Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant foaming problem

Before I'd try to 'cure' foaming with (tramp) oil, I'd think a water test is in order. Perhaps it is possible that water can be too soft? Question: how do you make water hard artificially, not that you'd want to go to the other extreme. Somehow you would have to get a bit of calcium in the water.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We've been using Oemeta Novamet AL900 with great success for about 6 months, no stink, no foam, and excellent surface finishes, and it washes off parts extremely easy as well. What more can you ask for. Oh Yah no rusting in the machine either!!!!!!

http://87.139.116.80/en/Products/index.html Here's a link to their coolant site.

"It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a blaser rep in about a month ago. He basically said the same thing Hu said. If the water is too hard the coolant will split, if you use reverse osmosis or use deionized water it has no minerals and the water will be too soft and the coolant will foam up like crazy. So it could be the water is too soft. The rep also said they have an additive for water that's too soft to control the foaming.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    .... Somehow you would have to get a bit of calcium in the water.
    It might sound a bit silly but...give it a Calcium supplement; the pills or liquid you buy at the drugstore for old folks who don't want to suffer from osteoporosis.

I have no idea if it would work.

But I am also confused: both Big Mak and myself are in an area where the water is very soft. I use Shell Dromus and he uses something different and we do not have foaming problems. I sometimes think there is a lot of black magic in keeping your coolant happy.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I use rain-water myself and don't have problems with excessive foaming, but am using Hocut 795.

If the water is artificially softened, it could be a different ballgame. I used to visit my in-laws who had very hard water, artificially softened, and just a wee dab of soap took a lot of rinsing to get rid of the suds and slime.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Default NeoSol 300

Sorry i was refering to the S-500 concerning the phenols i don't know about the neosol 300 we never used it , how is it working ?

our plant had problems with the s-500 in the past due to the phenols we switched to Monroe Astro Cut and we can waste treat it without a problem.

Not a sales person just a HSE for an gear maker

let me know how that new coolant is

have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Uh......
    So what would you recomend?
    Interesting screen name...
    Are you a salesman?
    Not very helpfull to knock something with no evidence. Care to quote a couple of sources for "Loaded with phenols" And Wreck havoc with our waste treatment plants?
    I use Hangsterfers Neosol 300 and have not had any issues with cutting anything nor have I heard anything about environmental issues with ANY of Hangsterfers products.
    You just piqued my interest with your blanket statement.....

Quote Originally Posted by coolant400 View Post
    The Hangsterfer's coolants are just not that good and they keep raising the prices !! The s-500 is loaded with phenols and that will cause big problems with waste treatment and cause the seals to swell
    That's actually quite untrue. At my previous job, we sold BOTH Blaser Swisslube and Hangsterfer's coolant, and one of our biggest clients had extensive INDEPENDANT testing done on the coolant before it was even approved for their use. There are absolutely NO PHENOLS in the Hangsterfer's S500 coolant. I don't know what prices are seen in the U.S. , but they are very competitive with Blaser here in Canada.

K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph:(514) 333-5606, Fax:(514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    What is a phenol?
    "Phenol, also known under an older name of carbolic acid, is a toxic, colourless crystalline solid with a sweet tarry odor. Its chemical formula is C6H5OH and its structure is that of a hydroxyl group (-OH) bonded to a phenyl ring; it is thus an aromatic compound."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Before I'd try to 'cure' foaming with (tramp) oil, I'd think a water test is in order. Perhaps it is possible that water can be too soft? Question: how do you make water hard artificially, not that you'd want to go to the other extreme. Somehow you would have to get a bit of calcium in the water.
    As far as Blaser is concerned, they use Calcium Acetate (powder form) as an anti-foam agent. One con against this type of foam control is that the powder does not always dissolve properly in the coolant and it tends to cake the coolant sump pumps/holding tanks, and over time, will harden like cement. Hangsterfer's has another approach as far as controlling foam, as do other producers, such as Cincinnati and Master Chemical, to name just a couple.

Last edited by K&Y; 01-23-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I was using S500, I had foaming issues and was told to add calcium carbonate (I think that's what it was. ) an anti foaming agent put out by Hangsterfers. Worked for about a day and we were back to mopping the floor...
    Went to Neo Sol 300 at the Hangsterfers rep's recomendation and have been happy since. We cut a lot of stainless and this works well.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    When I was using S500, I had foaming issues and was told to add calcium carbonate (I think that's what it was. ) an anti foaming agent put out by Hangsterfers. Worked for about a day and we were back to mopping the floor...
    Went to Neo Sol 300 at the Hangsterfers rep's recomendation and have been happy since. We cut a lot of stainless and this works well.
    I don't think that was it. Hangsterfer's has their own Anti-Foam agent out, and the last time I checked, it's known as "Tankside AntiFoam". It's not cheap, but usually, it only takes a capful diluted into some fresh coolant emulsion, which is then added to the tank. You must make sure that it is mixed thoroughly prior to adding it to the tank. You should see results almost immediately. That being said, I do not remember if the "Tankside AntiFoam" was compatable with Hangsterfer's new Neosol line of products. A quick call to their head office will get you that answer however.

I had the same problem in my haas tm-3p, I threw about a cup of cleaning fluid into the coolant and have had no problems since

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12