New Machine Build Two speeds required for a measuring machine

Thread: Two speeds required for a measuring machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Two speeds required for a measuring machine

Hi,
    I'm designing a machine that is supposed to make some measurements on small metal parts (say 100mmX30mm LxD max).
    In order to make these measurements, the parts must be rotated at high speed (13000 to 20000 rpm) and at very low speed (say 5rpm).
    These parts to be measured are mainly turned parts, therefore the "high speed" rotation can be easily made with a low power spindle (in fact, no metal working has to be made, just rotation).

Here are my doubts (I'm an engineer, but mostly in the automation/IT field and I have little mechanical and electronic experience):

1. Because the parts to be measured are different from each other, the best way to hold them into the measuring machine would be in a way similar to how they were placed into the lathe when machined. Therefore I suppose it is required to have some kind of standard connection like a morse taper down the motor shaft, to allow the operator to switch between say a 3-jaw chuck and a tailstock, which one is more suited to hold the part.
    => can I achieve this with a low power spindle, the ones that usually are sold with ER11/ER16 clamps? I mean, can I replace those ER clamps with standard chucks, tailstocks, and other morse taper accessories?

2. For the low speed rotation, I suppose I cant use the same spindle motor, that is not designed for such low rpms, am I right?

I hope I didn't write too many non-sense! Thank you for your help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Two speeds required for a measuring machine

If you're rotating things at 20,000 rpm, they need to be very well-balanced, or there will be a lot of vibration that would throw off any measurements you're trying to make. It can also be dangerous. If these are turned parts, you need to make sure they are held the same way they were when they were made; refixturing can cause the balance to shift.

I'm not sure what sorts of measurements require that much speed, but normal spindles are not meant for this sort of use. Look into high-speed lathes if this is what you're trying to do - and maybe try to figure out a way to make your measurements at about a tenth that much speed. If this isn't your area of expertise, consult with a mechanical engineer to get a little reality on the situation - it doesn't really sound feasible to me.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Two speeds required for a measuring machine

Thank you Andrew for your reply.
    Actually, the measurement part happens during the slow rotation, but the high speed rotation is still required.
    I got a first prototype built, wich was tested with parts 13x75 mm (DxH), it runs at 13000 rpm, there is kind of a "cover" which comes down on the part while it rotates, for protection.
    And yes, there are some vibrations but I must say that I achieved the configuration by assembling a small motor (and I mean really small, like 2.5mm shaft to give you an idea!), a flexible joint, bearings and a custom part holder: it was not really a "perfect job" (I got about 0.05mm runout on the part holder external surface) but it was acceptable. I assume I will get much better results even with a cheap spindle like this one: (running 400hz = 24000 rpm in the video).

I'm just wondering if it is easy (and quick) for the operator to switch from the ER collet to a chuck, and a tailstock, on such spindles. Is there a morse taper "under" the ER collet?