Need Help! Servo motor and no drive

Thread: Servo motor and no drive

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Servo motor and no drive

I picked up 3 unused linear actuators, they are about 15 years old and still in sealed bags. I opened one to get information to find little information. Most of the writing is in Japanese. Searching for the model number has given me a little information about travel length, load, speed, ball screw diameter, and servo motor wattage. These are nice, and I would like to make a CNC out of them. 2 for X, 1 for Y. Ill have to figure out something for Z.

Model # IS-L-X-UWX-20-400-1600-AQ
    Manufactured 1990
    IAI has a close match, and the photos in the manual look like the same thing, but the motor is different.

What I have confirmed is I have 1600mm travel, 20mm ball screw, and 80kg load bearings. Not much.

Looks like the servo motor is 400 Watt, according to model number.

I have removed the cover and removed the motor, the thrust bearing for the ball screw is built into the motor housing, then coupling, and motor bearings. Replacing the motor will be difficult.

The only marking on the motor is a hand written 60V.
    Spinning the motor I measure 42 Volts.
    Shorting A and C wires on the motor, then turning the shaft, I feel 4 snaps each turn. 4 pole motor.
    I know the original servo drive was 100 volt powered, and no longer available. The reason these were sent to the recyclers.

Looking at the encoder, I find 16384 written on the encoder wheel, 2 sets of photo couplers, 1 IC labeled 26C31, and 8 wires. Looked up the IC and determined I have a quadrature encoder, with differential A, B, Z.

Now I am stuck
    I suspect the motor is 4 pole, 60 volts, 400 watt. with a 16384 pulse per revolution incremental encoder. How can I confirm the voltage?

I have started looking at drives and am looking for suggestions. Right now I am reading the Ioni drive manual from Granite Devices, and going to hook up the encoder to verify the encoder.

Too many projects...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Servo motor and no drive

You might want to post a photo, someone might recognize the unit.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by combustionmark View Post
    I picked up 3 unused linear actuators, they are about 15 years old and still in sealed bags. I opened one to get information to find little information. Most of the writing is in Japanese. Searching for the model number has given me a little information about travel length, load, speed, ball screw diameter, and servo motor wattage. These are nice, and I would like to make a CNC out of them. 2 for X, 1 for Y. Ill have to figure out something for Z.

Model # IS-L-X-UWX-20-400-1600-AQ
    Manufactured 1990
    IAI has a close match, and the photos in the manual look like the same thing, but the motor is different.

What I have confirmed is I have 1600mm travel, 20mm ball screw, and 80kg load bearings. Not much.

Looks like the servo motor is 400 Watt, according to model number.

I have removed the cover and removed the motor, the thrust bearing for the ball screw is built into the motor housing, then coupling, and motor bearings. Replacing the motor will be difficult.

The only marking on the motor is a hand written 60V.
    Spinning the motor I measure 42 Volts.
    Shorting A and C wires on the motor, then turning the shaft, I feel 4 snaps each turn. 4 pole motor.
    I know the original servo drive was 100 volt powered, and no longer available. The reason these were sent to the recyclers.

Looking at the encoder, I find 16384 written on the encoder wheel, 2 sets of photo couplers, 1 IC labeled 26C31, and 8 wires. Looked up the IC and determined I have a quadrature encoder, with differential A, B, Z.

Now I am stuck
    I suspect the motor is 4 pole, 60 volts, 400 watt. with a 16384 pulse per revolution incremental encoder. How can I confirm the voltage?

I have started looking at drives and am looking for suggestions. Right now I am reading the Ioni drive manual from Granite Devices, and going to hook up the encoder to verify the encoder.

Too many projects...

Yes, I totally agree with @cncman172 , it will be helpful you provide a photo.