.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a coolant called liquid ice in mine and as long as I keep the oil in the sump down under a gallon, it is not bad about foaming. I finally ordered a skimmer so I think it will make easier easier.

Downloads
    Uploads

We've been on Oemeta Novamet and had no issues at all.

"It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I run two Sharp minis without chip conveyors. I have been using Hangsterfers S500 for about a year now. It foams, but doesn't overflow unless I get lazy. Here's some things I have picked up on:

If the tank level gets too low the pump will thrash the coolant and essentially "spray foam". This is very simple, and many times the cause for excessive foam.

Obviously, if the chip tray gets too full and coolant is foamy it will overflow the basket. My machines used to overflow all day long, until I got a new operator who actually checks and empties the chip trays. They never overflow nowadays.

I find that the chips created by serrated roughing bits tend to clog the tray. With this in mind, empty the tray sooner.

If I don't need a full blast of coolant I throttle it back. For example I run my coolant at about 1/2 the pressure (the valve at the nozzles) when I am cutting steel with TIALN coated carbide bits.

Let your chips dam up the two downhill runs into the chip tray. Add a damn there if needed. If your coolant is foaming, "filtering" it through chips before it hits the chip tray is very helpful to reduce foam. Chips pop air bubbles.

I run my S500 at 5%-10% concentration. It foams alot when fresh. I deal with it though... it lasts me 3-4 months longer than anything else I have ever used (before it rots like a dead body)

Evan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by M0NKEY2TO2 View Post
    You will find that alot of brands will foam more then others. We use Blazer in all of our machines and never have a problem. As long as you keep the right dilution its great. We usually try and replace it every 6 months because of the oil, but other then that its a good brand coolant.
    We can get the Blaser to foam if your tank is low and pumping both air and liquid. Also not good for the pump! I don't blame the Blaser for this...

Downloads
    Uploads

We had our coolant rep in a couple of weeks ago because we had foaming problems, he went over to the machine looked at it a couple of minutes, he then grabbed a pail of our vactra #2 and dumped it in, I about crapped my pants at this!! he said the anti foamers on the market are just oil anyways. The foaming stopped after a couple of hours and we have not had that problem since!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation foam

The Hangsterfer's coolants are just not that good and they keep raising the prices !! The s-500 is loaded with phenols and that will cause big problems with waste treatment and cause the seals to swell

Quote Originally Posted by 2kjettaguy View Post
    I run two Sharp minis without chip conveyors. I have been using Hangsterfers S500 for about a year now. It foams, but doesn't overflow unless I get lazy. Here's some things I have picked up on:

If the tank level gets too low the pump will thrash the coolant and essentially "spray foam". This is very simple, and many times the cause for excessive foam.

Obviously, if the chip tray gets too full and coolant is foamy it will overflow the basket. My machines used to overflow all day long, until I got a new operator who actually checks and empties the chip trays. They never overflow nowadays.

I find that the chips created by serrated roughing bits tend to clog the tray. With this in mind, empty the tray sooner.

If I don't need a full blast of coolant I throttle it back. For example I run my coolant at about 1/2 the pressure (the valve at the nozzles) when I am cutting steel with TIALN coated carbide bits.

Let your chips dam up the two downhill runs into the chip tray. Add a damn there if needed. If your coolant is foaming, "filtering" it through chips before it hits the chip tray is very helpful to reduce foam. Chips pop air bubbles.

I run my S500 at 5%-10% concentration. It foams alot when fresh. I deal with it though... it lasts me 3-4 months longer than anything else I have ever used (before it rots like a dead body)

Evan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uh......
    So what would you recomend?
    Interesting screen name...
    Are you a salesman?
    Not very helpfull to knock something with no evidence. Care to quote a couple of sources for "Loaded with phenols" And Wreck havoc with our waste treatment plants?
    I use Hangsterfers Neosol 300 and have not had any issues with cutting anything nor have I heard anything about environmental issues with ANY of Hangsterfers products.
    You just piqued my interest with your blanket statement.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coolant400 View Post
    The Hangsterfer's coolants are just not that good and they keep raising the prices !! The s-500 is loaded with phenols and that will cause big problems with waste treatment and cause the seals to swell
    What is a phenol?

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Before I'd try to 'cure' foaming with (tramp) oil, I'd think a water test is in order. Perhaps it is possible that water can be too soft? Question: how do you make water hard artificially, not that you'd want to go to the other extreme. Somehow you would have to get a bit of calcium in the water.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

We've been using Oemeta Novamet AL900 with great success for about 6 months, no stink, no foam, and excellent surface finishes, and it washes off parts extremely easy as well. What more can you ask for. Oh Yah no rusting in the machine either!!!!!!

http://87.139.116.80/en/Products/index.html Here's a link to their coolant site.

"It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a blaser rep in about a month ago. He basically said the same thing Hu said. If the water is too hard the coolant will split, if you use reverse osmosis or use deionized water it has no minerals and the water will be too soft and the coolant will foam up like crazy. So it could be the water is too soft. The rep also said they have an additive for water that's too soft to control the foaming.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    .... Somehow you would have to get a bit of calcium in the water.
    It might sound a bit silly but...give it a Calcium supplement; the pills or liquid you buy at the drugstore for old folks who don't want to suffer from osteoporosis.

I have no idea if it would work.

But I am also confused: both Big Mak and myself are in an area where the water is very soft. I use Shell Dromus and he uses something different and we do not have foaming problems. I sometimes think there is a lot of black magic in keeping your coolant happy.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use rain-water myself and don't have problems with excessive foaming, but am using Hocut 795.

If the water is artificially softened, it could be a different ballgame. I used to visit my in-laws who had very hard water, artificially softened, and just a wee dab of soap took a lot of rinsing to get rid of the suds and slime.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NeoSol 300

Sorry i was refering to the S-500 concerning the phenols i don't know about the neosol 300 we never used it , how is it working ?

our plant had problems with the s-500 in the past due to the phenols we switched to Monroe Astro Cut and we can waste treat it without a problem.

Not a sales person just a HSE for an gear maker

let me know how that new coolant is

have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Uh......
    So what would you recomend?
    Interesting screen name...
    Are you a salesman?
    Not very helpfull to knock something with no evidence. Care to quote a couple of sources for "Loaded with phenols" And Wreck havoc with our waste treatment plants?
    I use Hangsterfers Neosol 300 and have not had any issues with cutting anything nor have I heard anything about environmental issues with ANY of Hangsterfers products.
    You just piqued my interest with your blanket statement.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coolant400 View Post
    That's actually quite untrue. At my previous job, we sold BOTH Blaser Swisslube and Hangsterfer's coolant, and one of our biggest clients had extensive INDEPENDANT testing done on the coolant before it was even approved for their use. There are absolutely NO PHENOLS in the Hangsterfer's S500 coolant. I don't know what prices are seen in the U.S. , but they are very competitive with Blaser here in Canada.

K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph:(514) 333-5606, Fax:(514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    What is a phenol?
    "Phenol, also known under an older name of carbolic acid, is a toxic, colourless crystalline solid with a sweet tarry odor. Its chemical formula is C6H5OH and its structure is that of a hydroxyl group (-OH) bonded to a phenyl ring; it is thus an aromatic compound."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol

K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph:(514) 333-5606, Fax:(514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast