Reliance BRU-200 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliance BRU-200

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, not open source, this was an actual production line released by Strippit in the early to mid 90's. Some had Fanuc controls, some PC controls and some Apple controls.

As for the power, it goes into the machine 3phase 220 to the main transformer inside the machine. From there you can take off different voltages from 300VAC to I believe 200VAC. From that main transformer it feeds everything else including the 24VDC power supply. When I started trouble shooting and pouring over the manuals I found that the nominal voltage for AC is between 245 and 255, but was getting ~270. So I dropped it to 250VAC off the main transformer.

Dropping the AC to 250VAC means the output voltage for the 24VDC power supply would drop from ~33VDC to 30VDC bringing it closer to the 28VDC nominal the manual says.

Now, regardless of the new voltage drop the problem is still there AND the machine had been running at a higher voltage for several years. Also X and Y axis are powered through the same relay so they are essentially getting the same voltage coming in and if you remember, I can control the Y axis without problems through the Apple controller.

And before you might think that there might be a problem with the drive, there's not. Not only have I had it tested, but I've swapped X and Y drives and the problem stays in X position (not the X drive).

The only thing I can think of that is left is either some problem with the Pac/Mac interface board or something with the Apple controller. Though it's less likely to be the Apple than the interface board.

But why receive that particular fault when power is applied? That's what I don't get. And why only X and not Y when both are coming off the same power relay?

Downloads
    Uploads

so what about my idea of taking the 2 speed command wires from interface board to x drive off and turning on?? dont u think this is a logical thing to try? time for bed here so Im off but let me know if you try it, what the result is.

next thing might be to swap x & y outputs between x&y drives and motors; ie., can u take x command and put into y and vice versa? see if it stays with interface board that way? maybe t his would not be useful since u swapped drives, not sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like I was right all along with it being the Servos. Yeah, I did take them and the drive to Uptime Electronics here in SoCal for testing. Yeah they told me that they were sending the right signals. But after getting them back and trying them again and again and checking all connections everywhere it was still faulting.

This morning for S&Gs, I put both of the servos I had that were used in X (that i assumed bad and had tested by Uptime) in both the X and Y position and they both faulted. So then I took them both to another repair shop up in Oxnard and the guy there hooked them up and showed me right away that they were out of phase. They counted alright, but since the phasing was off, they wouldn't work properly and that's why they would fault.

The encoders need to be repaired/replaced and i should have them back by the end of the week.

I've been tearing my hair out with this thing thinking there was some other problem because I was assured the servos were working properly. I should have stuck with my gut and gotten a second opinion right away.

I'll give a final update after I get the servos back to see if the machine runs. But I have a strong feeling it will.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I have the BRU200 original Reliance manual.
    It did not upload due to size, if you need it P.M. me an email address.
    Al.
    Hi Al, I've become crazy searching for the Electro-Craft BRU 200 DM-20 manual.
    Please could you upload it, or send it to me?

I'm basically stuck in ports pinouts like knowing step/dir, encoder pins, jumpers descriptions, diagnostic leds meanings...

I would be undescriptively gratefull if you facilitate the manual, or any uploaded or typed information to make my servodrives run.

Also to know what kind of encoders does it support: quadrature and/or SinCos encoders. (I've got AB brushless AC servomotors with high resolution SinCos encoders)

Best Regards,
    Rod.-

Downloads
    Uploads

27mb in size: Bru 200 & 500 drive manual.PDF

send me an email address that can accept that size file and I will send right away

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    27mb in size: Bru 200 & 500 drive manual.PDF

send me an email address that can accept that size file and I will send right away
    wow that's huge, man!!
    25mb is my limit.
    The solution: You can compress it. Even, WinZip can compress to multiple volumes.
    You can specify volumes of the size you want, like 2mb, 5mb, 10mb... any size you choose or specify.

Sorry to bother. Thanks a lot!

Downloads
    Uploads

ok zipped is same size; making it in 2 junks. but still no email adress to send to!

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

never mind; my zip break up choices jump from 360k to 100mb. just send me ur email so I can send u link, and I will put it on my ftp site for you for 30 minutes.

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    ok zipped is same size; making it in 2 junks. but still no email adress to send to!
    oh that's true...
    rodmore2 'at' hotmail...

thanks!!

Downloads
    Uploads

email sent with link

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a problem I have the manual just under 5mb.
    IIRC the drive only accepts analogue, not step/dir you are looking for?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If you have a problem I have the manual just under 5mb.
    IIRC the drive only accepts analogue, not step/dir you are looking for?
    Al.
    AL, mike_Kilroy kindly gave me access to his 27mb pdf version of the instruction manual. I downloaded it and it is what I expected. Now it's a bit heavy to carry in my old PalmOS Treo 680. If you can, it would be nice that light version.

PD: If the servodrive does not have step/dir inputs, how do I control position? It means it does not suit for robotic or CNC applications?

Rod.-

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RodSTAR View Post
    PD: If the servodrive does not have step/dir inputs, how do I control position? It means it does not suit for robotic or CNC applications?

Rod.-
    Analogue or ±10vdc has been used for decades in industrial motion control & CNC, the step/dir became popular because of the simple P.P. output.
    Also look up Trans-conductance amplifier.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you pls email me BRU-200 manual?
    Thanks a lot

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reliance BRU-200

Could you kindly please forward me this manual as well. I require to look at the wiring details for the encoder port.
    tadija.bajic@gmail.com

Thankyou

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12