Newbie Mitsubishi Servo and Drivers (HC-PQ a& MR-C).. problem wiring correctly

Thread: Mitsubishi Servo and Drivers (HC-PQ a& MR-C).. problem wiring correctly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mitsubishi Servo and Drivers (HC-PQ a& MR-C).. problem wiring correctly

Planning a mill project (its my 1st time at this) and came across a set of Mitsubishi HC-PQ 43 servos and matched MR-C drivers at a good price..

I'm struggling to get them to work at all though.. the drives and servos themselves are fine - the drivers show no errors; in manual mode, I can jog back and forward from the driver I/F..

I can't for the life of me seem to get them to work driven by my PC though (Mach3). The I/F itself is fine (I have tested the pin outs all work as expected showing 4.5v or so), but whatever pin combination for step and direction I try on the drivers, I get nothing..

I am working from the mitsubishi manual, which you can see here:

http://78.136.49.242/branch/database...i6uug7lnthc696

I am sure that someone is going to tell me I've been stupid and overlooked something obvious here (one things I read suggested that the driver required 24v logic rather than 5v).. but like I say this is all new to me and I'l having to learn as I go.. any help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fcp View Post
    I am sure that someone is going to tell me I've been stupid and overlooked something obvious here (one things I read suggested that the driver required 24v logic rather than 5v).. but like I say this is all new to me and I'l having to learn as I go.. any help would be appreciated.
    It would be a good idea to show how you hooked it up, and what is the nature of your BOB output device?, but just skimming through, PP & NP, if this is where you are inputing, require 24vdc sink device, (the input sources).
    If so it could be easily done using a 2n7000 5v to 24v buffer. on each line, if the Mits does not have a source of 24vdc, most do, you would have to supply your own. (re-checking, it looks like you have to supply it).
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Look at page 3.7 & 3.9, it gives details of the option of using 5v instead of 24v.
    Pin 16 for 5v.
    You can only use one or the other for inputs, however.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the pointers.. I am out of my depth here, sorry for the ignorant questions..

As it was setup I had the direction output (which is 5v low TTL from a RS232 I think -driven by Mach3) going to pin 9 (PP) and direction to pin 7 (NP), the only other connection was ground to pins 5 and 12.. Are you saying that it needs an additional 5v (or 24v) input? I thought the whole point was that the I/F provided 5v control signal?

To tell the truth though, this was just guesswork, I am not even sure what the difference between 'Open COllector' and 'Differential Receiver' types is..

Downloads
    Uploads

Right off, RS232 is not TTL, RS232 is a serial interface standard which looks like the drive will accept for set up.
    If you need to control from the Parallel port via mach, which is step direction, this is 5v TTL.
    Are you using the PC parallel port?
    If so you need to read the pages in section 3 for hookup, you need to supply 5v to term 16 and reference your output common to SG.
    I agree it sounds like a lot of guess work is going on here.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, PC Parallel port is what I am using, not serial..

So to recap, pin 16 needs +5v and pin 5 (SG) needs the associated common. OK got that.

Having re-read section3 though, I'm none the wiser about which of the other pins is step and which is direction. Have I got this the wrong way around, is it not the parallel port interface that normally supplies the 5v control signals?

anyway, its getting late here (UK), so I think I'll start afresh tomorrow.. thanks for humouring me :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

It is a bit cumbersome to page through the PDF, but It looks on the surface that if you input PP & NP and take the SG to the 5v port common and feed pin 16 with 5v it should be OK.
    I would recommend reading the manual in depth first.
    BTW, do you have the set up software for them?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al,

Its been a couple of weeks since I last looked at this.. I have taken the time to read the manual cover to cover though..which was useful.. You were right re. the 5V feed.. supplying that and a signal to pin 19 got the servo fired up, but I still can't get it to work as expected.. to explain:

Supplying step and direction to pin 7 and 8 gets forward motion OK but not reverse..
    Conversely, ping 9 and 10 give me reverse, but not forward... !?! (I am using Mach3 to cycle in test mode)

Even more strangely, it makes no difference which way round step and direction are actually connected.. nor does it make a difference whether I set pins as Active High or Low..

I've searched online to find a reference to what the PP / PG / NP / NG inputs are, but no luck.. the manual seems to suggest that this servo requires inputs to different sets of pins for forward / reverse though (as opposed to an input for 'Direction').. confused I am !

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you try setting the pulse type parameter #7 on page 5-6 shows the different type of pulse signals in, try setting P7 to 011 or 001.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mitsubishi Servo and Drivers (HC-PQ a& MR-C).. problem wiring correctly

i have old machine mqcinurcal made in france i wanna will make anew control i will use mach 3 can some one help me to that
    thankes