Problem New drivers for old fanuc dc servos

Thread: New drivers for old fanuc dc servos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New drivers for old fanuc dc servos

I am rebuilding an old Bridgeport 520 vmc equipped with fanuc dc servos ( two model 5M and one model 10M ) , the mechanics of the machine are in excellent conditions , but the control are completely dead . The idea on the motors is to fit encoders and drive them with modern drivers , Gecko 320´s or others . My question is what driver can manage that motors ? I dont have any documentation of the machine and can´t find almost anything about this machine . Any info : manuals , specs , and opinions are welcome . Thanks in advance .

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New drivers for old fanuc dc servos

Those are fairly high torque motors and requires a hefty drive, you may have a problem finding step/dir drives if that is the system you intend.
    Also they should normally have encoders on them.
    What is the Fanuc control version?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to respond . The motors ( direct coupled ) have tachogenerators inside and the ballscrews have encoders but they are older ones with sinusoidal outputs . The ballscrews are 10 mm lead , so i can accept some loses in final velocity on the motors because the 80 volt max of the drivers , but i dont know if the 20 amp max current can give me sufficient torque peak . I dont want a full industrial rebuild on the machine for economic reasons , instead , the idea is to use mach3 to control . The old control are a Heidenhain tnc 155 , but the only part working well is the spindle drive . This machine have a premature fail in the electronics that has never been repaired , have at least 20 years unused but well conserved mechanics , the only problem to solve is the control .

Last edited by Ernesto411; 12-31-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ernesto411,

Check out http://axcontrol.com, They have quite a few older/refurbished Fanec Servo motors that may have some specs on them. Best of luck to you!

Downloads
    Uploads

You could look at the CNCdrive DG4S-16035. Its rated closer to the voltage rating of the 10M.

https://cnc4pc.com/catalog/product/v.../category/132/

Centroid all in one unit may be worth a look, its an integrated driver/control option. I think the drives are rated up to 180v.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks WesM , that driver ( DG4S ) looks adecuate , the centroid's are the best option but their cost ( in my country we paid 50 % more in taxes to import ) is prohibitive for me , and i not discard the gecko 320´s ( i only need half the speed of the motors because the ballscrews are 10 mm lead ) . For the moment im disassembling the entire machine to clean ( it has a very long time stopped ) and to relocate them in mi shop. Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

After a long time dismantling , fixing minor problems and relocating the machine ( including passing each component through a 27-inch-wide door ) i start testing the motors with Gecko 320x drivers ( i find a local dealer of them ) and the results are very promising : 220 inches / minute in rapids . The installation was very economical, the transformer was reused ( after reducing the output voltage to 44 volt swaping turns on the coils ) , the three phase rectifiers and capacitors filters were reused too . Now wiring the limits to starting machining tests . The most difficult part was the disassembly of the motors to reduce the diameter of the rear shaft to fit the Amt102 encoders , to avoid demagnetizing the rotors were replaced with 1020 steel rods while machining the shafts .

Last edited by Ernesto411; 06-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The results are not spectacular, but enough considering that they allow to reuse these old motors at very low cost. I was very surprised by the performance of Gecko drivers, very small in size but able to control these large motors .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try the Viper V200F, they should work Ok for these servos.

Downloads
    Uploads

For the moment i'm very satisfied with the geckos 320x , can't use more than 200 ipm in rapids but is a 7500 lbs machine and they have a dealer in my country , the next improvement would be install ac servos . One example of what the machine can do at the moment : milling circular holes in 4140 steel 80mm diameter 10mm deep with 0.02mm max deviation of circularity , positioning precision of 0.04mm in 300mm ( i believe this can be improved with better coupling on the amts encoders ) .